denphone
03-03-2016, 18:24
Looks alright to me.

Hom3r
03-03-2016, 18:59
Not sure about the revamped theme

v0id
04-03-2016, 14:59
This looks like some rubbish fan fiction or a parody of Ghostbusters.

Just ..nope

alanbjames
04-03-2016, 18:51
I think it looks like just one big joke like the Scary Movies series.

Gavin78
04-03-2016, 19:07
I'm hoping there is more to this but I have to agree the whole thing looks a mess from the trailer

Stephen
05-03-2016, 05:57
After a few viewings of the trailer it has grown on my and I am intrigued to see it..

I will give it a chance. I do really like the new version of the theme.

Also anyone notice the lab scenes are actually in the firehouse.

Also slimer was there and in the time square clip there was an advert for 's really big' Twinkie.

So many nods to the original films that I think there maybe more to the film than we are being led to believe.

Otherwise too much of a waste of time to reference it so much.

Russ
05-03-2016, 06:18
I'm already put off by the stereotypes: the smart "bookish" one, the jolly "fat" one, the spiky haired "ballsy" one and the black "uh uh, you ain't messing with me" one.

techguyone
05-03-2016, 10:38
It's a 'female empowerment' movie, that makes it unwatchable. Not that I'm against woman power, but any of those type of 'empowerment' genre things tries too hard and spoils the movie. I'm not a huge fan of remakes anyway, invariably they make it worse.

Stephen
05-03-2016, 13:22
For one its a reboot not a remake. Two totally different things.

Second The Director Fieg makes a lot of women centric movies and for the most part they are actually pretty good.

Thirdly people placing hate on it all over the internet for its female cast, pretty awful two be honest.

I was against the film as I love the original movies and the cartoon and the idea of a reboot/sequel with a new cast put me off. However now having seen the trailer I think it will be a funny and decent movie but not perfection or brillance.

Anyone see Spy last year? That was a great movie starring one of the leads and by the same director.

I still have my worries but am willing to give it a chance,

techguyone
05-03-2016, 14:35
Whatever.

It'll be crap, wait and see.

Stuart
06-03-2016, 17:15
I'm already put off by the stereotypes: the smart "bookish" one, the jolly "fat" one, the spiky haired "ballsy" one and the black "uh uh, you ain't messing with me" one.

Because, of course, the original didn't have stereotypical characters. The film was both exciting and funny partly (IMO) because the characters were stereotypes.

I like how people already seem to be convinced they know if the film is going to good or not based on the minute or so of footage they have seen. Personally, I don't find trailers to be a good indicator of how good a film is.. I thought the trailers for the original Ghostbusters and Star Trek: The Wrath Of Kahn made both films look awful, but loved both films (and have bought both in multiple formats). I thought the trailer for Indecent Proposal (the 1993 film in which Robert Redford pays Demi Moore millions to spend the night with him), and the trailer for Skyline looked brilliant. In both cases, I hate the film.

I'll reserve my judgement until I have seen the film, but the trailer (IMO) makes it look fairly good.

Maggy
07-03-2016, 09:11
I just hate unoriginality in the film industry and this is an example..who is it aimed at anyway?Women? Well this woman wants to see intelligent use of men and women in intelligent SF films..

techguyone
07-03-2016, 09:18
Any film aimed firmly for one demographic is normally poor, as it's entirely focused on promoting the view, rather than the story. Or entertainment.

One day we'll get original films again you can watch for the yanno... entertainment value, without looking for a hidden agenda/message.

And for god's sake just Stop. With the reboots/remakes/ripoffs.

Stop It
07-03-2016, 11:39
Any film aimed firmly for one demographic is normally poor, as it's entirely focused on promoting the view, rather than the story. Or entertainment.

One day we'll get original films again you can watch for the yanno... entertainment value, without looking for a hidden agenda/message.

And for god's sake just Stop. With the reboots/remakes/ripoffs.
Wow.

I take it you have no problem with "normal" action films, which have been squarely aimed for the 18-35 white male audience for decades?

There are plenty of original films out there, and the indie scene is getting bigger (Just look at the success of Sundance) so that's a non answer as well. Hollywood is Hollywood and always plays to the LCD, which is perfectly fine. Not every film needs to be Citizen Kane.

Anyway, this film is basically saying that Ghostbusters would've been fun if it had an all female leading cast. Which, so long as it is well made, is very true. The only agenda here is in your head I'm afraid. A good film is a good film and this film needs to be judged on its merits.

We've seen decent reboots, and bad ones, just like with original screenplays, again, it's best to judge on a case by case basis rather than writing off entire swathes of content based on the premise only.

Stephen
07-03-2016, 12:38
I just hate unoriginality in the film industry and this is an example..who is it aimed at anyway?Women? Well this woman wants to see intelligent use of men and women in intelligent SF films..

I don't think its aimed at women.

The directer has female leads in nearly all his films. Its just his 'thing'

Paul
07-03-2016, 15:39
Hmmmmm, lots of good films in the summer, so might have to give this one a miss, not over impressed by the trailer.

Ignitionnet
07-03-2016, 16:26
This looks pretty dire and the controversy it's ignited is beyond parody.

The like:dislike ratio on the trailer tells a story. We'll see if that translates into poor box office.

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

I don't think its aimed at women.

Maybe. Maybe not. (http://static2.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ghostbusters-girl-power.jpg)

If it was going for the Social Justice Warrior / Feminist audience it seems to have failed on that one for not being 'intersectional' enough.

If it wasn't it seems to have given enough of an impression that it is to produce immediate disdain among the anti-SJW crew.

The social media drama will probably be more exciting than the movie.

Stephen
07-03-2016, 17:46
At the end of the day, it was only the first trailer and there will probably be more before the release date. So the next one may change peoples opinions.

I still think it will suck but am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

For a 'reboot' there are far too many nods and throwbacks to the original movies/cartoon.

For a reboot to work there needs to be little or no ties to the original version. For example the recent Trek movies. Kept the characters and premise but tried to change a lot. Robocop changed almost everything.

This seems like a mash up of a reboot and remake. But the marketing company don't really know what it is. If it really is a full reboot then there was no need to mention the original movie, there was no need for the logo, theme song, car, slimer, proton packs, fire station, the three scientists and one normal team member.

Damien
07-03-2016, 20:17
I like some of the cast so I'll certainly watch it.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

This looks pretty dire and the controversy it's ignited is beyond parody.

The like:dislike ratio on the trailer tells a story. We'll see if that translates into poor box office.

At least some of those dislikes are coming from Men's Rights types getting angry on Reddit that the women are taking over. The film may be still be rubbish but at least some people aren't going to be interested because they replaced the menz.

Hugh
07-03-2016, 21:34
They were equally unhappy with Mad Max:Fury Road and Star Wars:The Force Awakens.

Russ
08-03-2016, 07:34
At least some of those dislikes are coming from Men's Rights types getting angry on Reddit that the women are taking over. The film may be still be rubbish but at least some people aren't going to be interested because they replaced the menz.

:wavey: Men's Rights supporter here.

I generally don't like all-women main cast films. Not a chauvinist thing at all and I'm not saying I think they're bad films because of women, I just don't find them appealing. I actually watched Spy as I like spy-type films but didn't enjoy it due to the girly-humour but more because of what I felt was OTT 'empowerment' which these days often feels exaggerated. Again I'm not against female empowerment at all but I think the target audience was women and I suspect GB will be aimed that way too. Similar to how many women wouldn't enjoy immature testosterone-fuelled films like the Expendables, the Hangover etc.

(And the for the record, anyone who has me on Facebook will know how much I loved The Force Awakens - at no point did the non-issue of a female lead cross my mind, I thought she was awesome and look forward to her character development.)

Don't get me wrong, I hope GB does well and I'm sure it will (and as long as it's a freebie ticket I might even go along) but I'm not looking forward to it as I would be with a male cast - I was a huge fan as a child of the first two and with what I consider to be such a deviation from the originals, it wouldn't be the same.

Maggy
08-03-2016, 10:09
I haven't any issues with the substitution of women for men.I just hate the unoriginality of
apparently making something more original by substituting characters with a different sex or ethnic/racial characteristic.
By all means make an SF film with an all women cast if you must but use an original story..Even better make one where both sexes have equal input as strong characters but it has an original unique storyline and isn't a sad repeat at trying to reboot an old,old,old much loved original.

Pierre
08-03-2016, 11:45
Meh......

Interesting to note that once again the black character is the jobbing employee whilst the white characters are the clever scientists.

Paul
08-03-2016, 12:17
Nope, its really not interesting.

Pierre
08-03-2016, 13:48
Nope, its really not interesting.

Possibly not too some. To those that are bit more cerebral it may be.

damien c
08-03-2016, 16:03
Yet another reboot of a series because no one seems to be able to come up with a new idea for a film.

Not got a idea myself for one but seriously all these reboots etc are getting boring now.

Paul
08-03-2016, 21:53
Possibly not too some. To those that are bit more cerebral it may be.
Nope, its really not interesting to us.

Pierre
09-03-2016, 06:39
Nope, its really not interesting to us.

Really? I'm just impressed you know what cerebral meant. Good for you.

BTW are you speaking on behalf of your mum, or your street?

techguyone
09-03-2016, 11:09
The interested/not interested split here seems to be the same as elsewhere unconnected and on the net.

It's going to be a turkey, next year it'll be first in line for a razzie.

Look at this picture and tell me with a straight face this will be a cinematic classic, loved by millions, for generations... Like the original was.

Stephen
09-03-2016, 11:17
As I said earlier, I am concerned it will be awful but I am not closing my mind on it yet. I will go see it and then decide.

The other thing is that Ivan Reitman and Dan Akroyd are heading up a production company called Ghostcorps and will be making other Ghostbusters movies both live action and animated.

Currently there is no script but Channing tatum and Chris Pratt are possible stars for the first live action movie.

Stephen
09-03-2016, 14:29
New International trailer

Lots of new footage making it a better trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egs6RfGenvg

Also the Four Scientists are now four friends!

techguyone
09-03-2016, 14:38
A turd polished... is still a turd.

Stephen
09-03-2016, 15:05
Remember its only a 2 min trailer for possibly a 2 hour movie. Doesn't really give the full story.

Stephen
18-05-2016, 17:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMfUjDnpfRY

New trailer

This has a much better feel about it and has me more interested now.

Also as much as its a reboot I am glad they have kept the theme :) Slimer looks great too.

At the end of it, that is NOT the Stay Puft Marshmallow man. Its Rowan who is the bg bad in this.

adzii_nufc
26-05-2016, 22:24
That second trailer still gave me no desire to see this movie at all. Mccarthy is quickly becoming my female Adam Sandler, just plain annoying to watch, tolerable and funny at first much like Sandler was early on but then cheesy dire comedy after comedy quickly makes me unbelievably bored of the pair of them. I don't even think the plot from the trailer looks that bad nor does the new theme but the cast and the vehicle changes just left me underwhelmed.

I would genuinely like the above idea of Pratt on board and I don't care for female cast members so long as they're actually tolerable. Its not a feminism issue, it'd still stink with four bad male leads but I just can't get behind this cast at all.

They could throw the entire cast of the hangover in there as the four and instantly produce something better and funnier.

Each to their own though, my partner still likes Sandler! Bound to be plenty that like Mccarthy too.

Stephen
26-05-2016, 23:08
This is the new International version of the second trailer and it really is a million times better! Some genuinely funny moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWhD20mb0y0

Original version of the theme too. Think that might be what now getting me excited!