PDA

View Full Version : Wall Socket Query

scott mcg
13-12-2015, 23:18
Hey Folks,

Just trying to figure out what is going on with the telephone and internet wiring around my house. Can someone help me make sense of things?

http://s12.postimg.org/4cq0wo9zx/phone_line_2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free upload image (http://postimage.org/)

The image above shows the master socket at my house.

The white cable entering the box from the right side of the picture (red arrows) comes from a telephone pole outside the house. It is active, as when i disconnect the wiring at a junction box upstream of the master socket, the phone line and internet both drop out immediately.

I cannot ascertain where the grey leads at the bottom are coming from, but look like they have been added more recently. I have not tested these at all.

Inside the master socket the white cable and grey cables are connected to each other and the master socket, then feed out to my microfilter etc as expected.

My question - if internet and phone are coming from the white cable, what are the 2 grey cables for?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Scott

progers
14-12-2015, 00:05
Scott, they are probably cables to extension sockets

qasdfdsaq
14-12-2015, 14:02
Agreed. Extension sockets to other parts of the house.

rhyds
14-12-2015, 14:24
Just to check, are the grey cables connected to the punch down connectors on the master socket front plate or to the screw terminals? Some enterprising souls connect extensions to the screw terminals and cause all sorts of fun

scott mcg
16-12-2015, 15:16
Thanks for the responses everyone.

The grey cables are connected to the white wire with what look like wire nuts (but appear a little different) and also the screw terminals if i remember correctly but will take a photo and post again.

I left out some detail last time - the white cable leading from the mast outside the house in to the master socket also branches off 'en route' to the master socket via little junction boxes which lead to other phone sockets around the house, some for the phone and some for a now broken defunct internal comms system (the house has 3 levels so clearly installed to avoid screaming at each other from 2 levels away), so I was surprised that the grey cables would also be extension sockets.

Will post a pic soon as my rambling is probably just confusing things for those in the know.

Also does anyone know if I get fibreoptic put in - will this likely just come from the cabinet in the street to my master socket via the wiring that is there already, or will a new line be installed? will I get phone functionality as well as internet via this fibreoptic line?

Cheers

rhyds
16-12-2015, 15:21
"Fibre" installs usually involve sticking a filter on your master socket (no extra wiring needed) and you'll get phone service as usual.

scott mcg
18-12-2015, 17:09
Dear All,

Went to take a a picture of the master socket with the face plate removed but the mess of wires in there is so extreme it wouldn't have been fair to expect a sensible assessment by anyone!

Tempted just to remove the whole mess and start again with a new master socket where the original cable enters the building!

Thanks for the help anyway. Have signed up for fibreoptic broadband so hopefully my crappy in house wiring doesn't slow the speed down too much.

Cheers

Scott

pip08456
22-12-2015, 00:07
Remove the bottom half of the faceplate and plug the filter into the test socket.

Make sure all the extentions are dead. If so there's nothing wrong with the wiring even though it may look a mess.