PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a previous caller

ArsMoriendi
08-06-2015, 16:06
Do virgin media keep records of who has phoned you? I know there's 1471 but I'm looking for someone who phoned before the last call.

Chris
08-06-2015, 16:15
Most modern telephone handsets record at least the last 5 or 10 numbers to call you. You have to have caller ID activated on your line, and you may have to pay a small monthly fee for that, but TBH I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have called ID. It's essential these days even if you just want to screen out annoying marketing calls.

To answer the original question: no, I don't believe they routinely keep a record of inbound calls. That would probably be a breach of your data privacy.

qasdfdsaq
08-06-2015, 16:27
but TBH I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have called ID. It's essential these days even if you just want to screen out annoying marketing calls.
For that very reason alone, that it's an essential basic service yet you have to pay extra for it on VM.

To answer the original question: no, I don't believe they routinely keep a record of inbound calls. That would probably be a breach of your data privacy.
Quite the opposite. It would be illegal for them to not keep a record of all inbound and outbound calls for at least a year.

Chris
08-06-2015, 16:43
For that very reason alone, that it's an essential basic service yet you have to pay extra for it on VM.

Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. :confused: If it's essential, surely you get it, even if you have to pay for it?

Quite the opposite. It would be illegal for them to not keep a record of all inbound and outbound calls for at least a year.

Fair point, however what hoops are required in order for that record to be released?

nashville
08-06-2015, 16:55
Caller ID is a great thing. I was getting pestered with someone, who knew I went out on certain nights and phoned to see if we could drive them to their destination and back home again. I just got sick of it as they used to say, "I will phone you when I need you", So now I don't answer her calls. Do not mind helping people out but they just took it for granted .

qasdfdsaq
08-06-2015, 17:34
Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face. :confused: If it's essential, surely you get it, even if you have to pay for it?
If you use a landline, perhaps. Since it's free on everything but landlines, it's easy to avoid.

Fair point, however what hoops are required in order for that record to be released?
For the police, a few button clicks on a website does the job. For the individual user, I'm not sure if it would come under a FOI request or not. Ideally you'd just phone up and ask but in practice I don't think anyone actually has the appropriate call centre procedures to handle such a request.

Chris
08-06-2015, 20:36
If you use a landline, perhaps. Since it's free on everything but landlines, it's easy to avoid.

It's only easy to avoid if your lifestyle and/or work patterns make it more convenient to live your entire life by mobile rather than with a landline. For rather a lot of people that's not the case. In the OP's case, the answer clearly isn't "avoid" the cost of caller ID by not using a landline. Not ours either, for that matter. Nothing screams "temporary" or "untrustworthy" louder, when you run a business from home, than providing only a mobile phone number for customers.

qasdfdsaq
08-06-2015, 22:40
It's only easy to avoid if your lifestyle and/or work patterns make it more convenient to live your entire life by mobile rather than with a landline. For rather a lot of people that's not the case.
Name one thing you can do with a landline you can't do with a mobile?

Not ours either, for that matter. Nothing screams "temporary" or "untrustworthy" louder, when you run a business from home, than providing only a mobile phone number for customers.

Personally, I think the opposite. A mobile number screams "responsive" and "always available" and "contactable whatever the circumstances". But even ignoring that, if you think your image centres around having a geographical number then get a mobile with a geographical number.

Chris
08-06-2015, 22:51
... None of which addresses the OP. Let's stick to the topic now. ;)

ArsMoriendi
08-06-2015, 23:17
Name one thing you can do with a landline you can't do with a mobile

Make a phone call lol. The signal in my house is non-existant and outside is scarcely any better even without goddam traffic noise.

BTW my OP was stupidly written. I should have just said that we think a call we got last week was not from who they claimed to be because we phoned the actual organisation today and they had no idea what we were talking about and they log every call they make so I want to know if I can call Virgin and they can tell us whether it was them or not.

progers
09-06-2015, 08:28
They will only normally release details of the call to authorities such as police

qasdfdsaq
09-06-2015, 10:12
Make a phone call lol. The signal in my house is non-existant and outside is scarcely any better even without goddam traffic noise.
As you seem to have internet access you can make mobile calls over that as well.

BTW my OP was stupidly written. I should have just said that we think a call we got last week was not from who they claimed to be because we phoned the actual organisation today and they had no idea what we were talking about and they log every call they make so I want to know if I can call Virgin and they can tell us whether it was them or not.
To be fair that's quite a common occurrence, particularly among mobile companies where acquisition subsidies are high.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

They will only normally release details of the call to authorities such as police
AIUI I don't see why they are not required to release it to the customer as well. Being DPA data controllers and all.

Chris
09-06-2015, 11:24
As you seem to have internet access you can make mobile calls over that as well.

To be fair that's quite a common occurrence, particularly among mobile companies where acquisition subsidies are high.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

AIUI I don't see why they are not required to release it to the customer as well. Being DPA data controllers and all.

There is a subtle difference between what is technically possible and what is readily accessible for a non-technical consumer. There are costs to switching to entirely mobile or VoIP solutions, both in cash and in knowledge terms.

The fact is, a landline is the simplest, cheapest and most reliable solution for home telephony and broadband, for those who know that most of their calls will be made and received at home.

That being the case, the OP question comes back to VM's ability (or otherwise) to provide the information he requires. I suspect, if the data is being collected and stored, that no interface exists that would allow a CSR to readily access and relate that data to the customer during a phone enquiry. What procedures exist, most likely involve the data controller and the paying of a fee.

qasdfdsaq
09-06-2015, 12:00
There is a subtle difference between what is technically possible and what is readily accessible for a non-technical consumer. There are costs to switching to entirely mobile or VoIP solutions, both in cash and in knowledge terms.
All major mobile networks provide a "plug it in and go" home transmitter or phones with built-in apps that seamlessly connect over IP, so there's little in knowledge terms. In cash, possibly, but mobile often turns out cheaper regardless. Just the cost of basic line rental + charge for caller ID will get you both for free, plus unlimited free calls on mobile. While ignorance of better solutions is the main reason most people stick with incumbent providers, it doesn't work for me.

The fact is, a landline is the simplest, cheapest and most reliable solution for home telephony and broadband, for those who know that most of their calls will be made and received at home.
Broadband, most of the time. Telephony wise, I'm yet to see any landline solutions that are cheaper than an appropriate mobile deal, unless said landline is already required for broadband (which it isn't on VM).

That being the case, the OP question comes back to VM's ability (or otherwise) to provide the information he requires. I suspect, if the data is being collected and stored, that no interface exists that would allow a CSR to readily access and relate that data to the customer during a phone enquiry. What procedures exist, most likely involve the data controller and the paying of a fee.
Yes, I did say that in my second post (apologies for having confused FOI with DPA). On the other hand if the customer is concerned enough that he considers it fraud, then a DPA request may well be in order.

snowey
26-06-2015, 08:20
... None of which addresses the OP. Let's stick to the topic now. ;)

agreed with that...