PDA

View Full Version : Phoneline not ringing

2old4this
25-03-2015, 23:25
this problem happened 2 weeks ago when our phone started giving 1 beep avery time the phone rang connected to main socket. our cordless phone worked fine. today i went brought a cheap telephone from argos connected it and there is no ringing bell also cordless phone stopped working too i tried about 3 phones all the same no ringing bell

rhyds
26-03-2015, 11:32
First of all, are you testing the phones at the master socket?

Secondly, IIRC a Virgin Media master socket (like an Openreach one) should have a built in test socket, accessible by unscrewing the bottom half of the master socket. Try your new phone in that to test.

DJSADERS
29-03-2015, 18:00
sounds like 1 of 2 things, either the telephone exchange connection (e-side) has gone and needs changing, or the master socket has gone and need replacing... give vm a call

2old4this
07-04-2015, 19:34
After they came fixed it last week now noticed its today engaged cant dial out or in

vm_tech
07-04-2015, 23:53
There's a short on the line, do as Djsaders said to confirm if internal or external, as when I was a service tech 9 times out of 10 this was an internal problem

jb66
08-04-2015, 08:35
Faulty extension sockets no doubt,

DJSADERS
08-04-2015, 16:35
one issue i had once as a escalation was a faulty telephone line, similar to this. basically the installer had connected to a BT extension (which is all fine and dandy) but didnt disconnect the main BT feed, so all was working until BT upgraded the cab, and re connecting his wire, which had power coming down both the VM and BT wire... as you can imagine VM's telephone exchange (e-side) didnt like this too much

2old4this
18-10-2015, 18:31
today i am having same issue phone is dead inside the house. but you can hear it ringing when dial the number

DJSADERS
18-10-2015, 18:44
test the socket with another phone, if its still not working call VM and they'll arrange someone to pop round and take a look - you never know might be me (as some of High Wycombe is on the Thames Valley network ;) )

2old4this
24-10-2015, 18:53
Just a update someone came out on wednesday. and the problem was the cable street box that was left opened and someone unplugged my phone line with a few others. i was told anyone can open them with a screw driver