PDA

View Full Version : ANy actually useful ways to reduce the spam call numbers?

Pofadda
24-12-2014, 23:11
What can be done to reduce these parasites calling our phone? The Telephone Preference Agency is a waste of time as their Code is voluntary and going ex-directory doesn't have any effect on all the existing phone number lists. Hasn't helped us, anyway.

Shouting at them, stringing them along and other time-wasting practices are at best only of use once and too stressful to do with any frequency.

Is it worthwhile to change one's phone number and then go ex-directory, perhaps? Would VM agree to this?

007stuart
24-12-2014, 23:26
Screen your calls with an answering machine.

Let it connect the call, they will soon get the message when all they get is a request to leave a message.

yorkshireborn
24-12-2014, 23:34
as we never use the land line and the volume is turned off and set to answer phone after 2 rings.
so in affect we don't notice

arcimedes
25-12-2014, 09:47
Your choice of actions is limited. Use a call screening service such as call Blocker or truecall, or get rid of the phone.

yorkshireborn
25-12-2014, 17:09
Your choice of actions is limited. Use a call screening service such as call Blocker or truecall, or get rid of the phone.

they cost money and for getting rid of the phone this would make my package more expensive.

as I said we use mobiles in our household so the land line is never used yes I would love to lose the land line but my package is cheaper to include the fixed line.

so my way is free.

Maggy
25-12-2014, 20:17
Answer phone.Anyone who really wants to speak to you legitimately will leave a message.The others will just ring off. It's annoying I know but it's your least expensive method.

nodrogd
26-12-2014, 11:59
they cost money and for getting rid of the phone this would make my package more expensive.

as I said we use mobiles in our household so the land line is never used yes I would love to lose the land line but my package is cheaper to include the fixed line.

so my way is free.

Mobiles are just as prone to these calls as landlines. Kept getting an automated system leaving messages on my mobile voicemail a while ago. As I am on PAYG & have to pay to listen to voicemail this was an absolute pain. Make sure ALL your numbers, landline or mobile, are registered with TPS, as some companies are now targetting mobile numbers due to the amount of people using them.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

What can be done to reduce these parasites calling our phone? The Telephone Preference Agency is a waste of time as their Code is voluntary and going ex-directory doesn't have any effect on all the existing phone number lists.

Wrong. Nothing voluntary about it. It is a legal requirement of all UK registered companies to participate.

"It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so." - from the TPS website.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/telephone-marketing/

Maggy
26-12-2014, 13:26
Wrong. Nothing voluntary about it. It is a legal requirement of all UK registered companies to participate.

"It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so." - from the TPS website.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/telephone-marketing/

Sadly most of the scammers ignore that entirely and all the overseas callers are not covered and they are the majority of such callers.Even cold callers in this country seem unable to avoid calling those of us on the TPS register at least once.:(

An answer phone really saves a lot of hassle.

Toto
26-12-2014, 20:23
Sadly most of the scammers ignore that entirely and all the overseas callers are not covered and they are the majority of such callers.Even cold callers in this country seem unable to avoid calling those of us on the TPS register at least once.:(

An answer phone really saves a lot of hassle.

Partially agree with Maggy on this.

Those UK companies who do call me are starting to use an excuse that they are using data that has been supplied to them "pre-screaned" for TPS listed telephone numbers, and they are therefore covered and believe they have no further obligation, which of course is wrong.

Whilst complying with TPS is a regulatory requirement, it's a toothless law, akin to the ASA in my opinion, although it is the ICO's responsibility to deal with persistent offenders.

Having said that, if subscribers to TPS don't make complaints to them about such calls, then action will not be enforced. So, screening calls using an answer machine is fine - but if this law is to work, we all have to do our bit to deal with these UK based companies flouting the TPS register.

It's a real thorn in my side, especially when such calls interrupt my normal day to day life.

I really don't think that apathy and convenience is the way to deal with this issue.

fatmat8
29-12-2014, 17:50
we get these calls from "cold caller" so we check the phone screen and let it ring .

sollp
29-12-2014, 19:00
BT 8500 Phones, has worked a treat since i bought them 2 months ago. None of these calls at all

Maggy
29-12-2014, 23:35
Partially agree with Maggy on this.

Those UK companies who do call me are starting to use an excuse that they are using data that has been supplied to them "pre-screaned" for TPS listed telephone numbers, and they are therefore covered and believe they have no further obligation, which of course is wrong.

Whilst complying with TPS is a regulatory requirement, it's a toothless law, akin to the ASA in my opinion, although it is the ICO's responsibility to deal with persistent offenders.

Having said that, if subscribers to TPS don't make complaints to them about such calls, then action will not be enforced. So, screening calls using an answer machine is fine - but if this law is to work, we all have to do our bit to deal with these UK based companies flouting the TPS register.

It's a real thorn in my side, especially when such calls interrupt my normal day to day life.

I really don't think that apathy and convenience is the way to deal with this issue.

The hard part is getting an honest answer as to whom has actually called you.

There is a column in the current Christmas issue of Private Eye about spam callers that is worth a read.

AndyCambs
30-12-2014, 14:57
I bought one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Capacity-Nuisance-Call-Blocker/dp/B004BTVQ5E/ref=sr_1_1/279-1284991-9946612?ie=UTF8&qid=1419951302&sr=8-1&keywords=call+blocker) from Maplin
It's £40 - and saved me the £3 per month anonymous call bar fee.
Block international, Skype and spoof numbers, and also area codes too if you want.
For the odd call that gets through, hit the button and the next time they call,, they get two ringtones and then nothing - you might just hear one click on the phone if you're nearby.
Its worth its weight in gold

Stuart
30-12-2014, 15:51
BT 8500 Phones, has worked a treat since i bought them 2 months ago. None of these calls at all

I have a BT DECT phone with their Do Not Disturb feature. It blocks any number not marked as a "VIP" in your phone book, and can optionally block anonymous callers or international calls.