PDA

View Full Version : National peak time charges

David H
23-04-2014, 00:31
A few years ago I managed to find a company Virgin didn't block to make my peak and international calls, while it cost about 10P or so a minute to call locally otherwise before what is now 7pm.

I was asked to call a friend to test his new phone and the answer machine went off and cost me a minute, and the bill showed 23p plus VAT, ie 28p per minute for a standard daytime UK call. As the other company charge (and make a profit) 1p a minute (0.5P from BT as they don't take so much of a cut as Virgin), what's the logic in PR and customer service, not to mention customer loss in charging as much to call a mobile as a landline? I don't imagine this was an error as they charged well over the odds when I changed providers, but a 100% rise in a few years seems to even exceed Virgin's worst excesses. Neither of the two alternatives of people dropping out or being ripped off are good business practice, if there were no piggyback companies allowed I'd simply have reverted back to BT as probably everyone else, so they'd just end up shedding customers by the million.

BenMcr
23-04-2014, 10:13
Remember for chargeable calls there is a 15.94p connection fee as a one off fee plus the per minute rate as detailed at www.virginmedia.com/callcosts

progers
23-04-2014, 10:15
Assuming you called from a landline, the charge is 10.6p per minute plus a connection charge of 15.94p not including VAT. These charges are published on line. For £4.60 you can have free weekend and evening calls and for £8, Talk Unlimited which is what I have.

BT charge 15p and 8.95p, slightly dearer but it's not easy not to have a calling plan with BT.

So, it's your choice not to have a calling plan, the prices are readily available on line.

David H
23-04-2014, 17:58
Thanks for that, it was the 15p connection charge that I didn't know about. The minute charges are similar to before. What a con!

BexTech
09-05-2014, 11:06
Landline is a ripoff. Crazy when I can use a PAYG Mobile and calls are much cheaper!

It's worse than a joke! :(

bonzoe
10-05-2014, 18:40
Landline is a ripoff. Crazy when I can use a PAYG Mobile and calls are much cheaper!

It's worse than a joke! :(

Agreed, it's greed by landline providers, expensive calls plus line rental..........even Virgin mobile will provide unlimited calls plus texts and data for less than line rental for landline.

nodrogd
11-05-2014, 18:38
And those on the legacy Virgin "Simply 8p" PAYG tariff now also pay less per minute than by using a Virgin landline, with no line or monthly rental & no connection charge.

johnathome
13-05-2014, 02:35
That's why i use 18185 or with VM 08081703703, now if only i could get my daughter to remember to dial the blooming access number i wouldn't have a £20 phone bill every bleeding month...

BexTech
13-05-2014, 16:34
That's why i use 18185 or with VM 08081703703, now if only i could get my daughter to remember to dial the blooming access number i wouldn't have a £20 phone bill every bleeding month...

We do too, started off all those years back with 18866, then as prices changed and Finarea brought out 1899, moved to that and then to 18185.

I also have a GiffGaff SIM and also use 18185 for some calls, which are not included in my mobile contract. (Have a main phone and Quad SIM phone for get best call charges etc).

johnathome
14-05-2014, 01:45
I also have a GiffGaff SIM and also use 18185 for some calls, which are not included in my mobile contract. (Have a main phone and Quad SIM phone for get best call charges etc).

Same as, i used to use my mobile to call my mate in Thailand on his mobile and pay 1.5p a minute :)