PDA

View Full Version : VM TV and Broadband without a land line

Ken W
03-12-2013, 09:51
I friend who has TV BB and Landline from Virgin and now he wants to cancel his land line but he insists that he need a land line to have TV as he thinks that TV come down his land line.

I said he dose not need a land line to have TV and BB.

Am I correct?

RobboEdin
03-12-2013, 10:24
The only situation where it is not possible to cancel the landline is if the TV is the 'free' TV M.

All other TV packages are available standalone, starting from TV M+ at £19 per month.

Of course, the landline can only be cancelled if your friend is outwith any minimum contract period.

Sorry, just seen there's BB as well but the same applies, although the cost saving through cancelling the landline may be minimal.

nodrogd
03-12-2013, 13:18
In fact there may not be a cost saving at all. The landline attracts a substantial discount on most BB packages. It depends on the package they currently have. The landline is a handy thing if only to phone Virgin for free when you have a fault.

Mr Banana
03-12-2013, 14:33
I friend who has TV BB and Landline from Virgin and now he wants to cancel his land line but he insists that he need a land line to have TV as he thinks that TV come down his land line.

I said he dose not need a land line to have TV and BB.

Am I correct?

Ken if your question is regarding the technical side of things, yes you are correct, no phone line is needed to deliver TV and Broadband.

Mick Fisher
03-12-2013, 19:22
Actually Virgin charge for a phoneline whether you take one or not. They used to be open about it and tell you it was a condition if you wanted to take other services.

Of course nowadays they dress it up as a discount if you take the phone line they have been overcharging you for all along.

Proper "Naked BB" should be available for all in this day of the mobile.

Ken W
03-12-2013, 22:17
Actually Virgin charge for a phoneline whether you take one or not. They used to be open about it and tell you it was a condition if you wanted to take other services.

Of course nowadays they dress it up as a discount if you take the phone line they have been overcharging you for all along.

Proper "Naked BB" should be available for all in this day of the mobile.

I think BT is similar.

qasdfdsaq
03-12-2013, 23:42
No, completely the opposite with BT. You get no discount with the phone line and it is a technical requirement since BT BB does come down the phone line.

Top Brick
28-12-2013, 13:55
I recently cancelled Virgin TV and stated that I also wanted to cancel the landline.

my intention was to keep just the Broadband. On going through the details I was told the BB would cost £25 a month (which I knew) but the landline could remain at no extra charge. I confirmed this several times. Obviously I would be charged for any calls made but the landline is effectively at no extra cost to the standalone BB.

Mick Fisher
28-12-2013, 17:11
I recently cancelled Virgin TV and stated that I also wanted to cancel the landline.

my intention was to keep just the Broadband. On going through the details I was told the BB would cost £25 a month (which I knew) but the landline could remain at no extra charge. I confirmed this several times. Obviously I would be charged for any calls made but the landline is effectively at no extra cost to the standalone BB.

Nice :)

moiraf100
28-01-2014, 18:42
Theres an ad in the Evening Standard tonight saying you can have superfast BB with or without a phone line. No prices and I can barely read the small print.
It does say 'no phone line means no line rental charge'
Can't see anything on the site though. Still says phone £15.99
........??

Kabaal
28-01-2014, 18:57
Theres an ad in the Evening Standard tonight saying you can have superfast BB with or without a phone line. No prices and I can barely read the small print.
It does say 'no phone line means no line rental charge'
Can't see anything on the site though. Still says phone £15.99
........??

Click the tab to swap between with and without prices.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2014/01/1.png

Excluding promotions 120mb for example is £28 + £15.99 line rental or £37.50 without a phone line.

moiraf100
28-01-2014, 19:09
Oh yeah - thanks :-)