PDA

View Full Version : Move master socket

knack
27-11-2012, 00:15
My master socket is currently in the hall and trails rather untidily around some door frames to get there. My idea is to move it to the same room that it enters the house however upon unscrewing the box I was a bit bamboozled by the different cables. There is three white ones - one will be the main line but I'm not sure about the other two. I think they might be extensions to other phone points in the house (these are now not required). There is a black cable in the box too which has been cut. I assume that this is the original BT line.

Is it possible to move the master socket? Is there more that one cable required to make it work ie. on top of than the main cable (the one that trails around the doors) or is this all that's needed.

Sorry this isn't a particularly eloquent question but any help is appreciated. I will get a picture of the socket soon.

---------- Post added 27-11-2012 at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was 26-11-2012 at 23:40 ----------

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/11/9.jpg

Wicked_and_Crazy
27-11-2012, 00:25
Looks like the master and two extensions. Disconnect the extensions and see what happens. Make a note of the colours going to each connector first just in case u have to put it back

danielf
27-11-2012, 00:34
And do some dusting while you're at it ;)

knack
27-11-2012, 02:35
Looks like the master and two extensions. Disconnect the extensions and see what happens. Make a note of the colours going to each connector first just in case u have to put it back

Thanks! Upon closer inspection I managed to differentiate between the different cables and you were right. It's now successfully moved and the old wire ripped off the wall ready for decoration. It won't be missed after 12 years.

And do some dusting while you're at it ;)

Haha done. There's a sideboard there so that's why it's so dusty.