PDA

View Full Version : Is the VM box the same as the BT box?

The Yank
14-11-2012, 21:15
Is the VM box that you plug the phone into on the skirting board the same as the one BT uses?

I'm thinking specifically about the lower front panel that the plug goes into. Mine needs replacing.

this is really a question for an engineer. PM me if you prefer.

MovedGoalPosts
14-11-2012, 23:08
The physical phone socket you plug your home phone into, whether that is the master point, or an extension, is identical to all UK phone systems (unless you have a really ancient old post office wired phone, i.e no plug in connection).

The master point for VM or indeed any cable company, will be a different point to that used by BT. Consumers shouldn't interfere with the wiring onto the back of those points. However there is usually a consumer removable faceplate on those points that would enable consumers to connect their own extension wiring. On some BT systems the master point can include an ADSL filter and phone point splitter, rather than the separate filters often supplied by the various ADSL broadband suppliers.

The Yank
15-11-2012, 10:28
The physical phone socket you plug your home phone into, whether that is the master point, or an extension, is identical to all UK phone systems (unless you have a really ancient old post office wired phone, i.e no plug in connection).

The master point for VM or indeed any cable company, will be a different point to that used by BT. Consumers shouldn't interfere with the wiring onto the back of those points. However there is usually a consumer removable faceplate on those points that would enable consumers to connect their own extension wiring. On some BT systems the master point can include an ADSL filter and phone point splitter, rather than the separate filters often supplied by the various ADSL broadband suppliers.
Thanks Rob,

I THINK you are saying that bottom removable section is the same for both VM + BT (I'm not changing any wires - just that plate). If not where can I get one without incurring an expensive call out charge?

jempalmer
15-11-2012, 11:43
You could have a look here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Telephones_and_Accessories_Index/NTE5/index.html#NTE5