PDA

View Full Version : Virgin installation - have i made big mistake

JOHNKEMP68
30-10-2012, 21:49
Formally with SKY TV, BT PHONE and O2 BROADBAND.
After many years thought we would cancel all and give Virgin a try.
Went into Virgin Media shop and Manager signed us up as VIP package with 4 boxes for tv, broadband and phone.
Agreed to have pre-installation visit which had to chase and once carried out was told that a double-team would install and would get an experienced team due to size of job and where I wanted cables to run.
The report didnt get done so come install day on Saturday we get a young lad knock on our door with no report and no cable to install from road section to front of my house. This was great as we had arranged for block pavers to be raised and put back down Monday.
After many phone calls a man turns up with cable for my drive which I have to lay myself! So much for VIP service, cable now lays rolled up at end of my drive!
Phoned customer services but department not open they suggested I need to spek to, shop promised I would get a call this morning from high up person but as expected no call.

Sorry for long post, do I cancel and go back to Sky but then I am left with cable on my drive, surely this is not the normal service you get!

Please help....................:mad:

thenry
30-10-2012, 22:45
how much do your singles amount to compared to VM and also if you was to go with Sky for everything? With regards to the last one, Sky everything can you get Sky fibre broadband or is your area only enabled for ADSL if you was to get in non VM broadband.

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2012, 10:42
That sounds like the right hand hasn't co-ordinated with the left hand. Unfortunately, despite VM being a communications company, we frequently see indications that they don't speak to each other.

Paved drives are however always a problem. But if you arranged for the blocks to be lifted and then reinstated, presumably to an agreed alignment, VM's installers should have then laid the cable in a green hose (duct) slightly trenched in your exposed line. If the cable is just loose, and not in a duct, over time it risks getting cut into if anything sharp is against it in the ground.

If you are not getting any sensible communication from the shop, or other VM departments you have called, then I suggest you raise the issue with the CEO's office: neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk .

JOHNKEMP68
31-10-2012, 22:32
how much do your singles amount to compared to VM and also if you was to go with Sky for everything? With regards to the last one, Sky everything can you get Sky fibre broadband or is your area only enabled for ADSL if you was to get in non VM broadband.

Vm is slightly cheaper but we will be getting 2 extra boxes.
When i phoned sky to cancel they offered a cheaper deal for all services but my reason for changing was the problems i always get in bad weather.

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

That sounds like the right hand hasn't co-ordinated with the left hand. Unfortunately, despite VM being a communications company, we frequently see indications that they don't speak to each other.

Paved drives are however always a problem. But if you arranged for the blocks to be lifted and then reinstated, presumably to an agreed alignment, VM's installers should have then laid the cable in a green hose (duct) slightly trenched in your exposed line. If the cable is just loose, and not in a duct, over time it risks getting cut into if anything sharp is against it in the ground.

If you are not getting any sensible communication from the shop, or other VM departments you have called, then I suggest you raise the issue with the CEO's office: neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk .

I was given cable only which i used a builders trail to sink it in the sand under where the pavers sit.
Will try them tomorrow as whatever i decide i have to get the 2 ends sorted.
I will email after that, thanks for your advice

thenry
31-10-2012, 22:37
with tv? have you had a Sky tech come out? an ajustment and even LNB change could make things a little better but yes the weathers bad now and its been playing up.

contact the CEO now mate. fire off an email using the email address posted by Rob above to contact the CEO at VM.

RB2004
01-11-2012, 20:24
Problems with bad weather,

Usually this was because the customer had an old dish, sky made their mk4 dishes slightly bigger to minimise this problem... That tied with a realignment and the thicker wf100 cable would of pretty much fixed all problems.

I upgraded somebody's dish a few months back to a mk4, because they was having a problem with heavy rain and also the lnb was bad on 1 port.. I also changed the thin wf65 cable for thicker wf100.. Don't particularly like the thinner stuff sky use its core is quite thin and not robust at all.. Snaps easily... Also swapped the twist on connectors for same connectors vm use as I've got bags of them... Use them for VM, terrestrial, and sky now.

Then When I aligned the dish after
With my sat finder it maxed it out lol.

So mk4 dish and good quality cabling make a massive difference.

JOHNKEMP68
01-11-2012, 22:11
Thanks all, emailed as suggested and also phoned customer services, last chance fot VM and then back to sky!

thenry
01-11-2012, 22:18
id stick with Sky and ask them to offer you better. tech visit to sort the dish, lnb, cables. fibre broadband, telephone. extra boxes for bringing everything to them. Sky have a retentions department. get intouch and hear what their willing to offer

Mick Fisher
02-11-2012, 14:59
I got a local installer to move my dish to the roof on my 2 story terrace.

The signal indicator on the box shows the best quality/strength I have ever had and I have experienced no weather induced problems since.