PDA

View Full Version : Maximum tivo cable length?

nicebloke
24-09-2012, 16:59
I have ordered a tivo box form virgin media to use in my summerhouse. My question is can the main installation cable go a far as 45 metres.

I already have sky hd in the house so the tivo box is only to be used for the one tv in the summerhouse. I did phone vigin media technical support, but I may have asked the man at the other end of the phone how to build a space shuttle?

paulsouth
24-09-2012, 17:07
I have ordered a tivo box form virgin media to use in my summerhouse. My question is can the main installation cable go a far as 45 metres.

I already have sky hd in the house so the tivo box is only to be used for the one tv in the summerhouse. I did phone vigin media technical support, but I may have asked the man at the other end of the phone how to build a space shuttle?

nutter..lol

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

nutter..lol

easy answer to that..
get them to install it to your house..
once they gone but a 50 meter satellite tv coax cable and wire it your self to the summer house.. go to maplin shop or on line..
try it.. and wen u dont want it in the summer house,put it back in the room where it was.. sorted..

nicebloke
24-09-2012, 18:17
paulsouth, Thanks for the fast reply. I can get 50 metres of satellite cable from ebay for just over a tenner with free delivery (no doubt much cheaper than maplins).

Do you know if I am likely to notice any loss of quality running it over such a long length?

Peter_
24-09-2012, 18:24
nutter..lol

Due to the length of cable involved the signal may well degrade and possibly cause issues with the picture to say the very least if not inputting noise onto the network, not an advisable thing to do plus if the box gets stolen you will be liable for £250 as it will not be covered by insurance.

It is not the agents job to advise you how to install an overly long cable and nor should they advise you about any such proposition, they could be disciplined for offering advice on such a setup.

jb66
24-09-2012, 18:47
It's possible but house 50m away from the pit would be using rg11

Peter_
24-09-2012, 19:22
It's possible but house 50m away from the pit would be using rg11
It will not have any attenuators so probably not a good idea due to the distance and not really recommended especially as it may cause noise.

paulsouth
24-09-2012, 19:37
Due to the length of cable involved the signal may well degrade and possibly cause issues with the picture to say the very least if not inputting noise onto the network, not an advisable thing to do plus if the box gets stolen you will be liable for £250 as it will not be covered by insurance.

It is not the agents job to advise you how to install an overly long cable and nor should they advise you about any such proposition, they could be disciplined for offering advice on such a setup.

u are right it does weaken a little bit,but as a hole its fine..
my parents do that in their summer house.
they got a basic virgin box in the summer house..
its only for the free to air channels..
u only get bbc channels and itv1 chan 4 and channel 5 and citv..
it does work..

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

u are right it does weaken a little bit,but as a hole its fine..
my parents do that in their summer house.
they got a basic virgin box in the summer house..
its only for the free to air channels..
u only get bbc channels and itv1 chan 4 and channel 5 and citv..
it does work..

it was a standard sd box scientific atlantic box..
it works fine..

Peter_
24-09-2012, 19:38
It is not a standard vbox it is a TIVO which is a rather different animal.

jb66
24-09-2012, 19:41
It will not have any attenuators so probably not a good idea due to the distance and not really recommended especially as it may cause noise.

The length of a cable won't cause noise, a poor fitted connector would

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

In what way?

paulsouth
24-09-2012, 19:55

true.. it should still works.. its a cable box end of the day..
just a recordable one..
tivo.. it does have siginal problems unlike the standard boxes..
yeh u are right..

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

true.. it should still works.. its a cable box end of the day..
just a recordable one..
tivo.. it does have siginal problems unlike the standard boxes..
yeh u are right..

saying that.. i had siginal problems with my tivo box..
but with the standard boxes the siginal is much better i noticed..
i find it the only good box virgin media did was the sisco hd box..
thats an hd box but not the recordable box..
that worked perfect,until i took on the samsung v+hd box on.that was rubbish.
then i had the tivo 500gb box,that was even worse..
the sisco hd box was the best one..

Peter_
25-09-2012, 06:36

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

In what way?
More sensitive but if for some strange reason you feel a 50 metre cable run down a garden to a wooden building is fine then I wonder what the bosses would make of it as you set up the levels once the cabling and box is in place and this is northing short of a bodge job with no knowledge of the fittings.

So it should not be done and the box will not be covered by insurance either.

jb66
25-09-2012, 08:02
More sensitive but if for some strange reason you feel a 50 metre cable run down a garden to a wooden building is fine then I wonder what the bosses would make of it as you set up the levels once the cabling and box is in place and this is northing short of a bodge job with no knowledge of the fittings.

So it should not be done and the box will not be covered by insurance either.

my bosses wont care as long as it works,

Stuart
25-09-2012, 13:19
easy answer to that..
get them to install it to your house..

Even easier answer. Get them to install it where it is supposed to go, in the summerhouse. That way, the engineer should take into account any variables, should use the correct type of cable, and should be able to sort out any problems it might cause.

jb66
25-09-2012, 13:50
Even easier answer. Get them to install it where it is supposed to go, in the summerhouse. That way, the engineer should take into account any variables, should use the correct type of cable, and should be able to sort out any problems it might cause.

There is no way a 50m dig down a garden is a standard install, I'd be walking away from that.

qasdfdsaq
25-09-2012, 17:07

Indeed, the cable is already thousands of metres long, 50m more will not make the slightest difference unless it's botched.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

There is no way a 50m dig down a garden is a standard install, I'd be walking away from that.
What if you were offered exclusive use of said garden?

judgey
25-09-2012, 20:24
Just Bosh it in like many installers would do :P

bomber_g
28-09-2012, 15:33
Indeed, the cable is already thousands of metres long, 50m more will not make the slightest difference unless it's botched.[COLOR="Silver"]

I'd just like to clarify that the RF / COAX part of an install is not thousands of metres long - probably a few hundred metres at most

the cabinets have different tap ports with varying signal strengths to connect the different parts of a street depending on distance from the cab - that should give you an idea how much 50 metres of possibly poorly shielded cable would have on SNR

that being said - I doubt the engineer would install it as standard, if you want to do it yourself, by all means do - just be aware of the risks and that if it doesn't work, you can't really complain to VM.

paulsouth
28-09-2012, 15:48
I'd just like to clarify that the RF / COAX part of an install is not thousands of metres long - probably a few hundred metres at most

the cabinets have different tap ports with varying signal strengths to connect the different parts of a street depending on distance from the cab - that should give you an idea how much 50 metres of possibly poorly shielded cable would have on SNR

that being said - I doubt the engineer would install it as standard, if you want to do it yourself, by all means do - just be aware of the risks and that if it doesn't work, you can't really complain to VM.

makes no difference-virgin media do a rubbish job any way..lol

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

makes no difference-virgin media do a rubbish job any way..lol

what virgin media dont know wont hurt them..lol
like i said,get virgin media to install it to your house,
once they have gone,
rewire it to out side to the garden to the summer house..
wen u not using it in the summer house keep it in the house it self..
so it wont get nicked..easy..

Sirius
28-09-2012, 16:34

You beat me to it :)

qasdfdsaq
01-10-2012, 21:39
The RF/Coax part of "an install" is usually the few metres along your drive to the tee in the pavement.

From there it's hundreds to thousands of metres through a series of multiple cabinets of coax, through an optical media converter and then thousands of metres to the nearest CMTS.

Sirius
01-10-2012, 21:56
The RF/Coax part of "an install" is usually the few metres along your drive to the tee in the pavement.

From there it's hundreds to thousands of metres through a series of multiple cabinets of coax, through an optical media converter and then thousands of metres of fibre to the nearest CMTS.BTW let me Fix you post :)

The coax from my house is a total of 60 meters of RG6 and then 1760 meters of nodal 860 coax from the BN in my street via 3 other Bn's with trunk amps to DN1 and the fibre launch amp, so that means everything else after is fibre back to the exchange, that exchange is 6.9 km from my house.

qasdfdsaq
02-10-2012, 00:25
It's not like an optical media converter connects coax to anything other than fibre... :)

But point proven - 1820m of coax, >6900m fibre, total of ~9000m of HFC cabling, 50m will not make the slightest difference unless it's botched.