PDA

View Full Version : weird phonecall any ideas???

charlotte2306
14-09-2012, 23:00
Can anyone explain what has happened this evening? I called a friend earlier today around 5pm ish for a chat and we spoke for about 15min. At 10.10pm my landline rings and I answer, no one there so I put phone down and ring 1471, it was my friends number (the one I called earlier) so I ring her straight back as i'm worried, no one ever rings me much after 9pm. But she hasn't a clue what i'm talking about, all her kids are asleep and her and her hubby are watching tv no one has used thier land line since the afternoon. So we are both puzzled, I then text her and tell her to press the redial button on her phone but it doesn't come up with my number??? She says the last time she used the phone was when she got home from doing the school run and she had rang 1471 to see if she'd missed any calls and that was the number showing when she checked tonight. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of things happening??? I'm a bit spooked, and hoping it won't happen again through the night!!!

Kymmy
15-09-2012, 08:37
Hi and welcome to the forum,

There was one post in the last few months regarding a call from a another phone (according to the caller ID) that never came from that phone.. You may have to search to find it..

I wonder if the asian fraudsters have a way of spoofing the last number recieved? Or it's going to be a simple network fault.. But if it's only happened a couple of times recently and not before is it really a big issue?

22-09-2012, 10:48
Hmm, as much as I tend to go for the paranoid explanation, I could imagine this could be happening if it's just a simple network fault.

As much as fraudsters are surprisingly common, I can't really imagine them bothering with this, or even bothering to fake the number received, especially as it came up with your friend's number.

My guess is there was just a network fault or some maintenance etc.

charlotte2306
01-10-2012, 18:17
Well since posting this it's happening on a regular basis always from the same number (my friends landline) and she is not ringing me!!!! She has no reason to lie! We are both completely stumped as to why this is happening. No in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal but it's just really annoying and it's bugging us! My friend is now looking at her bills but her itemized bill is a month behind so not showing anything yet as this started on 14th September. I'll re-post if I ever get to the bottom of this!