PDA

View Full Version : Virgin introduces a Line Rental Saver option

nodrogd
29-08-2012, 11:41
Virgin has introduced a Line Rental Saver option for £120 a year. This will save you £46.80 on yearly line rental costs.

The deal is open to new & existing cable telephone customers. It's not clear if you can make these savings on L or XL talk plans.

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/phone-fibre-optic/about-virgin-media-fibre-optic/line-rental-saver.html

iateallthepies
29-08-2012, 11:49
Quite a saving

joglynne
29-08-2012, 12:04
Well my money 'aint making any interest worth talking about stuck in the bank so making a saving of nearly £50 a year is an attractive proposition. Thanks for the link norogd. :tu:

RobboEdin
29-08-2012, 12:37
It does tie you in for a year as there is no refund (if you need to move to a non-Virgin Media area).

bonzoe
29-08-2012, 20:42
It's not clear if you can make these savings on L or XL talk plans.

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/phone-fibre-optic/about-virgin-media-fibre-optic/line-rental-saver.html

Terms state "Call charges apply in accordance with your tariff", so would appear that existing talk plans still valid.

Ken W
29-08-2012, 21:27
Virgin has introduced a Line Rental Saver option for £120 a year. This will save you £46.80 on yearly line rental costs.

The deal is open to new & existing cable telephone customers. It's not clear if you can make these savings on L or XL talk plans.

Do I still keep my tickles Talk International 2 Talk Mobile 2 Talk 08 2 Talk Weekends if I sign up for Line rental saver?

carlwaring
29-08-2012, 22:00
Yes. All this is is pre-paying for 12-months Line Rental.

nodrogd
30-08-2012, 11:11
Terms state "Call charges apply in accordance with your tariff", so would appear that existing talk plans still valid.

Seems so, but if anyone finds out what the stated exclusions are it would be handy if they could add to this thread:

"....Not available with other line rental offers, The Biz, The Biz Plus or Home Phone talk plan offers..." extracted from the T & C's

Superblade7
03-09-2012, 18:02
Rang up to enquire about this and I'm not eligible because I have a retentions deal. The guy suggested it was only available if you are on a standard pricing so may help those who are or have a collection.

carlwaring
03-09-2012, 18:10
Rang up to enquire about this and I'm not eligible because I have a retentions deal.
Rubbish. Aren't we all on "retentions" deals? I've had my speed doubled recently; ahead of time. For which I had to start a new contract. So that's a 'retention' deal, isn't it? (Well I had to call 'retentions' to get it.) So I'm eligible for this offer? There'll be trouble if I'm not :mad::(

Superblade7
03-09-2012, 18:54
Rubbish. Aren't we all on "retentions" deals? I've had my speed doubled recently; ahead of time. For which I had to start a new contract. So that's a 'retention' deal, isn't it? (Well I had to call 'retentions' to get it.) So I'm eligible for this offer? There'll be trouble if I'm not :mad::(

Carl, we are not all on retentions deals.

If you have an item on your bill that states something like 'loyalty discount' and you get £X per month discount then you are on a retentions / loyalty package.

If you just have your bundle charges plus line rental / premiums on your bill then you will be on standard pricing. This should then make you eligible for the line rental saver.

A new 12 month contract doesn't necessarily mean you are on a retentions deal. If you change / upgrade your services, this can sometimes lead to you having to agree a new contract.

Hope this helps.

Ken W
03-09-2012, 19:10
I am on a Bundle phone, TV, TIVO, bb so I assume that I eligible for the Line Rental saver.

Is there a time limit to apply for it by?

carlwaring
03-09-2012, 19:18
Carl, we are not all on retentions deals.
Well you should be ;) Fair enough though :)

If you have an item on your bill that states something like 'loyalty discount' and you get £X per month discount then you are on a retentions / loyalty package.
Which I do. There'll still be trouble if I can't get this thing :(

Superblade7
03-09-2012, 19:48
Ken - doesn't say there is a time limit.

Carl - give them a call and let me know how you get on, be interesting to see what they tell you as it wouldn't surprise me if they tell you different!

carlwaring
03-09-2012, 20:17
Will do :)

SilverLady
04-09-2012, 16:32
Thank goodness for the info you get on this site, rather than having to depend on Virgin customer service.

I phoned first thing this morning to avoid getting an overseas call centre and was pleased to connect to UK centre. However the boy I spoke to told me it was possible to make advance payments to my account any time I wanted to. When I explained that I wanted to change to the one year in advance line rental, he said there was on such thing.

I argued the point and was put on hold while he checked and then came back to say yes I could do this. I asked if this affected my £5 loyalty discount and was told it didn't, so hope this info is correct!!

I was also surprised to be asked to make the £120 payment immediately by card, I had thought it would be taken from my next DD, but was told this was how it was done.

BenMcr
04-09-2012, 16:39
I was also surprised to be asked to make the £120 payment immediately by card, I had thought it would be taken from my next DD, but was told this was how it was done.Well the terms on the webpage do say:

Line Rental Saver: £120 for 12 months' Line Rental must be paid in advance by debit/credit card.

carlwaring
04-09-2012, 16:48
I was also surprised to be asked to make the £120 payment immediately by card, I had thought it would be taken from my next DD, but was told this was how it was done.
I was hoping that too, but that is also what I was told.

Superblade7
04-09-2012, 17:20
Well the terms on the webpage do say:

Ben,

Could you confirm if I was told correctly by the CS guy I spoke to the other day in that I can't have line rental saver due to me being on a retentions / loyalty deal? He didn't sound convincing and had to check with his supervisor so just want to know for definite.

Cheers Superblade7

SilverLady
04-09-2012, 17:55
Sorry BenMcr. I didn't notice that part in the terms, just assumed it would be the same as when I had to pay for the superhub last year.

BenMcr
04-09-2012, 18:04
Ben,

Could you confirm if I was told correctly by the CS guy I spoke to the other day in that I can't have line rental saver due to me being on a retentions / loyalty deal? He didn't sound convincing and had to check with his supervisor so just want to know for definite.

Cheers Superblade7If you are on one of the newer retention deals that have a separate 2 year extra reduction tied to the phone, then it excludes the line rental option

Superblade7
04-09-2012, 19:42
If you are on one of the newer retention deals that have a separate 2 year extra reduction tied to the phone, then it excludes the line rental option

Thanks Ben. I agreed my latest deal in May and was told the price was valid for two years (even though it's already gone up due to Sky Sports!) so it must be one of the newer deals you mention.

johnholmes
05-09-2012, 02:15
BenMcr please could you confirm does taking up the line rental saver start another 12 month contract? Or do you just lose the non-refundable £120 if you leave within 12 months?

There is nothing in the terms that say a new 12 month contract, so I would be surprised if it is. However, with BT signing up to Line Rental Saver definitely is a new 12 month contract, so it would be surprisingly generous of Virgin to have not followed.

Thanks

carlwaring
05-09-2012, 09:28
BenMcr please could you confirm does taking up the line rental saver start another 12 month contract?
I wouldn't have thought so.

welwynrose
05-09-2012, 10:20
I've just been told by CS that as I'm on the top package I DO NOT qualify for this offer :(

RobboEdin
05-09-2012, 10:48
..with BT signing up to Line Rental Saver definitely is a new 12 month contract, ...

Not as far as I understand. Line Rental Saver is an alternative to the Standard Line Rental and, as such, has no requirement to start a new contract.

Can you please advise the source of your information.

BenMcr
05-09-2012, 10:55
BenMcr please could you confirm does taking up the line rental saver start another 12 month contract? Or do you just lose the non-refundable £120 if you leave within 12 months?You lose your advance payment

I've just been told by CS that as I'm on the top package I DO NOT qualify for this offer :(Only reason you wouldn't qualify if you had another offer on the phone line e.g a three/six month reduction. Having VIP bundle/Collection itself shouldn't be an issue

johnholmes
05-09-2012, 20:14
Not as far as I understand. Line Rental Saver is an alternative to the Standard Line Rental and, as such, has no requirement to start a new contract.

Can you please advise the source of your information.

I checked it out further and you are correct.

I was wrong! :shocked:

RobboEdin
06-09-2012, 07:27
I checked it out further and you are correct.

I was wrong! :shocked:

Thank you for confirming. Many would have just allowed the forum to have an ambiguous answer.

qwakuk
10-09-2012, 17:06
I've just been told by CS that as I'm on the top package I DO NOT qualify for this offer :(

That is wrong, I am on the top Collection deal and paid upfront on Saturday. Took about 15 minutes on the phone all told but it was done.

Leebee
10-09-2012, 18:12
I'm on mates rates and allso qualified for this.

welwynrose
11-09-2012, 14:46
That is wrong, I am on the top Collection deal and paid upfront on Saturday. Took about 15 minutes on the phone all told but it was done.

I've spoken to CS twice - got in contact with the "Media Team" and just received an email informing me that

"the Phone line rental saver offer is not available to the VIP customers. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you as the information is not available on the website."

qwakuk
13-09-2012, 14:16
Just checked online, I am on VIP collection (the old one used to £85pm when it started). Shows a £120 one off payment and then £15.29 partial refund, presumably full and part month line rental.

Only thing i would say is that on the monthly bills the phone rental is in a separate section and itemised separately, maybe yours is not for some reason:erm:

nashville
13-09-2012, 16:21
This is interestingWill see how you all get on.

Lemonzest
14-09-2012, 15:29
Nice so the rich can save, and the poor, who can't front the 120 keep paying the same.

Ken W
25-11-2012, 11:05
The line rental advance option ends November 29th.

RobboEdin
25-11-2012, 14:43
The line rental advance option ends November 29th.

With such a bold statement, you need some proof as I doubt this to be the case.

The current offers on various Collections are due to end on the date you state but I see no evidence that this is the case for Line Rental Saver.

Ken W
25-11-2012, 15:11
With such a bold statement, you need some proof as I doubt this to be the case.

The current offers on various Collections are due to end on the date you state but I see no evidence that this is the case for Line Rental Saver.

Here is the url.

RB2004
25-11-2012, 15:40
Considering that countdown also appears on the tv and broadband package pages I think it's safe to assume that ticker is aimed at new customers who don't currently have VM services.

They have until the 29th November to sign up to get 6 months half price on their services.

It's done to get people to sign up before Christmas.

As most people who was thinking of signing up, 6 months half price gives them a good reason to do II now before the offer ends

Like panic buying

RobboEdin
25-11-2012, 15:41
Here is the url.

In my opinion, this page (which I did read earlier) does not say that Line Rental Saver ends on 29 November.

It does refer to half price offers ending then. Line Rental Saver is not a half price offer.

That page also says:

"But don’t forget, normal rental costs apply after the 12 months – unless of course you pay upfront next year and carry on saving again."

It would hardly say 'same again next year' if Line Rental Saver was finishing.

Ken W
25-11-2012, 16:44
In my opinion, this page (which I did read earlier) does not say that Line Rental Saver ends on 29 November.

It does refer to half price offers ending then. Line Rental Saver is not a half price offer.

That page also says:

"But don’t forget, normal rental costs apply after the 12 months – unless of course you pay upfront next year and carry on saving again."

It would hardly say 'same again next year' if Line Rental Saver was finishing.

Opp's, I had better make an appointment at Specsavers.:Yikes:

Qtx
25-11-2012, 23:28
The legal stuff

Installation: Installation charges apply (starting from £49.95 for standard install).
Payment: Offers require you to pay by Direct Debit and use eBilling.
Line Rental Saver: £120 for 12 months' Line Rental must be paid in advance by debit/credit card. Available to new and existing customers with a Virgin Media cable phone line.

So only Cable customers going by that page. I wouldn't commit myself to a new 12 month contract with VM for £46 saving a year. Their shoddy service has scared me away from that :P