PDA

View Full Version : awkward install in need of simplification!

likwidboy
28-08-2012, 23:40
In my infinite wisdom, some 5 years ago i asked the nice ntl engineer to have my modem in the attic. i had visions of this being my network nerve centre. it is however simply where all the crap gets thrown.

As a result i have the cable drop connected to a splitter OUTSIDE the house (in the brown box). the TV cable is directly through the wall into the white box where it connects to an isolator before it connects to the tivo. the other cable runs outside my house all the way up to the attic.

i now want my (cough) SUPERhub downstairs sooooo.....

can i simply swap the isolator (in the white box) for another splitter and grab a short coax off ebay and hook up the modem??

this would mean the signal chain would go as follows

TAP --- SPLITTER---SPLITTER---TIVO/MODEM

or should i remove the outside splitter, pass the drop cable through the existing hole in the wall, reconnect on the other side?

is the isolator even important at this stage?

over such a short distance will the signal loss of another splitter be that much?

sorry i'm a complete novice who has been googling so feel free to point out if i'm talking complete crap!!!;)

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

as an extra idea - would signal loss be better if i replace the outside splitter with a simple pass-through connector and then bring the splitter inside? means the cable outside my house is useless but i'm ok with that!

thenry
29-08-2012, 01:26
leave the isolator alone under the white box.

you can buy a splitter on ebay and some coaxial cable plus F connectors to prepare and connect a short cable from the isolator to a splitter then 2 cables.. 1 feeding the SH and the other to the tivo.

your old cable to the loft may degrade quality left connected so you could just disconnect that cable outside and leave it or remove it completely. if you want to remove the splitter outside then get a F plug coupler barrel and join the two black cables.. the feed from the cab to the feed going into your downstairs room. direct connection, no degrade.

is there a white box and isolator fitted in the loft too?

Jonnymeg
29-08-2012, 21:46
Basically the easiest thing to do with what you have is just to swap around the splitter and the isolator (Downstairs) thus disconnecting the upstairs feed.
This will keep your signal levels the same and also ensure there is an isolator in the system.

HTH