PDA

View Full Version : Instally/CS Woe

Huss73
10-08-2012, 14:21
Decided to jump up to the Premier Collection ( currently have XXL 50mb, XL TV, V+HD, VHD box and M phone ) as it was slightly cheaper.

So Premier.....60mb, Tivo box, additional VHD box. good deal

Phoned Virgin, no problem, all set up for install on 9th, only a weeks wait.

Never received a confirmation letter detailing the services, which although was a bit concerning, considering the short wait, i wasnt too worried.

So yesterday then, engineer turns up, comes in, has a look around and gets on with it ( additional VHD box going into kids room ). Umms a bit having to run the cable round the side of the house, he suggested taking a feed from existing VHD box upstairs, but that meant running cables so i said no.

Hour later he comes back down, he says all done, want to come look at the cabling..............what about the Tivo box????

Not on his job sheet, his only job was 60mb upgrade and a VHD box.

Also the new VHD box he has put in is on step 1 of 3 on updating.......he said thats normal and will update in about 10 mins.

He then just leaves ( thought he was going to his van ). After much 150'ing i finally get through to someone ( explaining to various people what has happened...........several times,i finally get through to the ??area installations team?? who confirms that i should indeed have a Premier install and that seeing as the engineer has not closed the job out, he will update his PDA and get him to come back to complete the install.

2 hours later, no call back, the VHD box is still at step 1 of 3 of updating

Another call to CS, who appear to have NO notes of my previous call and advise that no engineer is due to come back today..........WTF at this point.

After much moaning, i am then put through to the local install team again, who speak to the technician and confirm that he is coming back..........which thankfully he did..........problem is.........he only knows about the VHD box not working and thats the only job he is here to fix.

He states he doesnt even have a PDA, so would not know about the Tivo box.

I ask him about the 60mb upgrade from my 50mb upgrade as this hadnt seen to have been done.............his answer........." i have worked for VM for 3 years and they dont do 50mb, you must have 30mb"

Agains another phonecall...........i finally get through to a helpfull person ( thanks Margret ) who gives up on VM and rebooks my install to be done on the 15th..........the area manager could not get anyone out in the next 3 days to finish my install, this is about 6pm now............10am install, so nothing seems to be able to be done.

To top it all off................my TV service has now been downgraded to L......from XL, again apparently this cannot be sorted until the engineer visit on 15th.

Sorry for rant.........had a perfect service from VM until then, but yesterday was epic fail.

RB2004
11-08-2012, 18:12
Decided to jump up to the Premier Collection ( currently have XXL 50mb, XL TV, V+HD, VHD box and M phone ) as it was slightly cheaper.

So Premier.....60mb, Tivo box, additional VHD box. good deal

Phoned Virgin, no problem, all set up for install on 9th, only a weeks wait.

Never received a confirmation letter detailing the services, which although was a bit concerning, considering the short wait, i wasnt too worried.

So yesterday then, engineer turns up, comes in, has a look around and gets on with it ( additional VHD box going into kids room ). Umms a bit having to run the cable round the side of the house, he suggested taking a feed from existing VHD box upstairs, but that meant running cables so i said no.

Hour later he comes back down, he says all done, want to come look at the cabling..............what about the Tivo box????

Not on his job sheet, his only job was 60mb upgrade and a VHD box.

Also the new VHD box he has put in is on step 1 of 3 on updating.......he said thats normal and will update in about 10 mins.

He then just leaves ( thought he was going to his van ). After much 150'ing i finally get through to someone ( explaining to various people what has happened...........several times,i finally get through to the ??area installations team?? who confirms that i should indeed have a Premier install and that seeing as the engineer has not closed the job out, he will update his PDA and get him to come back to complete the install.

2 hours later, no call back, the VHD box is still at step 1 of 3 of updating

Another call to CS, who appear to have NO notes of my previous call and advise that no engineer is due to come back today..........WTF at this point.

After much moaning, i am then put through to the local install team again, who speak to the technician and confirm that he is coming back..........which thankfully he did..........problem is.........he only knows about the VHD box not working and thats the only job he is here to fix.

He states he doesnt even have a PDA, so would not know about the Tivo box.

I ask him about the 60mb upgrade from my 50mb upgrade as this hadnt seen to have been done.............his answer........." i have worked for VM for 3 years and they dont do 50mb, you must have 30mb"

Agains another phonecall...........i finally get through to a helpfull person ( thanks Margret ) who gives up on VM and rebooks my install to be done on the 15th..........the area manager could not get anyone out in the next 3 days to finish my install, this is about 6pm now............10am install, so nothing seems to be able to be done.

To top it all off................my TV service has now been downgraded to L......from XL, again apparently this cannot be sorted until the engineer visit on 15th.

Sorry for rant.........had a perfect service from VM until then, but yesterday was epic fail.

Hi, thanks for sharing with us :)

no need to apoligise for the rant, some of us have had similar problems with VM and its nice to know we arent alone!

people are probably fed up with me sometimes referencing it lol, but it took me 6 years and 6 engineers to sort my services out.. weak signal from the start.

In the end had to wise up, and find out what should and shouldnt be and fix it myself.

Unfortunately sometimes these things happen, engineers are pushed to their limits often doing more jobs in a day than their time allows for so some take shortcuts to get to the next job a little earlier and end up sacrificing quality for quantity.

DJSADERS
11-08-2012, 21:19
Unfortunately sometimes these things happen, engineers are pushed to their limits often doing more jobs in a day than their time allows for so some take shortcuts to get to the next job a little earlier and end up sacrificing quality for quantity.

You hit the nail on the head there bud... however you should have been left with the VHD working, and the tech should have contacted our dispatch centre to double check if not triple check the work order and have it amended...

RB2004
11-08-2012, 21:24
Yep that's exactly the problem. Lol

When I had my TiVo installed because I'm aware of this I offered to clear up after and let the engineer go because he left his number behind so I could call him should any problems arise.

This is why more and more people are having to do DIY stuff to vm cabling, like I had to.. Because ironically the end result of using proper equipment is better than engineer.. As you can spend longer on it... Problem comes though when people are frustrated with the quality of the install and do poor quality DIY on the installation which effects the network negatively

But agreed it should of been working.