PDA

View Full Version : Install questions

Joedm45
06-08-2012, 14:01
Hi guys,

Got a few install questions if anyone could help me out with some answers.

I quit VM a few months ago as I was moving to a non VM area. I will be moving again at the end of the year and planning to sign up to VM as the new place already has VM services in.

The white box for TV/BB is currently in a bedroom and I would like it moved to the living room, will the installer do this? Sounds like a silly question but thought I'd ask.

I am also tempted with multiroom as the new 'collection' bundles seem like a good deal compared to what I was paying last time with 1 box.
Next question is can VM install cables and defer the contract start date? I ask as the property is being completely re-decorated so I would prefer all cables to be hidden while the floorboards are up. Or is an easier option to run the cable myself from point to point and then just get VM in when I am ready. If so then which cable would I need to buy? Any links would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Joe

RB2004
06-08-2012, 23:28
Installer won't move the existing point within same room..there is something like a £70 charge for that.. BUT they will put in extra points for multi room, OR if the room you want the services presently has no point.

If u run own cables then webro hd100 is only suitable cable that meets vm triple shielding standard. But no guarantee a vm engineer will use even though it exceeds vm standard... Depends on the day. Hd100 is not easily available in the shops but readily available on eBay in various lengths.

Sat and digital cable does work, but due to lack of 3rd layer shielding it doesn't meet vm spec.. So it gives engineer even more reason not to use, and any faults and vm have a reason to blame you.

So hd100 triple shielded cable exceeds vm spec and you can't go wrong with it.

Also need ppc-ex6 NT plus connectors if you put on your own connectors.. These are also on eBay, and exact same ones that vm use with a serrated nut, twist on f connectors which sky use are not really recommended.

But what I'd do is ask the engineer to leave a few extra meters as you are redecorating and want to put them under the floor. Then all you need to do is unscrew the f connector from the top of the isolator... Re-route cable under floor then reconnect after.

Likelihood is when you undo it will be hand tight, but retighten it with a spanner, so it's not too tight but not hand tight either.. Just slightly more.

Engineers went around cabinets a while ago tightening connections.. But most installers don't bother.. But it helps with signal loss and noise ao good practice.

That's what I did, then he left an extra 3 metres coiled up outside, I've since put it under the floor also so all the slack is hidden and I had plenty of spare :) it's a bit of a temporary mess outside but it's to your benefit if re-routing it

Joedm45
07-08-2012, 13:48
Many thanks for your informative response RB2004.

That pretty much answers my questions and some great advice too.

So, it looks like I can get the point moved to the living room included in the install charge (if there is any charge of course)

Regarding the cable runs, it sounds like it is catch 22. If I buy the cable and run it myself then there is a chance they will refuse to use it so I've wasted time and money.

I think I will do my redecorating and then get VM in to install the services before the carpets get fitted, that way I have a fighting chance of getting the cable runs hidden from day 1. Once installed and the engineer is happily on his merry way I might buy the cable and connectors and run the cables in to all other bedrooms that way I can move the 2nd box to another bedroom in future if need be.

Thanks again for your help.