PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered 60MB-Install Question

justasking92
21-07-2012, 20:51
Hello,
I just ordered 60mb BB with Phone and it is due for install next wed,howeever we had a person come to look at our home a few days ago and because of the people who used to live here before he has wrote down that we already have cable which was installed like 10 years ago..(it says CABLEMEDIA) on the front of the brown box and is very old... another problem is this Brown box goes from the front of the house ALL the way to the back into our living room where we dont want it for two reasons which we said but the guy seemed to ignore ous...

firstly we have a big and crazy dog and he is always in that room and will knock it off because there is nowhere to keep it

secoundly the plugs in that room are very very bad and dangerous and we never use them becasue they always go off and we lose power in that room...

Im hoping that they can rewire it upstairs into my office but the survery person seems like he just wanted a quick job to be done on installion date... and this is NOT what i want and it cant be done..

should it be possible to rewire it UPSTAIRS into my office( just above the living room)

Also will the brown box we currently have from CABLEMEDIA have wiring good enough to support 60MB cable broadband from Virgin BB. here is a picture of it:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2w5ohw8.jpg

Virgin claims i live in an area with 100MBS so im hoping my cabling is fine because i dont beleive they are sending someone to recable to my property :S anyone know anythign about this... i believe cablemedia is from the 90's.

DJSADERS
21-07-2012, 21:39
Yes the current cable will be fine as it basically coax to the cabinet, so will carry the speed fine... all the complicated technical bits are handled at the headend by virgin.

Also on install day just nicely ask the tech to put it where you want it, and i'm surte they will :) (Also a cup of coffee will help :))

justasking92
21-07-2012, 22:06
Yes the current cable will be fine as it basically coax to the cabinet, so will carry the speed fine... all the complicated technical bits are handled at the headend by virgin.

Also on install day just nicely ask the tech to put it where you want it, and i'm surte they will :) (Also a cup of coffee will help :))

Ok thank you, i believe you are an installer of some kind and i requested to add you on skype for a feq questions..
where the white box in the house is currently it cannot go anyway but if you wouldnt mind to add me on skype so i can ask a question or two THANK:)

Also as you see in the picture of the omnibox?i believe (brown box) there are two wires going in and then one thick wire going out, is that thick wire seperate so they can install a new one and place it in my office

jb66
21-07-2012, 22:17
The two going in are telephone and bb/tv. They will cut the cable and run a new one to your office

justasking92
21-07-2012, 22:20
The two going in are telephone and bb/tv. They will cut the cable and run a new one to your office

This may sound dumb but how can it be BB when BB wasnt even around when this box would of been placed on the wall.

jb66
21-07-2012, 22:38
Broadband uses the tv cables, the network was adapted to use broadband but was originally designed to be used for analogue tv!

justasking92
21-07-2012, 22:39
Broadband uses the tv cables, the network was adapted to use broadband but was originally designed to be used for analogue tv!

never knew that thank you ;)
learn something new everyday
does the same kind of technique apply to people who get brand new instaltion or is this an old thing

Jonnymeg
21-07-2012, 23:25
Mate, don't worry. You will be fine.
Your cabling is totally normal an sufficient.

What you need to do is show the installer where you would like it installing, it is his job to do this and ensure you are happy. If you meet any objections then be polite yet forceful.

Enjoy the service.

SnoopZ
21-07-2012, 23:40
If the cable is really old it maybe possible that it is a little thin? The reason i said this is i had Cambridge Cable installed in the late 90s and although it worked pretty well with my broadband it was decided last year it needed a repull as i wasn't getting a good signal from it and Virgin installed a thicker cable.

jb66
21-07-2012, 23:51
That's only if your really far away from the cabinet and as the op is only getting bb only, even a long rg6 cable should've fine as the modem doesn't require high frequency signals

SnoopZ
21-07-2012, 23:54
That's only if your really far away from the cabinet and as the op is only getting bb only, even a long rg6 cable should've fine as the modem doesn't require high frequency signals

You're correct i was far away from the cabinet. :)

justasking92
22-07-2012, 00:05

the cabiner is like 100meteres away from me if that, its even one of the new shiny grey ones ;)
thanks alot everyone for your help have really given me alot of confidence.. was worried alot about VM and there instaltion "nightmares"..what forums like these do to you :) thank you

looking forward to my install on Wed

justasking92
25-07-2012, 15:41
Thanks everyone for there help just had 60mb BB installed in Leeds:
Download Failed (1)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/07/21.png

Jonnymeg
25-07-2012, 21:55
Thanks everyone for there help just had 60mb BB installed in Leeds:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/66940198.png
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/07/21.png

looks good, enjoy