PDA

View Full Version : Changing old box.

DaG
10-07-2012, 19:53
Hi all.
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes.
I've been a cable customer since the nineties & currently have an ancient NTL box & an oldish moden which doesn't have a built in wireless router.
My son has moved to an area that has no cable & has given me his VM TV box & VM wireless router which are much newer (& prettier) than my stuff. If I call VM will they be able to set up the modem & TV box to operate from my card, or would it require a visit from a SE? Or is it not possible at all?
Thanks.

spiderplant
10-07-2012, 20:35
It's not possible at all. He should return the items to VM, otherwise he may get charged for them.

RobboEdin
10-07-2012, 20:37
This equipment will not work and cannot be made to work.

The equipment still belongs to Virgin Media and not your son. He may find that he is billed by Virgin Media for this equipment if he has not discussed its return when he cancelled his contract.

thenry
10-07-2012, 20:39
call VM they will replace your old out of date not fit for purpose equipment

qasdfdsaq
10-07-2012, 21:13
This equipment will not work and cannot be made to work.
Yes it can, when proper procedures are followed.

spiderplant
10-07-2012, 21:47
Yes it can, when proper procedures are followed.
The proper procedure is to return it to VM so it can be correctly refurbished. There is no alternative.

deathtrap3000
10-07-2012, 22:54
The proper procedure is to return it to VM so it can be correctly refurbished. There is no alternative.
There are stories of people calling up and getting modems activated that were bought from ebay.

qasdfdsaq
10-07-2012, 22:55

I meant the proper procedures at VM's end.

VM frequently tell customers to keep/dump the old equipment themselves as they do not want it back. There is nothing wrong in doing so.

DaG
10-07-2012, 23:34
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
My son cancelled his VM & they said they would send him a bag to return the hardware. He moved a few days later & no return bag had arrived so he gave them to me. I was going to contact VM & return them but thought I might see if I can use them.
If I asked VM for more up to date TV & internet boxes (as thenry said) would they likely replace my old stuff. I'd order a Tivo box but refuse to pay £50 installation for something I rent & that I'll be paying extra for each month.

thenry
11-07-2012, 00:10
There are stories of people calling up and getting modems activated that were bought from ebay.

gone are those days in place of proper procedures!

I meant the proper procedures at VM's end.

VM frequently tell customers to keep/dump the old equipment themselves as they do not want it back. There is nothing wrong in doing so.

unless you get a self install box with the return sticker or tech install.. yeah your left with the equipment unless someone actually sends out an empty return box or area staff actually pick up the equipment.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
My son cancelled his VM & they said they would send him a bag to return the hardware. He moved a few days later & no return bag had arrived so he gave them to me. I was going to contact VM & return them but thought I might see if I can use them.
If I asked VM for more up to date TV & internet boxes (as thenry said) would they likely replace my old stuff. I'd order a Tivo box but refuse to pay £50 installation for something I rent & that I'll be paying extra for each month.

you need both your broadband modem and TV box replaced. theres a VHD box they can send out plus the SuperHub.. youll probably be charged 20quid postage.

the box itll come in will be the same box youll send back your old equipment in so tear the tear back strip off carefully then reseal once youve put all the old equipment in. therell be a sticker and guide within the self install kit/box. its pretty straight forward.

while on the phone ordering new equipment tell them about your sons stuff that youve got now seeing as he's moved. they might just say stick that in box too with your old returns... if it fits. or just take it to your local VM HQ

DaG
11-07-2012, 00:33
gone are those days in place of proper procedures!

unless you get a self install box with the return sticker or tech install.. yeah your left with the equipment unless someone actually sends out an empty return box or area staff actually pick up the equipment.

you need both your broadband modem and TV box replaced. theres a VHD box they can send out plus the SuperHub.. youll probably be charged 20quid postage.

the box itll come in will be the same box youll send back your old equipment in so tear the tear back strip off carefully then reseal once youve put all the old equipment in. therell be a sticker and guide within the self install kit/box. its pretty straight forward.

while on the phone ordering new equipment tell them about your sons stuff that youve got now seeing as he's moved. they might just say stick that in box too with your old returns... if it fits. or just take it to your local VM HQ

Ok, thanks for that thenry.
There is a VM HQ a couple of miles from where I live, so I'll do as you said. The boxes are no good to me if i can't use them, so I might as well be green & return them.

thenry
11-07-2012, 00:37
let us know how you get on

jb66
11-07-2012, 07:32
You don't NEED to get the boxes replaced, they are not obsolete. There nit faulty.

You can call up and request to upgrade to the newer boxes

thenry
11-07-2012, 13:20
both are no longer standard kit though? plus he says he's had that equipment since the 90's

spiderplant
11-07-2012, 13:38
he says he's had that equipment since the 90's
He hasn't. All NTL boxes made in the 90's were replaced in 2009 as they couldn't support the new smartcards.

There is no reason to replace kit that is working. If it isn't working, report the fault and it will get fixed.

DaG
11-07-2012, 22:28
He hasn't. All NTL boxes made in the 90's were replaced in 2009 as they couldn't support the new smartcards.

There is no reason to replace kit that is working. If it isn't working, report the fault and it will get fixed.

Sorry but you are wrong about that. VM didn't replace the boxes, just the cards.

My tv box is from when NTL changed to digital & was a replacement for my original Jerrold analogue box. It's also silver & looks naff beside my other black gloss boxes.
As for the modem newer customers get a wireless router modem & pay the same as me so I don't think I would be unreasonable asking for the newer modem.
If they say no I will cancell & go to Sky. Can't see them wanting to lose a customer for the sake of a couple of black boxes.

spiderplant
11-07-2012, 23:21
Sorry but you are wrong about that. VM didn't replace the boxes, just the cards.

My tv box is from when NTL changed to digital & was a replacement for my original Jerrold analogue box. It's also silver & looks naff beside my other black gloss boxes.

If your box is silver, it was made by Samsung, and these were introduced at the end of 2003.

NTL had previously used Pace digital boxes. The oldest of these were replaced for the card swap.

thenry
11-07-2012, 23:31
I had the old pace breifcase of a box for years and years regardless of new cards being sent out

jb66
12-07-2012, 07:09
The paces are still put there chugging away, we swap out the 1000s and the 2000s but the 4000s are not obsolete

spiderplant
12-07-2012, 08:30
I had the old pace breifcase of a box for years and years regardless of new cards being sent outOnly NTL boxes that were made before mid-2000 needed to be replaced. There wasn't a problem with any of the Telewest or Cable&Wireless boxes.

beeman
12-07-2012, 21:47
If your box is silver, it was made by Samsung, and these were introduced at the end of 2003.

NTL had previously used Pace digital boxes. The oldest of these were replaced for the card swap.

I still have the blue pace NTL box (installed in 98 or 99 i think) it works with the new smartcards just fine (i was never offered a replacement) However what it cant handel is the pin protection of the movie channels ;)

spiderplant
13-07-2012, 06:58
I still have the blue pace NTL box (installed in 98 or 99 i think) it works with the new smartcards just fine
Is this the poor memory thread? ;). Cambridge didn't even get digital until mid 2000.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=935510&highlight=

Post the first 11 characters from your box's long serial number (something like PABAAOP0423) and I'll tell you when it was made.