PDA

View Full Version : Master socket... Replacement

Cypermethrin
14-05-2012, 20:47
I have what used to ne an ntl analogue cable and phone line in my house

The cable component is long since dead and not used.... But the phone line we do use

We still have the huge ntl white box inside the property. I have removed the unused cable attenuator years ago and all that remains in the box is the master socket. It has the incoming pair screwed into the IN on pins 2 and 5, it also has an extension line connected to the adjacent krone connectors using pins 2, 3 and 5

I have been looking around for a smaller master socket .... But all the ones i have found just have pins 1 to 6; with no where for the incoming pair to be connected (suppose in old terms these were also referred to as A and B)

So my question.... Can i just wire the incoming pair to the 2 and 5 pins and the extension to pins 2, 3 and 5 to the new master socket ? Or am I missing something

And yes its definately a master socket with the large capacitor etc

Many thanks

jb66
14-05-2012, 20:51
No, It wouldn't ring when someone calls as it doesn't have a capacitor

Cypermethrin
14-05-2012, 21:02
Thanks jb66

Perhaps i wasnt clear enough. The new socket is a master socket and has a capacitor. And the old socket is a master and has a capcitor

What i was try (badly) to ask was the old socket has the incoming pair set away from the pins 1 to 6 in a block of their own; whereas the new master socket onky has a bank of krone pins 1 to 6

So is it just a case of putting all the wires into the new master onto the one block of pins 1 to 6 ( i.e., pin 2 will have 2 wires connected; pins3 only one wire; and pin5 two wires ?

jb66
14-05-2012, 21:12
Yeah that's fine, if it doesn't work for some reason put two masters in your house and just connect the two wires

Cypermethrin
14-05-2012, 21:16
Here a picture of the of the old master so you can see the incoming pair to the right hand side connected to pin2 and 5

And then the extension socket on the left hand side

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/05/51.jpg

And this is the part i am thinking of replacing it with ..... Is this appropriate

http://store.yourdigitalhome.co.uk/termination/CON-MOD-BT.html

deathtrap3000
15-05-2012, 00:09
Yes that new master socket is fine. Just connect both blue pairs to 2 and 5. 3 isnt needed any more unless you have an old phone.