PDA

View Full Version : Moving House Soon

Another_Account
11-05-2012, 13:56
Hi,

I've been a loyal customer for many years and have recently taken the step of buying a new house (further down the valley....)

It's in a cable area and I can get like for like services, however my new property has not had Cable installed and ideally I would like to remain with Virgin but I have concerns that if I indicate the move - engineers may turn up and dig a hole in my monoblocking....

What would ordinarily happen? and how can I can be in control in the situation :dozey:

Cheers

J

nodrogd
12-05-2012, 17:52
The contractors who pull the cable will just coil it up outside the tee. On the install date there will be a separate contractor to do the house wiring (you take all your VM kit with you). The vast majority will not touch block paving etc with a barge pole, as they don't have the time.

Is there a route round it? If not the best advice is to lift and re-lay the paving yourself (the cable will go in trunking, so if a re-pull is required at any time, you won't have to repeat the process).

Another_Account
14-05-2012, 09:45
Thanks mate, big decision then - have to balance up all the pros and cons of sticking with Virgin or moving to Sky

Cheers

MrIca
15-05-2012, 19:23
The contractors who pull the cable will just coil it up outside the tee. On the install date there will be a separate contractor to do the house wiring (you take all your VM kit with you). The vast majority will not touch block paving etc with a barge pole, as they don't have the time.

Is there a route round it? If not the best advice is to lift and re-lay the paving yourself (the cable will go in trunking, so if a re-pull is required at any time, you won't have to repeat the process).

When you say they won't touch block paving do you mean they'd just walk away from the job and lose VM a customer?

v0id
15-05-2012, 19:56
When you say they won't touch block paving do you mean they'd just walk away from the job and lose VM a customer?

They'll pin it to the ground at the edge and cement over it

Peter_
15-05-2012, 21:57
They are not employed or insured to lift and reinstate any block paving nor would they have the time, if a customer requires any cabling to go under the paving then they have to cover the cost of getting the pavings uplifted, ducting fitted and the relaying of said paving.

The other options are cement or ducting pinned along the edge.

As for losing a customer would you prefer to have the paving ripped up and left or reinstated by a professional, I know which option I would choose.

The installers would just walk away if presented with such scenario and rightly so as it is not in their remit or contract.

Another_Account
16-05-2012, 12:26
Thanks, I guess now the question is if I contact the move Team how long will it take them to evaluate it?

Baed on your feedback (Peter) - I take it such work would not be carried out with my express say so and approval? They would contact me and at that point I would decide to stay or go?

Thanks

Peter_
16-05-2012, 21:17
Thanks, I guess now the question is if I contact the move Team how long will it take them to evaluate it?

Baed on your feedback (Peter) - I take it such work would not be carried out with my express say so and approval? They would contact me and at that point I would decide to stay or go?

Thanks
If the is other work required such as above then it would not go ahead, it is best if you fit ducting and the installers would be made up.

jempalmer
16-05-2012, 21:22
If the is other work required such as above then it would not go ahead, it is best if you fit ducting and the installers would be made up.
Surely they're real Peter? :D

Peter_
16-05-2012, 21:26
Surely they're real Peter? :D
Check on the community forum first.;)

jempalmer
16-05-2012, 21:29
You make a very good point there, although imaginary installers are potentially scarier than the real thing. I'm just not sure any more :D