PDA

View Full Version : Damage to drainage pipes!

ispy121
30-04-2012, 22:43
Hi all,

About 5 years ago I had cable installed. They ran the cable from the road to the front of the house. Since then, getting worse, the drainpipe has been overflowing from the top.
This weekend i dug out the soakaway drainpipe, which is right next to where the cables were placed. The drain goes underground and about 8ft away from the house to a soakaway. Just at the point, near the house, where the cables ran right over the drain, it was smashed in. An attempt at a repair had been carried out, (bit of a plastic bag). This had caused the pipe to fill up with mud and debris and completely block.
I have just phoned NTL and been told I have to put everything in writing.
Has anyone else had similar and been successful in getting them to fix the damage caused by their operatives. Yes it was 5 odd years ago, but when they cover over their mistakes and f.. off how are we meant to know what they've done.

Any advice welcome.

Best Regards.

judgey
02-05-2012, 17:54
Hmm NTL is no longer with us.
I wonder if ZVirgin will fix this>.

MovedGoalPosts
02-05-2012, 19:11
Virgin Media is just the trading brnading name of ntl:telewest.

The real question is whether after all this time, the discovery of the defect only now, gives rise to any claim in law. ntl:telewest would probably want to offest the claim against their contractor, whoever they might have been, although as far as you are concerned it was the company you instructed to install the supply, ntl that you7'd hold liable. After all this time you'd need to be able to prove it was the install did the damage and it wasn't something else, such as poor construction to the original drain that lead to a blockage. I hope you did take a load of photos. I suspect this is going to take a lot of prodding from you to get anyone at VM to want to deal with it.

Kymmy
02-05-2012, 19:30
Limitations act says 6 years for claims in relation to negligence