PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Wall Socket Extensions

tombaker75
26-04-2012, 16:03
Hi Folks, I've recently upgraded to 60meg BB but now need to create an extension from wall socket to the superhub as the existing wall socket is in an awkward position. What is the best cable to use and what are the pitfalls to look out for? All help is much appreciated.

AndyCalling
26-04-2012, 20:26
I am told by the gurus here that messing with your cable length can cause your connection to get messed up. I'd make sure you get full info first. Take a look here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33686959-fibre-optic-cable-wire.html

It doesn't give you the full details but it does give you an idea of the kind of issues you need to research.

If at all possible it is better to leave the modem cable alone and get a longer ethernet cable instead. Is that really out of the question?

Nice nickname you've got there. :)~

tombaker75
26-04-2012, 20:44
Hi Andy, thanks for the heads up! To explain in further detail, my shub is located in what will be my children's bedroom so I'm wanting to get it out of the way to free up my limited power supply in that room. Having attempted some research, I can see that extending the coax cable could be tricky, however I'd like to know what kit is required as an ethernet cable extension won't solve the issue I have. Is this something that I'll have to get VM to sort?

craigj2k12
26-04-2012, 21:11
they will charge you £99 to move the hub

Sephiroth
26-04-2012, 21:13
If you have VM TV then you can move the modem there with a splitter. If you're reasonably close to the street cabinet, there would be no power issues.

Otherwise the VM engineer will run a cable outside the hose from your wall box to the location you need. Would be a chargeable visit, but you could check with Customer Services to make sure.