PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Replacement Router (100mb)

Loveday10
26-04-2012, 11:33
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to routers and what to look for.

I live in a house with 3 other lads and we have the virgin superhub with 100mb speed, but the wireless is absolutely shocking (as you all probably know).

Could someone recommend a good router based on these requirements:

- Able to handle 3 consoles, 1 tivo box, 4 iphones, 1 ipad and 3 laptops connected.

- As close as we can to 100mb speed wireless, no worries if around the 50mb 70mb speed.

- Budget of £60

Also, when it comes to setting up the new router im pretty new to all this kind of stuff.

Do we just put the superhub into modem mode, link up the new router via an Ethernet cable then thats it?

Or is there something extra.

Cheers,
Rob

Jumping
26-04-2012, 11:55
Indeed you would put the superhub in modem mode and attach it to the new rotuer via an ethernet cable.

The tivo box uses its own connection so it doesn't go through the router.

You get what you pay for I have to say im pretty pleased with my TP-LINK wr1034nd which you can get on Amazon for around £42 if you had a bigger budget Linksys does good kit. But as I said the TP-Link been great for me wireless speed and signal strength is so much better than the superhub.

thenry
26-04-2012, 11:59
have a look at these two threads...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33687022-best-router.html

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33686774-looking-for-good-wireless-router-100mb.html

setup wise. don't use any CDs that come with the router. access the routers settings via the web IP. as long as its set to obtain IP via auto or dynamic all you need to do is stick the SH into modem mode then link a ethernet cable. in modem mode the ethernet port on the SH closest to the white cable input is the 1 to use.. then the other end goes into the routers WAN port.

new routers have a password already created for the you wireless network but you can check that out manually via tabs within settings or a quick install process.

Loveday10
26-04-2012, 12:02
Been looking at that TP-Link one Jumping. Looks good, what speeds do you get wireless with it?

Jumping
26-04-2012, 12:11
I only have 50mb bb and I can max that out no bother. Getting full speed on speedtest via wireless.

qasdfdsaq
26-04-2012, 14:55
Been looking at that TP-Link one Jumping. Looks good, what speeds do you get wireless with it?
The WR1043nd tops out at about 140-160mbps wirelessly.

Not sure the WR1034nd actually exists outside of typo-land.

Mad Max
26-04-2012, 16:23
I think that its ridiculous that people are having to pay for routers because the equipment Virgin are supplying is sub standard, they should either get this superhub sorted pronto or supply the people who are having problems with the wireless side of it with a new router, at their expense!

Skie
26-04-2012, 17:17
I think that its ridiculous that people are having to pay for routers because the equipment Virgin are supplying is sub standard, they should either get this superhub sorted pronto or supply the people who are having problems with the wireless side of it with a new router, at their expense!

At least they have stopped charging people £75 for the thing. You could buy a bunch of far better routers for that price

GavChap
26-04-2012, 17:50
I had a WR1043ND, and it was fine, but I wasn't too impressed with the wireless dropping. Might have just been mine though. I returned it and got a 2nd hand Netgear WNDR3700v2

akhlaq768
23-11-2012, 09:24
Firstly will the WNDR3700 work on virgin cable and secondly what is the retail price for them...

Sephiroth
23-11-2012, 10:12

You wouldn't be saying that if all VM were doing was to supply a modem only like they did for all the years before the SH.

There's reality and there's waiting for VM to sort the wretched thing out. Zilch in two years' history.

The OP has asked the right questions and is doing the right thing.

ferretuk
23-11-2012, 10:26
You wouldn't be saying that if all VM were doing was to supply a modem only like they did for all the years before the SH.

There's reality and there's waiting for VM to sort the wretched thing out. Zilch in two years' history.

The OP has asked the right questions and is doing the right thing.

I think Mad Max has probably moved on from this issue - The original question was asked 7 months ago...

akhlaq768 has resurrected the thread...

Sephiroth
23-11-2012, 10:40
Ah - yes. Still, the message is as valid now as it was in April. The wretched thing in router mode is worse than ever!!

Dark Fiber
23-11-2012, 12:59
Vm are supplying a "hub" (combination modem/ wireless router) only because it became the norm for their competitors (ADSL) to do so. Inevitably, this has given rise to a feeling of entitlement among some customers.
Many of us would prefer if a (multi channel) modem was the only CPE supplied, leaving customers to set up their networks as they think best. Although technically superior, that won't happen even as a paid-for option, for purely commercial reasons :(

Sephiroth
23-11-2012, 13:04
Vm are supplying a "hub" (combination modem/ wireless router) only because it became the norm for their competitors (ADSL) to do so. Inevitably, this has given rise to a feeling of entitlement among some customers.
Many of us would prefer if a (multi channel) modem was the only CPE supplied, leaving customers to set up their networks as they think best. Although technically superior, that won't happen even as a paid-for option, for purely commercial reasons :(

I'd partially challenge that. True, you did qualify the remark with "ADSL". But the real competitor to VM now is BT Infinity. With that, BT provide a separate modem and router. Also you can put your own nodem (or gateway/hub) on instead of the BT supplied device.

VM provided the hub out of misguided stupidty. Nothing else.

Dark Fiber
23-11-2012, 13:11
I'm presently sitting in a relative's house with BT Infinity, wirelessly connected to a BTHub3. I didn't know there was a modem-only option, no one I know has it. BTW the speed here is only 4Mb/s today cf my newly doubled 20Mb/s at home!

robson689
23-11-2012, 13:27
I'm presently sitting in a relative's house with BT Infinity, wirelessly connected to a BTHub3. I didn't know there was a modem-only option, no one I know has it. BTW the speed here is only 4Mb/s today cf my newly doubled 20Mb/s at home!

The BTHub3 doesn't combine the router and modem. It has a port for ADSL if you're not on infinity, and it has a WAN port for Infinity customers. The WAN port is where the connection from the separate modem goes.

Sephiroth
23-11-2012, 13:31
The HH3 is a router that connects to the Infinity modem. Your relative can put any cable router on instead (configured for PPoE) if they wanted to. Or they can buy a VDSL Gateway that would do what the SuperHub does (only much better).

I have both BT Infinity and VM XXL 100. The BT supplied Huawei modem is connected to an ASUS RT56-NU router (I threw the HH away - quite useles). I get about 55 meg on Infinity owing to the constraints of the twisted pair to the cabinet. My VM 100 is mostly spot on.

Dark Fiber
23-11-2012, 13:34
Apologies, I've just located the modem proper under the bed! Wouldn't it be great if this aspect of BT Infinity forced a rethink in the rarefied upper echelons of Vm?

Sephiroth
23-11-2012, 13:46
Stable door, mate. The SH is a perfectly credible cable modem. All VM have to do is promote it as such and declare the router functions as either "get you going" or "inadvisable".

qasdfdsaq
23-11-2012, 18:09
And take out the excessive crap that makes it consume three times as much electricity as necessary.