PDA

View Full Version : 100M SH Just turned Up What should I do?

flashyphotos
23-04-2012, 12:07
Was on 50 with a great service, (Area 30) never had a problem apart from the SH, which after some hassle I managed to get swapped out for a VMG300.

Anyway was upgraded to 100mbit a few days ago on the doublespeed upgrade, great service still 100 down and 5 up solid.

Knock at the door this morning and its Yodel with a package from VM, open it up and its a SH with a letter saying its needed as part of trhe upgrade to 100 and I need to activate it and return the VMG300 in the box or my account may be charged £150!!

What should I do, I know the SH is a bit better now, but I really dont see the need to get rid of a solid and reliable VMG300, but also dont want to get hit for £150 by not returning it.

qasdfdsaq
23-04-2012, 12:31
I'll send you mine, which VM told me to throw away. Then you can return mine, pretend it's yours, keep your actual modem in place, everybody wins.

jb66
23-04-2012, 13:04
just do nothing, keep the dud and if anyone calls explain you dont want it

Sephiroth
23-04-2012, 13:05
Plus string them out by arguing that the SH price is £75 or whatever, not £150. Have fun with them.

Chrysalis
23-04-2012, 13:55
I would say just ignore it and use the vmng300, the letter for £150 seems weird and unusual by VM. I never got such a letter when my 2nd SH was sent to me, and I left that 2nd SH unused for months before trying it out. What was funny tho is that SH was pre activated so until I told VM that I had both activated I was able to use both at once.

peanut
23-04-2012, 13:57
Bin it. :) I've just installed my SH and I'm regretting it now. Just lately everything that I 'upgrade' seems to be more like downgrading....

craigj2k12
23-04-2012, 14:00
they said your allowed to keep the VMNG, its on the VM forum so if they charge you then you can take it to court

babis3g
23-04-2012, 14:17
keep both
use the old one
ingore the letter....if they will take you to court should give you notice...when notice comes for court date ring them up to sort it...
or.....
just give them a call now to sort it ...EDIT ... and tell them with the new you have problems and is not stable plus many ping and jitter wi-fi does not work well etc ....on VM forums are many people still using the old one

peanut
23-04-2012, 14:22
If you activate the SH, can you still use the VMG300 if you ain't happy with the superhub?

Skie
23-04-2012, 15:26
Can you scan the letter? (blank out your address, name and customer number of course).

I'd probably just send them the superhub back. Or a brick. Both have pretty much the same functionality in wireless mode.

Chrysalis
23-04-2012, 16:03
If you activate the SH, can you still use the VMG300 if you ain't happy with the superhub?

if he turns it on and it just works he will probably be able to use both.

If he rings up to get it activated they will 99% chance disable the vmng300 first.

flashyphotos
23-04-2012, 16:08
Cheers Guys,

Will just sit on it a while then and see if they come back to me

EDIT - I plugged it in, and its NOT Preactivated so not going any further with it in case they disable the VMG300

Here is a copy of the letter that was in the box with it

http://www.ebaystorage.webspace.virginmedia.com/IMG_0182.JPG

babis3g
23-04-2012, 16:22
that i mean my post up
keep the old one
if anything they will come back to you
probebly everyone getting same letters

thenry
23-04-2012, 16:36
activate the SH > stick it into modem mode > link your router > send back the VMNG300.

if theres negatives, complain. then complain some more.. and then some more to the CEOs office. if all goes tits up with the SH ask for another VMNG300.

scaseman
23-04-2012, 16:37
Just ring them up and tell them you are unable to take the package to the collection centre due to (insert reason here) and that you need them to collect it.

Russ
23-04-2012, 16:53
Please do not post large images like that, a url link will suffice thanks.

jb66
23-04-2012, 17:17
Just ring them up and tell them you are unable to take the package to the collection centre due to I CAN'T BE ARSED and that you need them to collect it.

Skie
23-04-2012, 17:27
Or even better, just toss the Superhub back in the box and send it to them. Thats a stock letter, its not requesting a specific piece of hardware. Someone in VM will just scan the barcode and enter the MAC of the SH and it will clear the flag on their system.

If they do pick up on it and ask for the VMNG300 back, tell them you got it from the CEO's office and that they will have to speak to them before you will part with it. Higher authority and all that.

Chrysalis
23-04-2012, 17:40
interesting how much the vmng300 is valued, they toss away SH's like candy and want 150 notes for the vmng300.

Graham M
23-04-2012, 17:41
I don't get peoples problem with the SH, just had one installed the other day and it's absolutely fine :confused:

Milambar
23-04-2012, 17:51
I note people saying to ignore the letter, etc. I would be very wary about following that advice, as they could just debit the £150 via direct debit, and then you'd have a fight on your hands to get it back.

Stuart
23-04-2012, 18:45
Was on 50 with a great service, (Area 30) never had a problem apart from the SH, which after some hassle I managed to get swapped out for a VMG300.

Anyway was upgraded to 100mbit a few days ago on the doublespeed upgrade, great service still 100 down and 5 up solid.

Knock at the door this morning and its Yodel with a package from VM, open it up and its a SH with a letter saying its needed as part of trhe upgrade to 100 and I need to activate it and return the VMG300 in the box or my account may be charged £150!!

What should I do, I know the SH is a bit better now, but I really dont see the need to get rid of a solid and reliable VMG300, but also dont want to get hit for £150 by not returning it.
DO NOT IGNORE THE LETTER. I would advise you to use the SH, and switch it to modem mode.

qasdfdsaq
23-04-2012, 19:13
Looks more like a termination of service generic form letter to me, i.e. what you get after disconnecting from VM.

If VM themselves say it's fine to keep your VMNG300 then I would hold them to that.

Neo-Tech
23-04-2012, 19:18
activate the SH > stick it into modem mode > link your router > send back the VMNG300.

if theres negatives, complain. then complain some more.. and then some more to the CEOs office. if all goes tits up with the SH ask for another VMNG300.
And why the hell would you send back a perfectly capable modem, in order to get the same modem in return (impossible now anyway)? That makes sense. And again, let me reiterate, do not give me this security nonsense. Get some proper evidence and base your responses backed up with evidence, then I'll believe you.

As for the OP... I'd e-mail the CEO and tell them that you don't want the SH. I'm sure you have plenty of reasons for yourself, and if you don't, there's plenty on here for you to tell them about. :)

If this is the route VM are going to take with removing VMNG300s off the network, there's going to be a lot of people that are going to be peeved off. Yes, the terms and conditions state that upkeep of property is VM's responsibility, but if the new equipment isn't half as capable at doing what's it supposed to do, what do you do then? Fascism tactics much...

That's not to say though that may might be doing this, like qas said, could just be a bog standard disconnection letter.

thenry
23-04-2012, 19:28
its called testing it out. plus the added channels aspect.

and the VMNG300 can operate at the docsis3 standard so no i wasnt going to bring up the security issue which it is on older kit.

Neo-Tech
23-04-2012, 19:43
The VMNG300 is more than perfectly capable of achieving 100Mb and is also a DOCSIS 3 modem. I'm not going to debate about what the VMNG300 is capable of doing, going off-topic.

craigj2k12
23-04-2012, 19:45
and the VMNG300 can operate at the docsis3 standard so no i wasnt going to bring up the security issue which it is on older kit.

*isnt

thenry
23-04-2012, 19:54
The VMNG300 is more than perfectly capable of achieving 100Mb and is also a DOCSIS 3 modem. I'm not going to debate about what the VMNG300 is capable of doing, going off-topic.

i didnt say it wasnt although the maxing out issue can be argued without VMs statements.. have a read on the forum. and erm.. this is about the VMNG-SuperHub :confused: ... theres benefits on both but the stand alone modem is more solid which i didnt or dont disagree with.

*isnt

is*

craigj2k12
23-04-2012, 20:15
is*

proof?

thenry
23-04-2012, 20:28
have a look yourself

Milambar
23-04-2012, 20:40
have a look yourself

Its usually up to the person making an assertation, to provide the proof to back up their assertation. As you made the assertation, its up to you to provide the proof, not tell people to find your proof for you.

thenry
23-04-2012, 20:48
have a look yourself.

back on topic. OP send the SH back without the letter you got if you want to keep hold of your VMNG.

Neo-Tech
23-04-2012, 21:18
i didnt say it wasnt although the maxing out issue can be argued without VMs statements.. have a read on the forum. and erm.. this is about the VMNG-SuperHub :confused: ... theres benefits on both but the stand alone modem is more solid which i didnt or dont disagree with.

is*

Sorry I misread as you saying it's not... apologies.

thenry
23-04-2012, 21:23
no problem

ferretuk
23-04-2012, 21:34
have a look yourself.

back on topic. OP send the SH back without the letter you got if you want to keep hold of your VMNG.

It's not his to keep!

T&Cs:

E Using our equipment

1.Where we hire equipment to you it will be our property at all times and we may need to alter or replace it from time to time. For us to do this, we will need reasonable access to your home.
2.You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times. To do this, you agree to do the following:
3.Follow the manufacturer's instructions and any other instructions we have given you;
4.Keep the equipment in your home and under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you).
5.Insure any of our equipment against any loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value;
6.Not tamper with disassemble, misuse, neglect or willfully damage our equipment;
7.Not remove, tamper with or cross out any words or labels on our equipment.
8.Take proper care at all times to prevent the loss or theft of our equipment.
9.You agree to tell us immediately about any loss or damage to any part of our equipment. You should do this by contacting our customer services team. You agree that you are responsible for any loss of or damage to the equipment, regardless of how it happens. We will charge you for any loss of or damage to the equipment.
10.If we or you end this agreement, if you decide to disconnect from some of our services, or if you wish to take up an offer to upgrade the equipment we provide to you, you must return the equipment to us or (if we choose) make it available for collection in a reasonable condition, allowing for fair wear and tear. If you fail to return or make available the equipment for collection for any reason, we are entitled to charge you for the replacement cost and reasonable recovery costs of the equipment. If we hold any money we may use that money towards the cost of the equipment. If we have supplied you with any additional equipment, we'd encourage you to dispose of it responsibly if you're no longer using it so please contact us for further information about disposing of your additional equipment.

Milambar
23-04-2012, 22:09
I must admit, when I was forced to upgrade to the superhub, when I went from 20mbit to 30mbit, the superhub arrived, but no return label for the 256 modem I had was sent.

The advice I was given on here at the time was to just dispose of it. It was only recently that I actually hit it with a hammer, and disposed of it, for over a year that 256 still sat in a "spares box", in case they ever decided to demand it back.

This is the first time that I have ever heard of them actually asking for a modem back. Superhubs - sure, but the first time for a modem.

thenry
23-04-2012, 22:24
good practice.. it should of been happening years ago to avoid the amount of misuse.

Sephiroth
23-04-2012, 22:36
This is the first time that I have ever heard of them actually asking for a modem back. Superhubs - sure, but the first time for a modem.

They need the now unobtainable VMNG300 modems as a last resort for persistent customers.

babis3g
24-04-2012, 00:18
I note people saying to ignore the letter, etc. I would be very wary about following that advice, as they could just debit the £150 via direct debit, and then you'd have a fight on your hands to get it back.

with respect .... is me advised to ignore the letter until they will come back to him...what is wrong with that....if you worry that is you
eveyone is different...i dont think they will do nothing with out warning so he dont have to worry till then, is a customer

at VM forums few users still use it with the 100mb package

only him got the letter? ... and if only him got the letters why/?? did he done anything???
however at the end maybe is worth it a fight to get the 150 back if they will charge him and if they will charge him they should send him note about it

every one saying (of course which is welcome) his own opinion....maybe some one will say to ask and a solicitor :cool:

i got the most jitter from my SH even in modem mode
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33687121-modem-mode.html

flashyphotos
24-04-2012, 12:11
OK Guys,

Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions it is appreciated.

I have decided that as I dont want to risk the wrath of VM and as I dont use wireless I am going to risk using the SH in Modem Mode and see what happens

I will send the VMG300 back as requested, and hopefully it may go to someone else that requests one from Virgin

Initial tests of the SH seem OK, with Pings/Speed/Jitter in line with what I was getting from the VMG300 (Luckily I live in an Old Foggey infested area so never have any congestion issues :p:)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/25.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/61543200.png

Will let you know how it goes!!

Sephiroth
24-04-2012, 12:21
......I live in an Old Foggey infested area so never have any congestion issues

I resemble that remark!

flashyphotos
24-04-2012, 12:36
I resemble that remark!

Well I am 50 in a couple of months, but but most of the OFs round here are 70++++

Sephiroth
24-04-2012, 12:41
.... but most of the OFs round here are 70++++
I don't resemble that one yet!