PDA

View Full Version : Installation - will they dig the garden up?

jreynolds
23-04-2012, 00:22
Hi there,

I'm getting Virgin TV, broadband and phone installed this week. I stay in a cottage flat where the back garden is mine but not the front (where the road/cable is).

There is a stairway up to the house where I hope the cable can go otherwise I'll need to get permission from the neighbours below me to let Virgin dig in their garden. I'd really rather avoid this if possible!

I phoned Virgin and the woman said the engineer would talk to me when he came out but it could be a waste of time if he needs permission from my neighbour to dig.

Can anyone advise what is likely to happen?

Many thanks for your help!

judgey
23-04-2012, 19:31
ok yes the Engineers will discuss with you the best way to get the cable from the path to your wall, if they have to go over someone elses property to get to yours then yes they will need permission from the owners.

jb66
23-04-2012, 20:56
have a look at the edge of your property for a little hole/flap, the cable comes fromthere and needs to be routed to your flat. why not ask your neighbour anyway to see if they are ok with that

jreynolds
23-04-2012, 23:15
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. It would probably be the quickest thing to ask my neighbours if I can come through their garden (just in case it's required) but I'd really rather avoid that if possible because I doubt they'll be keen on their grass being dug up!

I might just wait until my installation and ask the engineer if they can route the cable up the side of the communal stairway instead. Do you happen to know if it's possible to have the cable above ground or if it really needs to be underground?

I'm not at home tonight but will definitely check for a little/flap like you suggest jb66. Thanks again!

jb66
23-04-2012, 23:28
They get done overground when there is monoblock driveways etc, tacked along fences

jreynolds
23-04-2012, 23:50
Thanks for that info, it's very good to know that it's at least possible to have it done above ground. I'll wait and see what the engineer says on Thursday.

Cheers!