PDA

View Full Version : 100M South-West London Issues

Ignitionnet
22-04-2012, 09:50
Although the service status page says all is fine the support phone line informs that SM4 and TW1 are having broadband outage.

STB is fine, connected as per to the Cisco kit so have to assume the issue is with something at the head end either at or in between the Motorola kit and me.

If the issue is affecting everything in between SM4 and TW1 that's ouchy, that's a big area.

I would have more info but I don't want to spend 3 hours rebooting random things for the Bangalore Allstars before they admit the issue is theirs.

It seems an ongoing theme with me, reliability issues with VM. If it were all confined to one area you could put it down to a bad area but across 4 premises and all 3 of the networks - Langley, Bromley, Knowsley - you have to wonder.

thenry
23-04-2012, 11:26
Crawley went down for a good few hours yesterday around the same time (just after 7pm to around 2:30am)

The fault did appear on the automated CS thing at 9pm. Offshore wanted to log into my SH :dunce: until I clearly said it was an area fault... 5mins on hold and the guy said 2pm today for a fix. He then said he would credit my account, lovely but didnt mention the tech visit :dozey: tech just left 2second visit, he said the fault was pinpointed and I may have a disconnection or 2 before its properly fixed. Anyway nice to see loads of customers get refused techs for power level issues etc. when theres an area fault but I get one booked and not even told about it :tu:

qasdfdsaq
23-04-2012, 12:25
Virgin Media? Reliability issues? Shock horror.

Reliability was one of the many reasons I left VM for another provider with a lower speed but more consistent service.

Though for your problem Carl, sounds more like a local IP routing issue than cable if it's affecting all DOCSIS platforms and disparate geographic areas and not TV.

thenry
23-04-2012, 13:42
TV was down too qas. not sure about Ignitions area though

Sephiroth
23-04-2012, 14:10
Could be some common cause/event thing - like anti-DoS measures having to be taken.

thenry
23-04-2012, 17:54
i was expecting some mass upgrade :(

oh well cloners must of thought it was the end of the world... 2012 they said, didnt you watch the film! :shocked:

ccarmock
24-04-2012, 23:35
I'm in SM4 and didn't have an outage on the 22nd. This is the VM business 50 Mb/s service with fixed IP subnet option.

I have, however been suffering an ongoing intermittent drop in SNR in SM4 Sometimes this will be detected by VMB but not enough to cause loss of service and other times it will badly impact service. Due to being onthe beta trial of the new Superhub business firmware they are keeping a close eye on it for me.

thenry
27-04-2012, 17:21
I think I've had a few more outages last night and this morning, I'm not entirely sure though lol see my ping monitor below. anyone in Crawley get disconnected?

jempalmer
27-04-2012, 17:38
Last night around 1.00am. Rebooted SH and was OK. Went to bed then and still fine when I got up this morning. No problem all day. TV was not affected at all.

thenry
27-04-2012, 17:41
great what the hell happened to my connection. outage for me, just before 1am to around 2:45am. then between 4am and 5am.. then again!! just before 6am to around 12:30pm

:confused:

craigj2k12
27-04-2012, 18:51
great what the hell happened to my connection.

thats probably cloners

thenry
27-04-2012, 18:54
:fit:

ccarmock
27-04-2012, 22:15
A lot more low SNR issues today in SM4. They are sending an engineer around tonight to take a look.

Ignitionnet
28-04-2012, 12:29
Virgin Media? Reliability issues? Shock horror.

Reliability was one of the many reasons I left VM for another provider with a lower speed but more consistent service.

Though for your problem Carl, sounds more like a local IP routing issue than cable if it's affecting all DOCSIS platforms and disparate geographic areas and not TV.

Suspect a problem at headend or on line card / CMTS as Superhub was able to lock to legacy network fine.

ccarmock
28-04-2012, 12:36
I am seeing similar in SM4 - SNR drops liek a stone and sync is lost after severe attempts to resync, it will sometimes come up on a single channel as opposed to the usual 4 downstreams. I am assuming this means the legacy network - though the channel is a 50 Mb/s channel.....

ccarmock
29-04-2012, 18:32
Well engineer turned up today to look at the low SNR issue, unfortunately when I was out. He removed the 15 dB Forward path attenuator and replaced it with a 6 dB attenuator - not an FPA note. The Super hub had been in sync before (typical - no fault when he's here) left a message to say power levels were out of spec and went. Previously power levels were 0.1, 0.1, 0.3 and 0.2 down and 43.5 up. They are now 10.1, 11.4, 12.2, 10.3 and upstream is 50. So basicaly they are now OUT of spec but he's happy and on his way. Speed is down from about 47 Mb/s to 36 Mb/s as a result. If I put back my original 15 dB FPA speed it back up to normal again.

This is a Virgin Media business enginner. Do many of them actually have a clue? Aparently no work has been done to look in the cabinets to see if there is a faulty line card etc.

Sephiroth
29-04-2012, 21:17
Write to the CEO's office. That is bang out of order.

thenry
29-04-2012, 21:24
some of them havent a clue. i thought it was costs stopping attenuators being put on.

Masque told me agent should know what a faceplate is etc. all of which is covered in training yet many dont have a clue which makes me wonder what proper practice means in VMs world or are these techs falling asleep only taking note of how to link up equipment?

ccarmock
29-04-2012, 21:41
Needles to say I've taken his attenuator off and put the 15 dB FPA one back on. Power levels are back in spec and speed is back to normal.

The issue here is SNR dropping which they have already told me is network related.

So I just need to wait for it to drop again and call back