PDA

View Full Version : Picture quality

jimcraiguk
18-04-2012, 22:12
Hi All, I came across the site looking for help cabling up our little V+ box with a Panasonic DVD recorder and a Bush L319 LED 19" TV(and thanks to jtaylor06) for his brilliant instructions, including pics.

I've connected the TV to the V+ box using a HDMI cable. The picture quality is (I feel) pretty poor. I watch a fair bit of football and there is a distortion around the player agains the green of the pitch. Any graphics that appear on screen seem poor quality, and there is sometimes a bit of what looks like pixelation happening.

I did buy a cheap HDMI cable. Is it most likely this? Or the signal from VM? We are having on-going problems with our TV service. We've been without catchup for a couple of months now. The cable has a 6 dB attenuator fitted at the point it joins the V+ box. The cable itself is also (temporarily) bent around a corner which I guess might not help.

I'm going to change the HDMI and straighten the cable. If there is no improvement can you suggest anything else to check or try? I'll also get back on to VM to ask if they can fix the catch up service.

Thanks in advance and (this is my first post) so hopefully in the right forum? Apologies if not and can you steer me to the right home? Cheers - Jim

oliver1948uk
18-04-2012, 22:39
Assuming there is not a fault with the TV and that you experimented with picture adjustments, you should get an excellent picture with V+ using HDMI. The fact that you have problems with On Demand suggests your signal is not what it should be. Any cable (providing it is not defective) should produce a good picture. Is it possible to try the box with a different TV? If the picture is no better I think a call to VM is required.

jimcraiguk
18-04-2012, 23:10
Thanks Oliver, we do have another TV but I think it's SCART and aerial only. I'll try it out and thanks for the point about getting on to VM again. Best wishes - Jim

nodrogd
20-04-2012, 10:14
Hi All, I came across the site looking for help cabling up our little V+ box with a Panasonic DVD recorder and a Bush L319 LED 19" TV(and thanks to jtaylor06) for his brilliant instructions, including pics.

I've connected the TV to the V+ box using a HDMI cable. The picture quality is (I feel) pretty poor. I watch a fair bit of football and there is a distortion around the player agains the green of the pitch. Any graphics that appear on screen seem poor quality, and there is sometimes a bit of what looks like pixelation happening.

I did buy a cheap HDMI cable. Is it most likely this? Or the signal from VM? We are having on-going problems with our TV service. We've been without catchup for a couple of months now. The cable has a 6 dB attenuator fitted at the point it joins the V+ box. The cable itself is also (temporarily) bent around a corner which I guess might not help.

I'm going to change the HDMI and straighten the cable. If there is no improvement can you suggest anything else to check or try? I'll also get back on to VM to ask if they can fix the catch up service.

Thanks in advance and (this is my first post) so hopefully in the right forum? Apologies if not and can you steer me to the right home? Cheers - Jim

Just to make sure. Have you actually switched the V+ to the HiDef HDMI setting, as the box will output to HDMI without this being set, but only at SD resolution. If you have set this, have you tried both the 720p and 1080i settings for HD output?

jimcraiguk
20-04-2012, 16:35
Thanks nodrogd, I've tried HDMI at 720 and 1080 and there is no perceptible change in quality. Cheers - Jim