PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Cable Modems - Easy to Set Up?

muddly001
17-04-2012, 22:08
Hi

My Apple Time Capsule which was plugged into my Virgin Modem has packed up. I am thinking of getting my own third party Wifi Cable modem, but I am wondering how easy it is to set up the modem onto the cable feed.

Does any one have a step by step guide or point me to a post that has already covered. I think that when they guy set us up, the browser went to a Virgin screen and I tapped in my account, area and our pin and that was it!

Thanks in advance.

deathtrap3000
17-04-2012, 22:10
You can only use virgin provided modems. Third party ones wont work.
or are you talking about routers?

Daveoc64
18-04-2012, 00:40
You can only use virgin provided modems. Third party ones wont work.

Indeed.

While there are cable modems on the market, they're aimed at countries where you can use your own equipment.

Virgin Media only allows their own equipment to be used on their own network.

Trying to use other equipment on the network is illegal.

Milambar
18-04-2012, 01:25
Trying to use other equipment on the network is illegal.

When did they pass that law?

While using 3rd party equipment is against Virgin Media's terms of service, its most definatly not "illegal". For something to be "illegal", it would have to be contary to statute law, ie, a criminal offence.

It could be argued that it is contary to contractual law, but I would state, contractual law is a civil issue, and so, still not "illegal".

hjf288
18-04-2012, 01:26
If you don't have experience with soldering and electronics, I'd say it would be quite hard not to mention you would breach the terms of service...

Peter_
18-04-2012, 08:32
When did they pass that law?

While using 3rd party equipment is against Virgin Media's terms of service, its most definatly not "illegal". For something to be "illegal", it would have to be contary to statute law, ie, a criminal offence.

It could be argued that it is contary to contractual law, but I would state, contractual law is a civil issue, and so, still not "illegal".
If you use a 3rd party modem and attempt to put it on the network then you are in breach of the terms and conditions that you signed and therefore acting illegally at which point they can remove all services and if warranted take you to court.

Apart from that the OP did actually talk about an Apple Time Capsule not a modem so you should all dismount from that high horse before you fall off.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/8.gif

Hi

My Apple Time Capsule which was plugged into my Virgin Modem has packed up. I am thinking of getting my own third party Wifi Cable modem, but I am wondering how easy it is to set up the modem onto the cable feed.

Does any one have a step by step guide or point me to a post that has already covered. I think that when they guy set us up, the browser went to a Virgin screen and I tapped in my account, area and our pin and that was it!

Thanks in advance.

You would be better off recommending a replacement router.

hjf288
18-04-2012, 11:26
If you use a 3rd party modem and attempt to put it on the network then you are in breach of the terms and conditions that you signed and therefore acting illegally at which point they can remove all services and if warranted take you to court.

Apart from that the OP did actually talk about an Apple Time Capsule not a modem so you should all dismount from that high horse before you fall off.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/04/8.gif

You would be better off recommending a replacement router.

I am thinking of getting my own third party Wifi Cable modem, but I am wondering how easy it is to set up the modem onto the cable feed.

Who should get off their high horse? Sounds like he wants his own Integrated Access Device or he used a poor choice of words to describe a new router

MovedGoalPosts
18-04-2012, 12:31
Please remember that not everyone understands naming descriptions for IT stuff.

For the benefit of the OP and others:

The modem is the device connected direct to the internet service. Keeping things simple it provides the authentication of the customer's service with the internet service provider (ISP) i.e. Virgin Media), and allows data to enter or leave the ISP's network. A modem can normally only communicate with a single customer device, i.e. one computer.

A router is a device that will create a network for the customer (there are also routing devices all around ISPs and the internet, but we can ignore those for now). The router will sit between a modem and the various computers or other internet enabled devices (smart TV's, games consoles), of the customer. A router acts as an intelligent junction box in the customer's house allowing data to be sent between the customer's own devices, and also allowing devices to receive or send stuff from the internet. The modem will only see the router as it's single connected device. It is the router that enables the multiple device connections. Routers can be wired only (for ethernet lead connections) or can also be wireless enabled. Alternatively you might choose to place a wireless access point on one of the wired connections to the router to achieve a similar result.

On a Virgin Media network, only the modem provided by Virgin Media as part of the customer subscription, can be used. Customers cannot use their own modem as that is against the terms of use of their contract with VM. Chances are it could not be configured to work and Cable Forum would not assist anyone trying to do this.

The Superhub used by Virgin Media is a combined modem and wireless enabled router. The router functions of the Superhub can in many cases be disabled leaving the hub in modem only mode so customers can provide their own router.

In most cases, on adsl type internet services (BT phone based), customers can provide their own modem device. In many cases the ADSL providers are also offering their equivalent of the superhub.

If you wish to provide your own routing device, to replace the wireless functions of your Apple Time Capsule, then simply power down the modem (if a superhub change it to modem only mode, and power down) connect your chosen router's WAN (internet) side wired port to the modem (or superhub) LAN port, using an ethernet cable, power up the modem and then router. The configuration stuff of the internet connection should have taken place automagically leaving you to then configure your chosen wireless on your new roouter.

Chrysalis
18-04-2012, 13:23
Illegal is maybe too strong a term, you wouldnt be breaking the law setting one up but you would be breaking VM's TOS connecting it to a live VM service and then risk getting cutoff. It also wouldnt work as VM lockout any non whitelisted modems.

Peter_
18-04-2012, 23:34
Who should get off their high horse? Sounds like he wants his own Integrated Access Device or he used a poor choice of words to describe a new router
Do read the first post and think again about this post as you should see the funny side of it.http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons04220.gif

muddly001
19-04-2012, 09:43
All

And rest, easy guys, didn't realise that such an innocent question would lead to a discussion on the term illegal! Thank you to Rob for the very concise explanation. The fault is probably my terminology, but as others have correctly identified, what I was hoping to do is to have one unit performing three functions, modem, router and WiFi. It looks like I'll ether use another Time Capsule, or Apples Wifi router and plug in a hard drive.

Thanks again.

MovedGoalPosts
19-04-2012, 10:30
I'm not sure what broadband package you are on, but if you for a combined modem, router and wifi unit, check with Virgin Media if they will provide you with their Superhub. Most residential services will be needing that in any case to take advantage of the doubled speed packages being rolled out. With a Superhub you'll then be able to attache any network hard drive system you like.

I must admit having looked at the specs the time capsule seemed to be a nice bit of kit.

Stuart
19-04-2012, 10:50
I must admit having looked at the specs the time capsule seemed to be a nice bit of kit.

I had a 1st Gen Time Capsule with 512 Gig drive. At the time, it was actually the cheapest way to get a proper Draft N class router and NAS..

Sadly, after a couple of years, it died. It was out of warranty, and I couldn't afford another. Bought out my old linksys and bought a cheap NAS.

Then, Apple issued a recall for my model of Time Capsule and mine was one of the affected units. So, I made an appointment at the Apple Store, went trotting off to the Store, TC in hand. Got a new one. Got all excited on the way home thinking I had a new TC, only to find I had another first generation one.

Still doing sterling service though.

AndyCalling
19-04-2012, 20:36
Just to clear up the terms here...

To be illegal something must constitute a breach of criminal law. This would only be true in this case if we were talking about using a hacked modem to access services without paying, which we are not. This is a matter of company rules and contracts which is civil law.

Please think twice before accusing someone of being a criminal (or planning criminal activity) in writing and in public. Such is actionable.

You could use the term 'illicit' fine. Technically you could also use the term 'unlawful', but I suggest you don't as it could be misleading since many people will not understand this term does not imply a breach of criminal law.

I hope that helps with future discussions on this forum.

Peter_
19-04-2012, 22:49
Just to clear up the terms here...

To be illegal something must constitute a breach of criminal law. This would only be true in this case if we were talking about using a hacked modem to access services without paying, which we are not. This is a matter of company rules and contracts which is civil law.

Please think twice before accusing someone of being a criminal (or planning criminal activity) in writing and in public. Such is actionable.

You could use the term 'illicit' fine. Technically you could also use the term 'unlawful', but I suggest you don't as it could be misleading since many people will not understand this term does not imply a breach of criminal law.

I hope that helps with future discussions on this forum.
I said acting illegally as that would imply gaining services through criminal means such as a third party device connecting to the Virgin Media network, that is not illicit as it is not contraband, the use of a third party device to gain free services is theft which is a criminal act.

ferretuk
19-04-2012, 23:42
I said acting illegally as that would imply gaining services through criminal means such as a third party device connecting to the Virgin Media network, that is not illicit as it is not contraband, the use of a third party device to gain free services is theft which is a criminal act.

Confucious say "When in hole - Stop digging" ;)

Peter_
20-04-2012, 07:31
Confucious say "When in hole - Stop digging" ;)
Maybe you should take the time to reread my posts and you may then be able to pin the tail on the donkey, its behind you.;)

Chris
20-04-2012, 09:49

And as the OP is clearly a VM customer, not trying to get services for free but simply asking if he can use his own equipment to receive the service he is paying for, your point is irrelevant. You would do well to take your own advice and re-read the thread. Nothing you have posted here has been in any way helpful. Rather you seem to be getting off on occupying some sort of imaginary moral high ground.

DaMac
22-04-2012, 17:32
Please remember that not everyone understands naming descriptions for IT stuff.

For the benefit of the OP and others:

What DOES OP mean :confused:
;)

Chris
22-04-2012, 17:55
It can mean either Original Post (the first post in the thread) or Original Poster (the person who opened the thread and made the first post).