PDA

View Full Version : Virgin HD Box to Dell 24inch Monitor

beckyblondon83
04-04-2012, 00:01
I have just ordered and had delivered and "installed" a second Virgin HD (Cisco) box in my bedroom with the intention to connect it to a 24inch Dell Monitor (Dell E248WFP 1080p). The cables only arrived after the installers left so I assumed I would be able to connect it up.

I bought a HDMI to DVI cable and RCA to 3.5mm Audio Jack.

I've just realised that there isn't RCA Audio out on the box, but that worries me less than the fact that I can't get any picture on my monitor. Unlike other posters I don't have the menu and navigation only I have nothing.

My monitor is supposedly HDCP supported and I know the cable is working because I tested it on my PC and the box is working because I have connected it to my main pc by both Scart and HDMI. I have followed all the usual instructions including changing the settings whilst plugged into my main TV with Scart but to no avail.

Please help me

I have just agreed to a new contract on the basis of a second box and having read extensively beforehand and really don't want to waste 12 months of subscription.

spiderplant
04-04-2012, 08:47
Have you tried testing the monitor to your other Virgin box? I've tried to find the specs for the monitor, but can't find definitively whether it supports HDCP. I'm not sure whether the V-HD blanks the video only or the menus too if there is no HDCP.

Also try both 720p and 1080i settings on the V-HD.

ps. Welcome to the forum!

beckyblondon83
04-04-2012, 12:43
I haven't, I will try it when I get home.

Tech specs are here, it does suggest it is HDCP compliant.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/popupproductdetail.aspx?sku=320-6095&?~lt=popup&c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22

Someone else mentioned it might be the refresh rate that's different. I'm not sure what impact that has, or if anything else can be done.

Thanks for the welcome :)

nodrogd
20-04-2012, 23:24
If scan rates for the VHD and the monitor don't match you will normally get a message like "Video not supported" or "out of range".

beckyblondon83
20-04-2012, 23:37
It turned out to be the refresh rate, so I've sold the monitor on Ebay :)

Thanks for all the help...