PDA

View Full Version : Superhub new superhub, couple of queries

JadeFalcon
03-04-2012, 00:56
enjoying the 60MB superhub sofar... but couple of things that i've found with it that either need fixing or adding to it :)

1. needs an easy wifi off function on the box like the old hub, maybe firmware can be changed slightly to allow the virgin button to also act as a wifi switch on/off in some way ? maybe giving us an option to turn off the WPS that would also change the function of the button ?

2. having problems changing its gateway ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254
when i change its LAN IP address to 254 and the starting ip address from 2 to 1 and the ending ip address from 254 to 253.. the gateway address changes to 254 but the starting ip resets from 1 to 2.. which i dont want :D i want the router as 254 and all devices i add to start from 1 ?!? am i doing something wrong

3. DHCP reservation list.. its a pain in the ass... no easy option of a radio button add, have to manually type the mac addresses of each device i want to reserve an ip address for, i.e Gaming PC / HTPC / 2 mobile devices.... this also results in a full automatic modem reboot every time i add or remove one from the list.. add 4 devices ? it auto resets 4 times in a row

4. an option to change the stay logged into admin panel time, as i find if i'm changing something and have to go look at a pc in the other room, by the time i come back i have to re-enter the login details.. i know i could use browsers remember password function, but i'm kinda security conscious

5. a limit bandwith by ip/mac function would be great

thanks in advance for any replies with regards to help and wether any of these kind on functions will be forthcoming :D

craigj2k12
03-04-2012, 01:09
enjoying the 60MB superhub sofar... but couple of things that i've found with it that either need fixing or adding to it :)

1. needs an easy wifi off function on the box like the old hub, maybe firmware can be changed slightly to allow the virgin button to also act as a wifi switch on/off in some way ? maybe giving us an option to turn off the WPS that would also change the function of the button ?

They arent going to change something like that, they would have to give additional training to call centre staff, engineers, change their help docs, etc, etc, its not going to happen ;)

2. having problems changing its gateway ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254
when i change its LAN IP address to 254 and the starting ip address from 2 to 1 and the ending ip address from 254 to 253.. the gateway address changes to 254 but the starting ip resets from 1 to 2.. which i dont want :D i want the router as 254 and all devices i add to start from 1 ?!? am i doing something wrong

Dont think thats possible, I know its a PITA trying to change the subnet, but I dont think you change change the routers IP (not sure on that one though)

Cant see why you need to change it though?

3. DHCP reservation list.. its a pain in the ass... no easy option of a radio button add, have to manually type the mac addresses of each device i want to reserve an ip address for, i.e Gaming PC / HTPC / 2 mobile devices.... this also results in a full automatic modem reboot every time i add or remove one from the list.. add 4 devices ? it auto resets 4 times in a row

welcome to the wonderful world of the superhub :D

4. an option to change the stay logged into admin panel time, as i find if i'm changing something and have to go look at a pc in the other room, by the time i come back i have to re-enter the login details.. i know i could use browsers remember password function, but i'm kinda security conscious

The timeout is ridiculously low I know, I mentioned it when I was on the original beta testing programme, I think they increased it by a couple of minutes (from 2 to 4 or something)

5. a limit bandwith by ip/mac function would be great

The Superhub struggles to cope with the most basic of router functions, I think any kind of QoS would either kill the hub, or the programmers at netgear, who are hopeless and probably wouldnt have a clue where to start

thanks in advance for any replies with regards to help and wether any of these kind on functions will be forthcoming :D

Yeah sorry to go on about how bad the superhub is, but it just is. If you want any of the functionality you have mentioned above, your best off getting your own router and sticking the superhub into modem mode ;)

JadeFalcon
03-04-2012, 01:15
not trying to change the subnet mask just the ip of the router to 254 like i had with my old vmdg280. i like the router at the end of the range and not the start that way all my connected devices start from 1, the the default gateway would be 254 instead. the options are there to let me do it... but it resets the available ip range from 192.168.0.1 to .2 thats AFTER i've freed up the .1 range there would be no point in me changing the gateway to 254 if i still have to start my ip range at .2

craigj2k12
03-04-2012, 01:18
yeah i understand what you mean, I was saying I had troubles changing the subnet, and it was exactly the same thing as whats happening to you, it just refused to change

I still cant see why you want to change it, its fine at 1?

JadeFalcon
03-04-2012, 01:30
yeah its fine at 1 but would like it at the end of the range, i'm just weird. can put up with it... was just thinking i could stuck the superhub into modem and piggyback the old 280 onto it and hook into that as it was setup how i like it and it has the easy wifi toggle.. till i can afford a router that does what i need and more, flashable firmware is a must ;)

craigj2k12
03-04-2012, 01:31
you can pick up a dlink DIR615 for less than a tenner on ebay, that should do the trick