PDA

View Full Version : 50M No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

foddy
01-04-2012, 21:35
Over the last few weeks (months?), I've been having awful trouble with performance. Normally, I get 50Mbps without problem, but sometimes (and more frequently) it all goes to pot - massive packet loss.

In the cable modem logs, at the start of the problems:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Usually, it fixes itself after about half an hour. Sometimes it results in no connection at all, and a firewall reboot fixes it.

I've called VM about it in the past, and it's always seemed OK at the time. I don't know if it's a problem with my modem, the area (St Albans) or something else.

My wife wants me to jump ship to BT Infinity, but I'd rather have VM if it works... there's also the 100Mbps upgrade due soon - but that could make things better OR worse.

It's a VMNG300 mode. Signal levels all look pretty good.

Any suggestions?

ccarmock
01-04-2012, 21:46
I had a similar thing happen to me - do you have a superhub? if so does the blue light which is normally flashing go steady when you have poor performance?

In my case it was an intermittent problem which caused the SNR to plummet at times, this corresponded with the blue light staying on solid as opposed to flashing.

General Maximus
02-04-2012, 08:25
I get T3 timeouts every now and now again, I think it is something to do with too much noise on the network. Whatever you do dont let VM tell you the modem is faulty and swap it over with the shub. The shub doesnt even display your T3 and T4 timeouts so you dont have a clue what is going on.

foddy
19-04-2012, 19:14
All the lights look normal, I just get massive packet loss. I think the T3 timeouts (on the upstream) are a result of the problems, rather than the cause. It seems to be worst early evening, but can happen at any time. I suspect it's capacity-related.

Anyway, it's been too wife-unfriendly, I'm afraid. BT Infinity ordered - wish me luck!

General Maximus
19-04-2012, 22:03
if you think you have got it bad look at this :)

DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Correctable Codewords 2438 2165 2242 2131
Uncorrectable Codewords 36723 38581 38493 35012

I am not complaining though because I havent suffered any performance loss at all.