PDA

View Full Version : Actiontec wifi router not seen by pc - ex-NTL Southampton

richard webster
31-03-2012, 18:19
Not sure whether this is in right area of forum.

Have Windows 7 64 bit Pc with Virgin media broadband. Was NTL and have Actiontec Wireless Router which until recently has been working fine but for about a week it hasn't worked - it and the cable modem have bene turned off and on loads of times in different orders and it seems to make no difference. Cable modem does work because I have succesffully connected a laptop direct to it by passing the router.

The wireless card in the PC seems to work because it detects wifi from neighbours.

I see the Actiontec website has a US support line which is not very hlpeful for us!

Anyone got any ideas what I should do or is it going to be less hassle to simply buy a new router? If so what would be recommended?

General Maximus
31-03-2012, 19:27
1) Have you tried using the wi-fi on the laptop to connect to the router?
2) Have you tried directly connecting (wired) the laptop to the router (assuming that the pc isnt in the same room)

You need to work out whether it is the router that has had it or the NIC in the pc. If you do need a new router I strongly recommend Linksys routers, I have been using them for the last 10 years, never had a single problem with any of them and they have performed brilliantly.