PDA

View Full Version : Modem stopped working

m419
27-03-2012, 00:38
A few days ago, my internet went all funny and certain websites that I went on kept taking me to the Virgin Broadband activation page and kept trying to reboot my superhub.

Now the internet doesn't work at all and the upload/download light on the modem is just flickering.

I've rebooted it and reset it so many times and then called technical support who are sending out a technician, however, is there a way of resolving this without the need of a visit?

The person on the phone said his system was down and didn't really take much notice of what I was saying and then told me to reboot it once again, it didn't work, and then booked a technician for tomorow.

I really don't want them to come out for something that can be easily fixed by myself!

thenry
27-03-2012, 03:22
sounds a bit dodgy, let the tech come out to you. Ask him to double check your power levels before he leaves.

Peter_
27-03-2012, 06:43
That issue should have been resolved by 2nd line while on the phone but considering that the Albert Dock 2nd line are now all but gone and their replacements are well below par this kind of thing will happen much more often as technicians are sent out to fix issues that they are unable to fix.

It is very likely that any replacement device could end up in exactly the same situation as your existing device.

As of this Friday you will be left with just the Swansea 1st line and 2nd line so everyone should expect the service levels to drop, you think that support has gotten worse you have seen nothing yet.:rolleyes::erm:;)

m419
27-03-2012, 10:12
Thankyou

Actually it was an offshore call centre because I rang around 10pm. Someone is coming out today anyway.

Peter_
27-03-2012, 18:54
Thankyou

Actually it was an offshore call centre because I rang around 10pm. Someone is coming out today anyway.
It should have been resolved while on the call not by sending an engineer out to replace the modem, seen enough of them in my time.

thenry
27-03-2012, 19:13
whats gone wrong here?

Peter_
27-03-2012, 19:45
whats gone wrong here?
It will be a provisioning issue which can be resolved on a call either by the agent or 2nd line, a tech is a waste of resources.

m419
28-03-2012, 20:12
It will be a provisioning issue which can be resolved on a call either by the agent or 2nd line, a tech is a waste of resources.

Well i'm really annoyed, nobody turned up and I learn they have charged me £10 for 'no one home' when I was in all day, didn't even go to the shops, bought cigarettes in advance for the occasion and everything so there was no excuse to go out haha

I'm gonna call them for the third time.

Provisioning for what reason? My broadband was installed as part of a home move installation but with a new modem in June 2011. I really don't understand what went wrong here.

I'm using a neighbours Virgin Media wifi connection at the moment and is working fine so it is not a local issue.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

sounds a bit dodgy, let the tech come out to you. Ask him to double check your power levels before he leaves.

Power levels? I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to Broadband, do you mean the level of power in the CATV coax wire coming into the property? As it is serving a Tivo box,V HD box in another room and obviously my Virgin Broadband netgear hub. Or do you mean the dodgy electrics in my house?

Sorry if it's a stupid question

thenry
28-03-2012, 20:19
Peter could you explain provisioning please.

yeah power coming through the VM cable.

on in an hour!
28-03-2012, 20:26
you need to question the '£10 nobody in charge' as this was dropped some months ago due to the negative affect on the NPS responses ;)

when a new device is connected to the network and needs releasing from the 'walled garden', (which is where new devices get directed to) they need to be verified and 'provisioned',sounds like an account problem and your device reverted to 'new device' status,as has been said before a call can resolve this issue,no need for a tech visit!

Peter_
28-03-2012, 20:39
Well i'm really annoyed, nobody turned up and I learn they have charged me £10 for 'no one home' when I was in all day, didn't even go to the shops, bought cigarettes in advance for the occasion and everything so there was no excuse to go out haha

The is no such thing as a £10 charge as it was dropped in December 2011 and the post above explains provisioning.

thenry
28-03-2012, 20:53
and this happens often? whats the cause?

m419
28-03-2012, 21:01
The is no such thing as a £10 charge as it was dropped in December 2011 and the post above explains provisioning.

So why did they tell me i've been charged £10!

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

you need to question the '£10 nobody in charge' as this was dropped some months ago due to the negative affect on the NPS responses ;)

when a new device is connected to the network and needs releasing from the 'walled garden', (which is where new devices get directed to) they need to be verified and 'provisioned',sounds like an account problem and your device reverted to 'new device' status,as has been said before a call can resolve this issue,no need for a tech visit!

Thanks, finally some common sense!

thenry
28-03-2012, 21:08
speak to 'thinking of leaving' tomorrow during the day

m419
28-03-2012, 21:19
speak to 'thinking of leaving' tomorrow during the day

Ok thanks

Peter_
28-03-2012, 21:27
So why did they tell me i've been charged £10!

Because they are thick.:erm:

Skie
28-03-2012, 22:12
and this happens often? whats the cause?

VM run scripts every so often which look for devices registered to accounts that they shouldn't be. It could be that it was entered incorrectly when the account was set up and a regular security sweep has flagged and removed it.

There are probably other ways it can happen, but this seems like a sensible one if it just suddenly stopped working with no other work being done on an account. And something that happened to me, too :p I got it solved over the phone pretty quickly though.

thenry
28-03-2012, 22:14
oh. better to be safe than sorry :D

m419
29-03-2012, 02:38
Well I called back tonight and spoke to someone in india, they were actually quite helpful and thorough and went through it properly and mentioned most of the things you all mentioned such as power level checks, someone still has to come out as they tried everything, in fact we was on the phone for half an hour trying all different things and nothing seems to work. Possibly the modem needs replacing.

---------- Post added at 02:38 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ---------

Peter_
29-03-2012, 06:37
Well I called back tonight and spoke to someone in india, they were actually quite helpful and thorough and went through it properly and mentioned most of the things you all mentioned such as power level checks, someone still has to come out as they tried everything, in fact we was on the phone for half an hour trying all different things and nothing seems to work. Possibly the modem needs replacing.

---------- Post added at 02:38 ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 ---------
The modem should not need replacing if the call centre staff actually did their job properly and it might still be an issue even with a new modem.

Well it just goes to show that by making many experienced staff redundant you end up with issues like this one and this will not be a one off or the last.

Mick Fisher
29-03-2012, 18:16
When India get to the end of their script and are still flummoxed they send you a new modem and as far as they are concerned it's "end of".

When you get your new modem and find nothing changes your only hope is retentions as India will just say they can't help you any further and hang up the phone.

Skie
29-03-2012, 21:18
Actually a new modem will "fix" the problem as you'll have to phone the activations line to get it activated. Which is all you need to do with the current one really.

Peter_
29-03-2012, 22:13
Actually a new modem will "fix" the problem as you'll have to phone the activations line to get it activated. Which is all you need to do with the current one really.
The should be no need to replace the modem as that is not the fault, so actually replacing the modem will not fix the issue.;)