PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub Issues

jono_h
24-03-2012, 11:27
I could really do with some help with my Superhub. Connected and activated this morning without any issues, and wireless connection works*

However I can't get a wired connection for my PC. Explorer gives the message 'Cannot connect to internet' and I have an IP address of 169.254.xxx.xx.
Tech support say it's nothing to do with the hub, and I need a new network card or driver (which is difficult with no connection), although a quick google suggests it might be a SH problem.

As it happens the power supply is whistling so I've asked for a new hub, but is there anything I can try to get a wired connection in the meantime?

Thanks, Jon.

*apart from the fact that you have to forget the connection and find it again every time the hub is turned off.

thenry
24-03-2012, 12:19
might be your computer, might be the SH. try restoring your computer back to a date when it was working.

erik29
24-03-2012, 13:14
Your ethernet card has not been assigned an IP address by the hub, hence it is trying with the 169.254 range which is for auto configuration.

I take it you've tried all four wired ports? Do you get any lights on a port when you connect your PC? Looks like it should be amber for 100mbps.
Was that ethernet card working previously with another device? Have you got another device you can test it with?

qasdfdsaq
24-03-2012, 14:03
Try resetting the Superhub. If that doesn't work, it's faulty and you need to wait for a replacement.

This has happened to other people before.

jono_h
24-03-2012, 14:12
Thanks for the replies, after a few hours I've got it sorted.

I managed to prove the wired connection worked by borrowing a laptop and plugging it in to the SH. All was OK.
An update of the network drivers didn't help, so I assumed the network card was duff. Just bought a new one, installed it and everything is working again.

More than a little disappointed to have to spend £17 on a network card, just because the old one (that was working perfectly) wasn't compatible with the Superhub. For reference it was a Realtek RTL8139D.

Thanks again, Jon.

craigj2k12
24-03-2012, 14:19
should have just got DIR-615 and put the dud into modem mode - would have saved yourself £7 and have a better router

qasdfdsaq
24-03-2012, 14:43
What he said ^^

jono_h
24-03-2012, 15:05
Possibly, but seeing as it wouldn't work through a WGR614, I'm assuming I'd have needed a new network card anyway.