PDA

View Full Version : Beware the early "Upgrade me" website offer!

daemon
19-03-2012, 16:54
Hi,

A cautionary tale.

Yesterday I accessed My Virgin Media and followed the Upgrade me link to order a 60M upgrade from 20M. All appeared well and I completed the process printing out the details page which said I would be receiving an engineer visit on my chosen date (21st April 2012) at my chosen time (between 10:00 and 14:00).

Shortly after doing this, I lost my present 20M service and my cable modem Ready light started to blink continuously.

I contacted faults (on 151) and India told me that there was a fault and an engineer would be dispatched tomorrow (19th March 2012) between 12:00 and 16:00 to fix the problem. I took an afternoon off work to await this visit and nobody was forthcoming.

I contacted faults today (19th March 2012) and was told that my present service had been terminated because my Contract was pending. So my free upgrade to 60M had been translated into a new service request and I was also going to be charged £49.99 for a new installation.

Having asserted that I have been with ntl: and VirginMedia for 11 years now I was told that the "installation" would be cancelled and my existing service reinstated.

This took another diversion through Customer Relations to Technical Services before I was able to get my existing 20M service back again. The Technical person I spoke to did say that a Super Hub is allocated to me and should be with me soon.

So, it appears, the My Virgin Media Upgrade me functionality is potentially broken and if you use it you risk losing your current service and being treated as a new install. It was also erroneous in stating an Engineer visit would be required as the Technical person I spoke to assured me that this is an end-user upgrade i.e. just swap your existing modem for the Super Hub.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

DABhand
19-03-2012, 17:01
Wow....

Thats just wow

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2012, 17:15
Epic fail.

General Maximus
19-03-2012, 17:38
yup, I would love to know how many of these they are screwing up because it is going to cause a lot of agro, especially on the billing side where they are charing peeps for installation and/or the shub

Kymmy
19-03-2012, 18:01
It was also erroneous in stating an Engineer visit would be required as the Technical person I spoke to assured me that this is an end-user upgrade i.e. just swap your existing modem for the Super Hub.

This worries me in that from my recent experience the Superhub is more sensitive on the receive side, my figures for an Ambit 2050 (business version of the Ambit 250) were about 5db and with the superhub on the same cable it would be 9db. It's only the splitter that I asked to be installed (4/3.6db loss) that the figures are within limits. (The original isolator was 0.4db)

So I can see a lot of people with borderline high power levels needing the engineers visit.. Although at that time it'll be a fault and free it could mean loss of services for the time between the superhub install and the engineers visit.

qasdfdsaq
19-03-2012, 18:16
It's been said in the past that the Superhub seems more tolerant of higher power levels than, say the VMNG300. How much of that is from it being 8-channel capable and only receiving 4 (at that time) and hence only using half it's "capability" I don't know.

thenry
19-03-2012, 18:38
whats the combined limit for all 8 down.

and 4 up.

greeninferno
19-03-2012, 21:39
Hi,

A cautionary tale.

Yesterday I accessed My Virgin Media and followed the Upgrade me link to order a 60M upgrade from 20M. All appeared well and I completed the process printing out the details page which said I would be receiving an engineer visit on my chosen date (21st April 2012) at my chosen time (between 10:00 and 14:00).

Shortly after doing this, I lost my present 20M service and my cable modem Ready light started to blink continuously.

I contacted faults (on 151) and India told me that there was a fault and an engineer would be dispatched tomorrow (19th March 2012) between 12:00 and 16:00 to fix the problem. I took an afternoon off work to await this visit and nobody was forthcoming.

I contacted faults today (19th March 2012) and was told that my present service had been terminated because my Contract was pending. So my free upgrade to 60M had been translated into a new service request and I was also going to be charged £49.99 for a new installation.

Having asserted that I have been with ntl: and VirginMedia for 11 years now I was told that the "installation" would be cancelled and my existing service reinstated.

This took another diversion through Customer Relations to Technical Services before I was able to get my existing 20M service back again. The Technical person I spoke to did say that a Super Hub is allocated to me and should be with me soon.

So, it appears, the My Virgin Media Upgrade me functionality is potentially broken and if you use it you risk losing your current service and being treated as a new install. It was also erroneous in stating an Engineer visit would be required as the Technical person I spoke to assured me that this is an end-user upgrade i.e. just swap your existing modem for the Super Hub.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

did you not get the self install for free option on that page?

jaf1968
19-03-2012, 22:32
Didn't get the self-install option here.

Did get some paperwork in the post telling me I'll be charged for the install despite the web site telling me it would be free...

Called up and explained all this to the call centre guy, who then asked if I was having a problem with my broadband speed:mad:

Eventually got through to Customer services who are going to credit me with the 49.95...

How's the Super Hub behaving these days?

Ducks;)

J

DABhand
19-03-2012, 22:41
I see India is now pushing for people to get onto the digitial homehelp premium service.

greeninferno
19-03-2012, 23:26
Didn't get the self-install option here.

Did get some paperwork in the post telling me I'll be charged for the install despite the web site telling me it would be free...

Called up and explained all this to the call centre guy, who then asked if I was having a problem with my broadband speed:mad:

Eventually got through to Customer services who are going to credit me with the 49.95...

How's the Super Hub behaving these days?

Ducks;)

J

when i clicked through the "upgrade me" there were a list of options

self install free

tech install £50 etc.

then a drop down thing for the date the s.hub was to be posted.

Sounds like the page you got is broken.

Sephiroth
19-03-2012, 23:32
whats the combined limit for all 8 down.

and 4 up.

33 dBmv down following the 3dB double up rule. (Work that one out!)

8 = 2^3. So anything higher than 11 dBmv blows the Docsis 3 limit.

thenry
20-03-2012, 01:07
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/03/15.gif

daemon
20-03-2012, 07:51
did you not get the self install for free option on that page?
when i clicked through the "upgrade me" there were a list of options

self install free

tech install £50 etc.

then a drop down thing for the date the s.hub was to be posted.

Sounds like the page you got is broken.

No. The only options presented to me were the choice of two times and dates for an engineer visit. Perhaps it displays options dependent on service quality for your area. The after-submission processing was completely messed-up for me.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

BenMcr
20-03-2012, 09:48
Perhaps it displays options dependent on service quality for your area.That is correct, there are background checks performed that will then present appropriate options. The same applies if you do it via Customer Services - the system will tell them whether it's an engineer install or not

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

In regards to the original post, it's likely a system glitch. I have seen it before where for some reason the existing service disconnects as part of broadband upgrade when new kit is required.

Usually it's down to a miskey somewhere - certainly not part of the system or on purpose

borrissey
20-03-2012, 10:34
Can everyone upgrade now then? I thought you had to wait till your area was ready by checking by typing in your post code.

BenMcr
20-03-2012, 10:49
Can everyone upgrade now then? I thought you had to wait till your area was ready by checking by typing in your post code.If there is capacity then it's possible to bring your downstream upgrade forward and all customers upgrading to the next tier will have this done

The upstream upgrade won't happen until the work has completed in your area

Chrysalis
20-03-2012, 15:23
If there is capacity then it's possible to bring your downstream upgrade forward and all customers upgrading to the next tier will have this done

The upstream upgrade won't happen until the work has completed in your area

My area has high downstream utilisation and the new configs are been issued anyway. So I dont think a capacity check is done for that, or its a weak check. It also is still only on 4 DS channels.

BenMcr
20-03-2012, 15:31
New configs have been issued because

all customers upgrading to the next tier will have this done

So as an existing customer if you request to go from XL to XXL (for instance) you will now always get XXL 100.

However the capacity checks are done for non-movement retiers e.g going from XL 20/30 to XL 60.

Begize
22-03-2012, 20:18
I had a very similar problem - got the message in my VM, filed in the online bumpf but was only given the option of picking dates.

Picked two, when the email came through it was for a completely different day and time altogether so rang 150 and spoke to someone in the UK (hurrah!)

She told me that the install had actually been scheduled for yet another different day (no surprise there, same thing happened to me with V+ and TiVo installs, seems the website booking thing is a waste of space) and I was going to be charged for it.

She changed to a suitable day for me and arranged the free install. Apparently I have to have an engineer install because of previous issues in the area (I have had high signal problems because of being the first house on the street loop).

Funny enough though, my bb also went off a few hours after the call. I rebooted the modem and it came back up, but since then the ready light has been blinking continuously. BB appears to be fine though.

Gadgie
22-03-2012, 21:06
We are existing customers for VM Internet and presently on 10Meg, they told us that this was going to be upgraded to 20Meg. (March/April)

Thing is, we are in the process of returning to VM for our TV and Phone package as well, with a change over date for April 9th.

What will be the Internet speed we will get with the new package?

BenMcr
22-03-2012, 21:16
What will be the Internet speed we will get with the new package?Depends what tier of service you get with the bundle you have been offers i.e L/XL or XXL

Gadgie
22-03-2012, 22:03
Ah! cheers for that BenMcr, I'm not exactly sure what that was, as the person I was speaking to was very hard to understand, but I do remember saying that I wanted the same deal as my stepson who got upgraded from 20 to 60Mg

No doubt I will sort it out when the bloke comes to install it all, thanks again.;)

daemon
23-03-2012, 09:58
This has become a total fiasco!

Today I received a letter regarding my account and there was a new contract enclosed for the services I currently have plus the 60M upgrade. With an installation charge of £49.95.

Speaking to the person in Billing they are obviously totally unaware of the free early upgrade offer for 20M customers. I was told that an engineer visit is always required for this 60M upgrade, that there is a standard £49.95 installation fee and an additional monthly charge.

For the amount of hassle this has caused I don't think I will bother. I will check availability of BT Infinity in my area and switch.

I accept that problems can occur but there appears to be no communication between departments within Virgin Media and this whole upgrade scenario appears to have been handled totally incompetently.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 11:14
What do people expect trying to jump the gun on this free speed upgrade..?? It's very much a case of if you want it now then you'll probably have to pay or enter a new contract so it's no surprise to see this happening..

Be patient and the upgrade will eventually come to you ;)

qasdfdsaq
23-03-2012, 11:48
Except that every time you login to your VM account you get bombarded by a mountain of popups yelling "SPEED UPGRADES CLICK HERE" that you have to dismiss before you can do anything else.

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 12:53
Not had any of those pop-ups myself..

Still though it doesn't say "FREE SPEED UPGRADES CLICK HERE"

mark1234
23-03-2012, 13:11
But nor does it say you have to pay or recontract to get the upgrade, just a button saying "Upgrade Me".

daemon
23-03-2012, 15:31
What do people expect trying to jump the gun on this free speed upgrade..?? It's very much a case of if you want it now then you'll probably have to pay or enter a new contract so it's no surprise to see this happening..

The offer was presented to me on My Virgin Media. If an offer is made then the systems should be in place to properly satisfy the offer. The fact that VMs ordering process broke has nothing whatever to do with me "jumping the gun" as you put it!

Regards,
Neil Darlow

General Maximus
23-03-2012, 17:29

So if you get a flyer through the door from Domino's advertising buy one get one free with free delivery and you ring up for it, pay over the phone and then find out on your credit card bill you have been charged for 2 pizzas plus delivery is it your fault for taking advantage of an offer which they have chosen to promote to you and make you aware of?

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 17:30
Where does it say that the upgrade is free (talking about the one offered to you and not the generic speed doubling upgrades slated for the next 18 months)??

CrazyHolz
23-03-2012, 17:45
I was also got a letter today saying I would be charged £49.95 for the installation that is meant to be free.

My post on the Virgin Media forum:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/Virgin-Media-Upgrade-ADDED-COST/m-p/1108337/thread-id/30314

General Maximus
23-03-2012, 17:48
Where does it say that the upgrade is free (talking about the one offered to you and not the generic speed doubling upgrades slated for the next 18 months)??

I havent got a green blob so I don't know but enough users have said it is being advertised as a free upgrade with self install. If it isnt it is going to be a bit of a PR disaster. VM massively advertising free double speed upgrades but if you ask for a bit earlier, which Ben has already said would only be allowed for the extra capacity has been added, you have got to pay for it.

If you want to work on that principle then give me 120mbit now and I'll pay for it.

CrazyHolz
23-03-2012, 17:49
I havent got a green blob so I don't know but enough users have said it is being advertised as a free upgrade with self install. If it isnt it is going to be a bit of a PR disaster. VM massively advertising free double speed upgrades but if you ask for a bit earlier, which Ben has already said would only be allowed for the extra capacity has been added, you have got to pay for it.

If you want to work on that principle then give me 120mbit now and I'll pay for it.

We just phoned up Virgin Media and they said the charge was a mistake and that they will deduct it off our next bill.

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 17:56

No point in asking for what they're not ready to give you.. The 60/100Mbit upgrades are in 100Mb areas..

What I was saying is that people are jumping the gun and trying to get something promised to everyone later, now for nothing.. It might be available but that doesn't mean it'll work nor does it mean that they'll get the billing right..

I just don;t fully understand this impatience ;)

CrazyHolz
23-03-2012, 18:00
No point in asking for what they're not ready to give you.. The 60/100Mbit upgrades are in 100Mb areas..

What I was saying is that people are jumping the gun and trying to get something promised to everyone later, now for nothing.. It might be available but that doesn't mean it'll work nor does it mean that they'll get the billing right..

If it's being offered for free earlier, why not? It's not being impatient.

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 18:04
If it's being offered for free too early, why not? It's not being impatient.

I think my editing of the quote might provide a hint..

Billing/upload/installation systems all not ready it seems..

Not your guys fault but not a surprise..

Sephiroth
23-03-2012, 18:05

Of course you do (or should do)! People are only human.

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 18:14
Human... sorry but that does not compute!!! ;)

Off-topic: I do though tend to be the only one in the supermarket queue or traffic jam just leaning back and relaxing :D

daemon
23-03-2012, 20:19
@Kymmy: You are unaware of facts relating to this problem that BenMcr and I am aware of. Your comments, should I say opinions, are not correct in this instance and, as a member of the CableForum Staff, I would ask you to exercise some impartiality and restraint in your postings until the full facts are presented.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Blackened
23-03-2012, 20:26
^^ that made me lolol. :D

It's the Internet, not a bloody boardroom.. Give over.

Kymmy
23-03-2012, 20:30
@Kymmy: You are unaware of facts relating to this problem that BenMcr and I am aware of. Your comments, should I say opinions, are not correct in this instance and, as a member of the CableForum Staff, I would ask you to exercise some impartiality and restraint in your postings until the full facts are presented.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

You also seem to be unaware that the team are human and have their own opinions. If we are acting as a team member then we post entirely in BOLD otherwise we post as ourselves..

BenMcr
23-03-2012, 20:36
Just to say that the cause of some of this issue has been identified and is in the process of being resolved

The rest is still being looked into.

As soon as I've got a full run down of why things didn't go as they should I will post it