PDA

View Full Version : VIRGIN MEDIA Trespassed on my property

cornfloweruk
18-03-2012, 02:16
Virgin Media trespassed on my property and installed a cable box and wire by attaching it to my wall to service the property next door. This was done without my consent and in my absence. I spent months trying to get them to remove it but they refused. So I am taking them to court on 28 Mar 2012.

I have seen similar complaints on the internet and would appreciate if you would post your stories so that I may print off as evidence as they are defending the whole claim.

I would also appreciate if there are any legal minds out there if you would email me to let me know my rights. I did seek legal advice and on that basis do not understand how they are able to defend the claim.

I think it may be revenge as I served them with an injunction and when they did not appear at court I reserved it on a director and Neil Berkett, the CEO. I understand that if they fail to comply they can be arrested.

Though I appreciate well wishers etc. I would appreciate if you would restrict posts to your similar experiences as I will print of the thread.

Thanks

Stuart
18-03-2012, 04:26
Virgin Media trespassed on my property and installed a cable box and wire by attaching it to my wall to service the property next door. This was done without my consent and in my absence. I spent months trying to get them to remove it but they refused. So I am taking them to court on 28 Mar 2012.

I have seen similar complaints on the internet and would appreciate if you would post your stories so that I may print off as evidence as they are defending the whole claim.

I would also appreciate if there are any legal minds out there if you would email me to let me know my rights. I did seek legal advice and on that basis do not understand how they are able to defend the claim.

I think it may be revenge as I served them with an injunction and when they did not appear at court I reserved it on a director and Neil Berkett, the CEO. I understand that if they fail to comply they can be arrested.

Though I appreciate well wishers etc. I would appreciate if you would restrict posts to your similar experiences as I will print of the thread.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

djfunkdup
18-03-2012, 04:33
is it really that big a deal ?

if it was the other way round and you needed a cable routed to you,would you hope that the chap next door helped you out or told you to fook off ?

yea i no it's not on my property,but if the cable is fitted in a secure manor and does not obstruct your daily life then what's the big deal ?

Stuart
18-03-2012, 05:06
Cornflower, while I am not a legal expert, a few things spring to mind.

1) Have you checked if posts on a public forum that is independent of Virgin Media count as evidence? If a member posts something, we have no way of proving they are telling the truth.
2) I doubt that VM would exact revenge in this way. For a start, it is illegal. It's more likely that the installer either wasn't aware he was trespassing or just bunged the box anywhere to get it done quickly.
3) If you are taking court action, I recommend you see a solicitor rather than ask a bunch of people you don't know and have no way of verifying that they are qualified for advice. If you are given wrong advice, it could end up costing you more than the 2 or 3 hundred pounds an hour that a solicitor would cost.

paulsouth
18-03-2012, 08:56
is it really that big a deal ?

if it was the other way round and you needed a cable routed to you,would you hope that the chap next door helped you out or told you to fook off ?

yea i no it's not on my property,but if the cable is fitted in a secure manor and does not obstruct your daily life then what's the big deal ?

i would tell them to get lost to..
not my fault they dont have a box out side there house..
and-its not that!!
the issue is--how do u know that person who has the box out side their house has to pay for next doors service they have taken on?
sod that!! i would rip it out!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 ----------

i would tell them to get lost to..
not my fault they dont have a box out side there house..
and-its not that!!
the issue is--how do u know that person who has the box out side their house has to pay for next doors service they have taken on?
sod that!! i would rip it out!!

i hd that when i lived at thornton heath,at the time it was telewest.
when they wasnt looking it ripped it out and threw it away!! sod them..
i wouldnt mind if they asked me..but but they didnt!!

Peter_
18-03-2012, 10:20
Just remove it otherwise you will be going around in circles getting nowhere.

Have a read of this thread which has been going on since the end of January HERE (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Telephone/Trespassing-broken-fence-and-V-Media/td-p/992625)

martyh
18-03-2012, 10:22

Thanks

I think for anyone to comment on this they would need a few more details even photo's simply saying that VM have stuck a box on your wall and trespassed on your property is not enough .What you may think is trespass may not be trespass and what you think is your wall may not be your wall as intimated by the statement i have highlited

Peter_
18-03-2012, 10:55
Anything that is within my boundaries including external walls are my property and if some attached something without my express and written permission it would be removed.

Jonnymeg
18-03-2012, 11:02
I think for anyone to comment on this they would need a few more details even photo's simply saying that VM have stuck a box on your wall and trespassed on your property is not enough .What you may think is trespass may not be trespass and what you think is your wall may not be your wall as intimated by the statement i have highlited

Agreed, lets see some pics so we can determine what is going on.

AndyCambs
18-03-2012, 11:18
Was it Virgin Media themselves or an outside contractor?

m419
18-03-2012, 12:50

Thanks

Have you checked to see if Virgin Media or a previous owner of the cable franchise has the power to do so? I think it is called leaveway or something like that.

carlwaring
18-03-2012, 13:01
I think it is called leaveway or something like that.
So close! It's 'wayleave' and it is up to the customer to get any required authorisations, not Virgin Media and, in my experience, VM will not proceed without it.

m419
18-03-2012, 14:04
So close! It's 'wayleave' and it is up to the customer to get any required authorisations, not Virgin Media and, in my experience, VM will not proceed without it.

Even if the previous owner of the house agreed to it?

carlwaring
18-03-2012, 20:43
I don't know. Would assume it needs to be the current owner though.

Zee
18-03-2012, 22:51
if it was me i wouldn't really want things to be attached to my property, i'd rip it off.

thenry
18-03-2012, 23:01
doesnt this sort of thing degrade services?

cookie_365
18-03-2012, 23:19
Just remove it otherwise you will be going around in circles getting nowhere.

Have a read of this thread which has been going on since the end of January HERE (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Telephone/Trespassing-broken-fence-and-V-Media/td-p/992625)That might well be criminal damage. The OP might own the property it's attached to but he/she doesn't own the VM stuff.

If the OP can't sort it out amicably with VM then they need to see a solicitor, or take the risk and represent themselves in court.

carlwaring
18-03-2012, 23:20
doesnt this sort of thing degrade services?
Not at all.

Because of where I am (my house being in the grounds of another), my supply is some sort of "tap" off the main house. It was done that way (with their permission of course) to save having to dig up the concrete driveway.

martyh
18-03-2012, 23:26
if it was me i wouldn't really want things to be attached to my property, i'd rip it off.

without knowing the details of this i think it is bad advice to simply say "rip it off ",the op seems unwilling to give any more details so it may be the case that he is mistaken about VM's rights in this matter .

danielf
18-03-2012, 23:31
That might well be criminal damage. The OP might own the property it's attached to but he/she doesn't own the VM stuff.

If the OP can't sort it out amicably with VM then they need to see a solicitor, or take the risk and represent themselves in court.

The OP stated in the first post that he/she is taking VM to court (on the 28th) after failing to settle amicably

Hugh
18-03-2012, 23:35
The OP stated in the first post that he/she is taking VM to court (on the 28th) after failing to settle amicably
I am not sure if he did try to settle it amicably, as this is not clear in the OP (but willing to be convinced otherwise).

Thanks
The OP appears to be stating that the box was fitted (as revenge?) after he served them with an injunction, and when they did not appear in court, he re-served it on a director and the CEO.

Not sure if I would describe that sequence of events as "amicable"....

thenry
18-03-2012, 23:37
Not at all.

Because of where I am (my house being in the grounds of another), my supply is some sort of "tap" off the main house. It was done that way (with their permission of course) to save having to dig up the concrete driveway.

ive read a few times in the past that services degrade with this sort of thing

qasdfdsaq
18-03-2012, 23:46
Your wife degrades with this sort of thing.

danielf
18-03-2012, 23:48
I am not sure if he did try to settle it amicably, as this is not clear in the OP (but willing to be convinced otherwise).

The OP appears to be stating that the box was fitted (as revenge?) after he served them with an injunction, and when they did not appear in court, he re-served it on a director and the CEO.

Not sure if I would describe that sequence of events as "amicable"....

Hmm, I didn't read that far... Lover's spat doesn't quite seem to cover it... :)

carlwaring
18-03-2012, 23:58
ive read a few times in the past that services degrade with this sort of thing
Well this has not happened to me. That said, how would I know as it's the only service I've ever had from VM :D

Zee
19-03-2012, 00:15
without knowing the details of this i think it is bad advice to simply say "rip it off ",the op seems unwilling to give any more details so it may be the case that he is mistaken about VM's rights in this matter .

but they dont have right to go onto someone elses property and then install and attach things to someone elses property either.

martyh
19-03-2012, 00:31
but they dont have right to go onto someone elses property and then install and attach things to someone elses property either.

Like i said we don't know all the details ,for all we know the op may own a flat in which case VM have every right to attach the box ,i believe there are situations involving terraced houses that also give VM and indeed other service contractors rights they would not normally have .I find it hard to believe that VM would install a box on a adjacent property and then run a cable along the walls to the correct property ,it makes no sense so there must be a good reason .I would sooner know what type of property the op is talking about before making rash statements such as "rip it off"

jimexbox
19-03-2012, 05:11

Agreed, just make sure you give the box to virgin or your neighbour or you could be accused of theft.

Sirius
19-03-2012, 07:45
I don't know why but i am getting a funny feeling all is not as it seems over this thread :rolleyes:

Peter_
19-03-2012, 08:09
That might well be criminal damage. The OP might own the property it's attached to but he/she doesn't own the VM stuff.

If I came home and found a Virgin Media box fitted to my wall serving my neighbour then that would be trespass on the part of Virgin Media as my front wall is 20 feet from the road, plus it would have been fitted without my express permission which would be a wayleave.

I would inform my neighbour of my intention and remove the offending item and would then leave it on the pavement for their engineer to collect, I would also sue the company for the damage and distress caused by their trespass.

I would not leave it to be sorted amicably as in many similar instances of trespass it taken Virgin media months to sort these issues out if at all, once the offending equipment is removed it is between Virgin media and their customer to sort out any reconnection required.

mentalis
19-03-2012, 08:50
Just to make everyone aware I am in no way a legal expert.

But, given today's economic climate, is there a way to profit from this? If VM want to install equipment on your property that you are not paying for can you charge them rent?

That way you don't deprive your neighbours of their services, and if VM have to pay they might be more inclined to remove the offending item.

carlwaring
19-03-2012, 08:56
I don't know why but i am getting a funny feeling all is not as it seems over this thread :rolleyes:
I don't think we ever do :)

martyh
19-03-2012, 10:17

Yep,:tu:

MovedGoalPosts
19-03-2012, 11:16
Firstly check the title deeds to the property. Is the land and building parts really in your exclusive ownership. In a terrace or semi detached building, and even on some estates there can be covenants that allow services to be routed in common between buildings.

An Easement is a legal right, that would be granted by an owner to allow a service to another property to pass over land controlled by that owner. It is usually written against the title of the owner's property, and would be binding on future ownerships. Someone would have received a financial or other reward for allowing that easement to exist. As far as I know this is the only way that a perpetual right to pass a service to a neighbour via a different property can exist and it is this which would have to exist where properties and the land around them are entirely separate and freehold.

There may be a less formal licence in place for the service to an adjacent property, but those are often cancellable if due notice is given, and only have a limited period before they could expire.

A wayleave can only be granted by the owner of a property for the services provided to that property itself, and the land controlled by it. It does not give any rights over neighbouring land or services to that land as the owner of one property does not have rights over a neighbour's freehold. The wayleave effectively gives a service provider a right of access onto the supplied proeprty's land to allow the service provider to maintain, renew or even remove.

If the OP is convinced that the service components roouted to his neighbour are on his property, and there are no covenants, easements or licences in place, then yes it would appear there is a tresspass. In that situation the simplest thing is to serve a notice on Virgin Media, recorded delivery is best so you can prove it has been received even if it then goes into an abyss, that the offending equipment will be removed if they do not do so in a reasonable timescale (maybe 14 days?). Of course you can reserve your right to claim damages for the tresspass, and any making good costs you have incurred. But since it is the tresspass you are most concerned with it is that you want to take action over.

Of course if you value your relationship with your neighbour, I'd let them know what is going on. If you guys fall out over this, the value of your property could be harmed far more substantially the effect's of any percieved tresspass, since on sale of a home you are usually asked if there are or have been any neighbourly disputes. Nobody want's to live in a neighbourhood where there may be unpleasantness.

Disclaimer: If you are in any doubt about the legitimacy of any actions you are taking then you should seek proper advice from a solicitor. Reliance on information posted on forums can be dangerous as they are the opinions of individuals that may not always be correct.

Sirius
19-03-2012, 11:18
Firstly check the title deeds to the property. Is the land and building parts really in your exclusive ownership. In a terrace or semi detached building, and even on some estates there can be covenants that allow services to be routed in common between buildings.

An Easement is a legal right, that would be granted by an owner to allow a service to another property to pass over land controlled by that owner. It is usually written against the title of the owner's property, and would be binding on future ownerships. Someone would have received a financial or other reward for allowing that easement to exist. As far as I know this is the only way that a perpetual right to pass a service to a neighbour via a different property can exist and it is this which would have to exist where properties and the land around them are entirely separate and freehold.

There may be a less formal licence in place for the service to an adjacent property, but those are often cancellable if due notice is given, and only have a limited period before they could expire.

A wayleave can only be granted by the owner of a property for the services provided to that property itself, and the land controlled by it. It does not give any rights over neighbouring land or services to that land as the owner of one property does not have rights over a neighbour's freehold. The wayleave effectively gives a service provider a right of access onto the supplied proeprty's land to allow the service provider to maintain, renew or even remove.

If the OP is convinced that the service components roouted to his neighbour are on his property, and there are no covenants, easements or licences in place, then yes it would appear there is a tresspass. In that situation the simplest thing is to serve a notice on Virgin Media, recorded delivery is best so you can prove it has been received even if it then goes into an abyss, that the offending equipment will be removed if they do not do so in a reasonable timescale (maybe 14 days?). Of course you can reserve your right to claim damages for the tresspass, and any making good costs you have incurred. But since it is the tresspass you are most concerned with it is that you want to take action over.

Of course if you value your relationship with your neighbour, I'd let them know what is going on. If you guys fall out over this, the value of your property could be harmed far more substantially the effect's of any percieved tresspass, since on sale of a home you are usually asked if there are or have been any neighbourly disputes. Nobody want's to live in a neighbourhood where there may be unpleasantness.

Disclaimer: If you are in any doubt about the legitimacy of any actions you are taking then you should seek proper advice from a solicitor. Reliance on information posted on forums can be dangerous as they are the opinions of individuals that may not always be correct.

:tu:

That is an excellent post Rob

cornfloweruk
19-03-2012, 15:29
For clarity, it is a staggered, terraced house and yes it is a big deal. I was not asked permission; it interfers with a garden project I was working on (the installers pulled down a climbing rose bush in order to put the cable into the wall). Nor do I wish be held liable should there be any damage. I don't want it on my property.

The revenge I was refering to was defending the claim, as, should Virgin fail to comply the executives that were served are personaly liable.

The wall falls squarely within my boundaries, in any event there is no wayleave or easement agreement with Virgin Media or anyone. Virgin Media should not have acted knowing that consent had not been obtained.

Thank you for your help.

Tim Deegan
19-03-2012, 15:47
Cornflower, while I am not a legal expert, a few things spring to mind.

1) Have you checked if posts on a public forum that is independent of Virgin Media count as evidence? If a member posts something, we have no way of proving they are telling the truth.
2) I doubt that VM would exact revenge in this way. For a start, it is illegal. It's more likely that the installer either wasn't aware he was trespassing or just bunged the box anywhere to get it done quickly.
3) If you are taking court action, I recommend you see a solicitor rather than ask a bunch of people you don't know and have no way of verifying that they are qualified for advice. If you are given wrong advice, it could end up costing you more than the 2 or 3 hundred pounds an hour that a solicitor would cost.

That's excellent advice Stuart.

Far to many people seek legal advice on forums, and are actually given wrong advice. This could, and often does lead to people spending a great deal of money on legal expenses, in the belief that they will win the case.

You also have to make sure you use the right type of solicitor. I know of a case where someone took advice from a friend who specialised in media contracts, and didn't seem to have a clue about retail, and gave them very wrong advice.

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

For clarity, it is a staggered, terraced house and yes it is a big deal. I was not asked permission; it interfers with a garden project I was working on (the installers pulled down a climbing rose bush in order to put the cable into the wall). Nor do I wish be held liable should there be any damage. I don't want it on my property.

The revenge I was refering to was defending the claim, as, should Virgin fail to comply the executives that were served are personaly liable.

The wall falls squarely within my boundaries, in any event there is no wayleave or easement agreement with Virgin Media or anyone. Virgin Media should not have acted knowing that consent had not been obtained.

Thank you for your help.

Are you going to show us photos or diagrams?

roger skillin
19-03-2012, 16:23
For clarity, it is a staggered, terraced house and yes it is a big deal. I was not asked permission; it interfers with a garden project I was working on (the installers pulled down a climbing rose bush in order to put the cable into the wall).

The wall falls squarely within my boundaries.

Thank you for your help.

Ok from what you've said there that although it was wrong of them to touch your rose bush, the wall they have actually put it on is part of next doors house.
If what i'm imagining you're saying it being staggered and the wall being square onto your boundaries.
Is this actually your wall? or is it the side of the next doors house where it is staggered? and is just over hanging your garden.

We need to see some photo's otherwise everything you're telling us is just hearsay.

Kymmy
19-03-2012, 16:32
It seems you're now seeing this as a profit making excercise which surely gives VM ammunition if it ever goes to court :rolleyes:

My advice is if you're sure that the cable and the box is on your property/wall and that there is no easement or wayleave is to simply remove it.. Then approach VM or the contractor for the costs of repairing any damage done to your property.

I would have done that from as soon as I saw the the issue.

martyh
19-03-2012, 16:45

Thank you for your help.

so where is the box placed ? on the front wall or the part of the wall that comes out of the adjoining property as in this photo with the trellis against the wall .The wall that sticks out is known as the party wall and ,as in this case sits astride the boundary and your neighbour would have certain rights to that wall as would any utility companies on their behalf

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=23287&stc=1&d=1332170826

Sirius
19-03-2012, 16:51
Thanks for your input but I was looking for similar experiences, which I have found through another source so will be closing this thread.
So your not going to be polite and answer the question above

I bet i know looking at the picture where they have put it.

martyh
19-03-2012, 16:54
I am new to this forum so do not know how to upload pictures, which is not the issue, which is continued trespass. In order to make the installation they would have HAD to come into my garden they have no easement or wayleave rights and no necessary consents. I took proper legal advice.

All I wanted was individuals' own experience in this matter, especially with Virgin Media as it is my belief that, with the advent of the digital switch over, VM are agressively establishing themselves as shortly after this installation was made they started marketing the terrace heavily.

Fyi, I am able to charge them rent in the form of mesne profit as (technically) they are using my residence to advertise and run a business.

So if i understand you correctly and using the picture i uploaded as reference you own the house that is set back and according to you VM trespassed onto your property to install a box and cable onto the party wall that sticks out and is forming a boundary .If that is correct then you are in the wrong you cannot plant roses or ivy against that wall without the neighbours permission and he is fully within his rights to access that wall via your garden

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

So your not going to be polite and answer the question above

I bet i know looking at the picture where they have put it.

yep ,and i bet he's going to be very disapointed

danielf
19-03-2012, 16:58
I'd hate to be his neighbour...

Sirius
19-03-2012, 17:01
I'd hate to be his neighbour...Trust me it would be the other way round if he tried that trick on me. ;)

MovedGoalPosts
19-03-2012, 17:45
The photo provided by martyh is just an example. We don't know it is actually the correct scenario.

Before I made any judgement on that layout and who is in control of what I'd definitely be looking at the title deeds.

Where the two properties are overlapping. That section of wall would be a Party Wall.

The exposed brick wall, with the trellis, would not be a party wall, and not shared, if the boundary between the properties is aligned at the face of that wall. It would be the neighbour's wall.

If the boundary is the face of the wall the neighbour might have rights over the render fronted house's garden in order to maintain the wall (Access to Neighbouring Land Act), but that would not give a right to the neighbour to affix anything projecting to the side face of that wall, i.e telecoms kit. Similarly the owner of the rendered property would have no right to fix trellis to that side wall as the wall is not his (techinically you don't have the right to paint your side of a neighbour's fence panel, let climbing plants trail up such fences, but I digress). The garden at the front of the render house would most likely be in the sole ownership of the render house and thus the next door's telecom's services cannot be run over or in that garden, unless there is some other legal right in place.

martyh
19-03-2012, 18:04
The photo provided by martyh is just an example. We don't know it is actually the correct scenario.

Before I made any judgement on that layout and who is in control of what I'd definitely be looking at the title deeds.

Where the two properties are overlapping. That section of wall would be a Party Wall.

The exposed brick wall, with the trellis, would not be a party wall, and not shared, if the boundary between the properties is aligned at the face of that wall. It would be the neighbour's wall.

If the boundary is the face of the wall the neighbour might have rights over the render fronted house's garden in order to maintain the wall (Access to Neighbouring Land Act), but that would not give a right to the neighbour to affix anything projecting to the side face of that wall, i.e telecoms kit. Similarly the owner of the rendered property would have no right to fix trellis to that side wall as the wall is not his (techinically you don't have the right to paint your side of a neighbour's fence panel, let climbing plants trail up such fences, but I digress). The garden at the front of the render house would most likely be in the sole ownership of the render house and thus the next door's telecom's services cannot be run over or in that garden, unless there is some other legal right in place.

Well explained Rob .As always i bow to your expertise in these matters .I have had a few instances where i have had to refer to regulations and to show customers what they can and cannot do regarding this type of scenario and it can get very complicated .As you say without further clarification from the OP it would be unwise to make any concrete judgements

Tim Deegan
19-03-2012, 18:11
I am not profiting from VM they are profiting from me. I understand that mesne profit forms a basis on which damages are awarded. I have no say in in the law.

I probably should have taken it down. Being fair minded I believed that just because they did not do the right thing does not mean that I shouldn't.

Thanks for your input but I was looking for similar experiences, which I have found through another source so will be closing this thread.

Read post 37. It sounds from the information you have given, that you were given wrong advice. You have to make sure that the solicitor is first of all experienced in the issue, and secondly that you give them all of the information (from both sides), rather than just your biased vew. Otherwise you could end up with egg on your face.

MovedGoalPosts
22-03-2012, 13:01
Thread closed at request of OP.