PDA

View Full Version : General Bug that allows you to upgrade now..

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 20:53
Hey guys, i was speaking to my brother about how his upgrade is coming along (He's on 20mb so he gets the early upgrade option) and how it sucks i cant upgrade mine yet as i'm on 30mb. Then he sent me the link from his 'upgrade' button and it allowed me to upgrade my account.

I mean it works but i don't know what the rules are on this type of thing, i don't want to get in trouble for upgrading a few months earlier lol well i will see what happens, i was half expecting an error message to pop up.

If i can get in contact with someone from virgin, i will ask them if its ok to share the link or not. Don't want to post it now incase everyone else gets in trouble too.

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2012, 20:56
I'm not sure why you'd get in trouble for clicking a button on their website to get something they said they'd give you...

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 20:58
My brother gave me the link to upgrade, i didn't have it available on myvirginmedia.

iFrankie
14-03-2012, 21:17
Do you still have this link :).

EDIT just read your post.

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 21:21
Do you still have this link :).

Don't think i will be allowed to post it mate, it works similar to buying something. It puts 60mb on your account at £0.00. If i gave you the link it would upgrade you from 10mb to 60mb for free. This is why i think i need to contact virgin because this could be abusable.

I tried it and i may get in trouble, that's life though. I'm due 60mb though so it's only speeding up the process if it does work.

Chrysalis
14-03-2012, 21:24
has it actually worked tho, I mean has your config changed.

Stuart
14-03-2012, 21:26
Don't think i will be allowed to post it mate, it works similar to buying something. It puts 60mb on your account at £0.00. If i gave you the link it would upgrade you from 10mb to 60mb for free. This is why i think i need to contact virgin because this could be abusable.

I tried it and i may get in trouble, that's life though. I'm due 60mb though so it's only speeding up the process if it does work.

While VM may well be a little upset at you publishing it, it's worth pointing out that the systems that run their website, and online upgrade system are quite capable of checking what you are entitled to on your account.

When I upgraded to 50 meg, the option to have 6 months free spotify premium didn't appear on my "MyVirginMedia" page until I phoned up to complain and they put it on my account.

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 21:34
While VM may well be a little upset at you publishing it, it's worth pointing out that the systems that run their website, and online upgrade system are quite capable of checking what you are entitled to on your account.

When I upgraded to 50 meg, the option to have 6 months free spotify premium didn't appear on my "MyVirginMedia" page until I phoned up to complain and they put it on my account.

I haven't published anything? Apart from that there is a bug as i know virgin staff visit this website frequently. I also messaged someone on VM forums too.

If it doesn't work that's fine, if it does work and i've let them know earlier they have more chance to change it. Some a##hole could have easily made a youtube video and telling everyone how to do it.

Also chrys, do i need to restart my superhub to check? 9PM is past working hours isn't it so i didn't expect it to be on right now.

Ps, Have you seen the cost of calling them? Forget that! :P

thenry
14-03-2012, 21:45
when you click the upgrade button what happens, does it auto reconfig your account numbers or do you have to type in your details to confirm?

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 21:47
It's a short form to confirm your details.

iFrankie
14-03-2012, 21:54
Once you get confirmation PM me haha.

qasdfdsaq
14-03-2012, 21:58
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

Peter_
14-03-2012, 21:59
You cannot upgrade to 30Mb unless you have a Superhub or a VMNG300 modem because if you have any other modem you would lose your connection.

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:
Exactly.;)

thenry
14-03-2012, 22:00
ye not posting the link will save those checking over details rejecting a whole load of submittions. the VM employees will match details submitted via the link to the go ahead list they have. if there isnt a match you wont get a double/triple config sent... well thats what should happen. what will happen in VMs world is anyones guess.

AaronCooper
14-03-2012, 22:01
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for sending me a Pm on this matter, and I will pass it along to Mark Wilco and others involved who needs to know about this and fix it.

Thanks for being part of our community!

Lisa
Community Moderator

They seem to be nice about it, glad i didn't post it now.

Zee
14-03-2012, 22:18
oh well nevermind... there is no way you'd get in "trouble" for posting an upgrade link though.

If anyone else has a link they wish to share let me know :D

Hom3r
14-03-2012, 22:29
Ps, Have you seen the cost of calling them? Forget that! :P

150 from a VM phone line is free

morley04
14-03-2012, 22:36
I wouldnt mind seeing this link if anyone is willing to post it :monkey:

Skie
14-03-2012, 22:43
Seeing as I get a yellow "oops, we dun borken this part of de webisitie" when I click on the green upgrade banner in MyVM, I wouldnt mind a direct link either :)

iFrankie
14-03-2012, 22:46
Seeing as I get a yellow "oops, we dun borken this part of de webisitie" when I click on the green upgrade banner in MyVM, I wouldnt mind a direct link either :)

When that shows up does that mean its not ready in that area?

Skie
14-03-2012, 22:47
When that shows up does that mean its not ready in that area?

No, there is a message that basically says your area isnt ready yet.

This is just a flat out error message.

Nopanic
15-03-2012, 00:21
Doesn't sound like a bug, just someone giving you a link a few steps into a customer journey you wont see any benefit from completing.

BenMcr
15-03-2012, 12:58
Hey guys, i was speaking to my brother about how his upgrade is coming along (He's on 20mb so he gets the early upgrade option) and how it sucks i cant upgrade mine yet as i'm on 30mb. Then he sent me the link from his 'upgrade' button and it allowed me to upgrade my account.

I mean it works but i don't know what the rules are on this type of thing, i don't want to get in trouble for upgrading a few months earlier lol well i will see what happens, i was half expecting an error message to pop up.

If i can get in contact with someone from virgin, i will ask them if its ok to share the link or not. Don't want to post it now incase everyone else gets in trouble too.

Doesn't sound like a bug, just someone giving you a link a few steps into a customer journey you wont see any benefit from completing.
It's not a bug.

The 'early upgrade' option only appears in My VM if there is capacity in your area to support it. There are background checks that are done before the option is given

If you fill in the form, the checks are still done, so you can't bypass them. If the checks say you can get the increase early, then you will - but then it's probably showing up as an option in My VM anyway.

If not you'd probably get offered an upgrade to the next tier up as you are obviously looking at faster broadband.

AaronCooper
15-03-2012, 13:05
Yeah i got a message today saying that the system isn't automated, it's similar to a request form and they check to see if it's available for you and will upgrade you if it's possible.

Don't be too critical about the word bug, i didn't know what to call it lol and on the website it said order completed so if it was an automated then it could have been an issue. Turns out it's neither so there is no problem here. Wonder if they will still check if i'm eligible for the upgrade, wishful thinking maybe :)

jimgors
15-03-2012, 14:15
When i login to VM.com i get this message

You're up and running on one of our new double speed packages.

Want to make the most out of your superfast broadband?

??? what do

BenMcr
15-03-2012, 14:33
Have you run a speed test?

jimgors
15-03-2012, 15:02
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1835638539.png

BenMcr
15-03-2012, 15:06
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1835638539.pngAh - your services list is out of date then lol

AaronCooper
15-03-2012, 15:10
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 6782
Max Traffic Rate 66000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 6781
Max Traffic Rate 3072000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current System Time:Thu Mar 15 15:09:09 2012

Called them up as i got an email saying they were sending me a superhub out but i already had one, they upgraded me.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/03/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

jimgors
15-03-2012, 15:22
Called them up as i got an email saying they were sending me a superhub out but i already had one, they upgraded me.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/03/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

What number?

desi112
15-03-2012, 15:41
^^ just called them my self, they are only offering a manual upgrade to those who have a VM telephone line apparently..I'm on leic16-2-0 and cant get the upgrade I guess its just who you get on the other end determines if you can get the upgrade.