PDA

View Full Version : 30MB minimum by end of 2012

ssr
01-03-2012, 07:36
Had this confirmed by retentions yesterday that all 10M users will be doubled to 20M initially and then increased to 30M by year end in most areas, this is due to BT Infinity increasing speeds. Quote "Virgin require to be the best provider"

Peter_
01-03-2012, 07:39
Good old Retentions getting it wrong once again, that will not happen due to the costs involved replacing every single modem on the network with a Superhub especially as the are more people on 10Mb than on any other tier, you can only go onto 30Mb if you have a Superhub a simple fact the person you spoke to forgot to mention, the rollout to double speeds is below.

Broadband Package
New speed after your speed boost
Broadband Size : S (up to 2Mb)
Up to 5Mb
Broadband Size : M (up to 10Mb)
Up to 20Mb
Broadband Size : L (up to 10Mb)
Up to 20Mb
Broadband Size : XL (up to 20Mb or 30Mb)
Up to 60Mb
Broadband Size : XXL (up to 50Mb)
Up to 100Mb
Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb)
Up to 120Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012

swt4ajp
01-03-2012, 09:09
ha good old retentions dept they tried filling me with the same bs lol wernt having none of it

Chrysalis
01-03-2012, 09:51
Good old Retentions getting it wrong once again, that will not happen due to the costs involved replacing every single modem on the network with a Superhub especially as the are more people on 10Mb than on any other tier, you can only go onto 30Mb if you have a Superhub a simple fact the person you spoke to forgot to mention, the rollout to double speeds is below.

Broadband Package
New speed after your speed boost
Broadband Size : S (up to 2Mb)
Up to 5Mb
Broadband Size : M (up to 10Mb)
Up to 20Mb
Broadband Size : L (up to 10Mb)
Up to 20Mb
Broadband Size : XL (up to 20Mb or 30Mb)
Up to 60Mb
Broadband Size : XXL (up to 50Mb)
Up to 100Mb
Broadband Size : 100 (up to 100Mb)
Up to 120Mb – Note these increases will start from summer 2012

Peter there is a lower 30mbit tier which has 2meg upload that wont get upgraded.

Dont ask me how I know ;)

Is £3.50 cheaper than the normal 30meg price.

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 09:57
Peter there is a lower 30mbit tier which has 2meg upload that wont get upgraded.

Dont ask me how I know ;)

Is £3.50 cheaper than the normal 30meg price.No there isn't. I know what you've got and it's not an additional tier

Chrysalis
01-03-2012, 10:00
Its a retention tier.

Its like the 2mbit package a unofficial one.

I can get you a screenshot of the modem config if you want to deny it, isnt a problem.

I assume other retention packages may have similiar caveats as well in regards to the speed doubling.

Incidently I have no issue with it by the way, VM offer a discount in agreement to waiving the speed upgrade, thats fine by me.

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 10:02
Its a retention tier.

Its like the 2mbit package a unofficial one.

I can get you a screenshot of the modem config if you want to deny it, isnt a problem.

I assume other retention packages may have similiar caveats as well in regards to the speed doubling.

Incidently I have no issue with it by the way, VM offer a discount in agreement to waiving the speed upgrade, thats fine by me.Again completely incorrect.

There are no Retention tiers. What you have been given is an early upgrade to one of the new tiers. Because it's an early upgrade only the downstream is changed. The upstream will remain at a lower rate until the planned upgrades come to your area, at which point it will return to the 10:1 ratio, but your downstream won't change any further (unless you move onto a higher tier)

Chrysalis
01-03-2012, 10:06
I didnt see a new 30meg tier listed ;)

here is the screenshot.

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 10:08
I didnt see a new 30meg tier listed ;)

here is the screenshot.As I said, I'm not doubting you are on 30Mbit, I'm just saying what you think it is incorrect

Chrysalis
01-03-2012, 10:10
So what you saying there is a currently unannounced new 30mbit tier planned. The screenshot was more to show the 2meg upload mixed in with the 30meg download, this new package is good for me as I dont need 3meg upload so paying less for the same download speed is good.

Andrewcrawford23
01-03-2012, 10:18
peter you forgot to meantion 50mb is nwo goign to 1230mb sicne they madea muck up witht eh emails i thik ive still got the meial with teh apogoliy sayign ti will be goign to 120mb now

Kymmy
01-03-2012, 10:25
peter you forgot to meantion 50mb is nwo goign to 1230mb

1240mb..... Why would they downgrade to 1.2Mb???

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 12:14
i can't wait for 1.24gbit. 120mbit upload must be sweet as well. :rofl: Do you think the shub can handle it though?

Stephen
01-03-2012, 12:22
peter you forgot to meantion 50mb is nwo goign to 1230mb sicne they madea muck up witht eh emails i thik ive still got the meial with teh apogoliy sayign ti will be goign to 120mb now
All 50Mb are increasing to 100Mb.

The change to 120Mb will not start to roll out till after the 100Mb has been done so Peter is correct.

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 12:38
All 50Mb are increasing to 100Mb.

The change to 120Mb will not start to roll out till after the 100Mb has been done so Peter is correct.Customers on 50Mbit who get upgraded between now and the launch of the 120Mbit program will get upgraded to 100Mbit, with a further bump to 120Mbit when it's available in their area

Customers on 50Mbit who get upgraded after the launch of 120Mbit will go straight up to 120Mbit.

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 12:45
last time i looked it said i was being wanged up to 120mbit between April and June

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 12:48
last time i looked it said i was being wanged up to 120mbit between April and June
The 120Mbit schedule isn't on the Double Speed site currently. So until the 120Mbit launch date is announced the dates are for 50 > 100Mbit

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 14:21
bum

ssr
01-03-2012, 14:38
I am simply quoting retentions Teesside.He guaranteed 30M lowest speed where all 10M-20M double speed would increase to 30M (superhub supplied where necessary) by year end.Also complete new packages have been installed on Virgin-media system to begin April with increase.

Andrewcrawford23
01-03-2012, 14:56
I am simply quoting retentions Teesside.He guaranteed 30M lowest speed where all 10M-20M double speed would increase to 30M (superhub supplied where necessary) by year end.Also complete new packages have been installed on Virgin-media system to begin April with increase.

retention will tell you anything to say, there not upgrading 10mb to 30mb because everyone would neea shub which would mean 2 million cusotmer which cost them a lot they will eventally upgrade everyone on the lowest tier of 10mb soon to be 20mb to 40 or 60mb in the future but not until infitiy is starting to bit but even then if infitiy is proving to provide th speed snad low latency it wont stop peopel leaving virign will need to sor tthat

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 17:41
i think it is a great idea, makes everything a lot easier for clearing up all these different tiers they have made over the years. They might get round to doing it eventually but it defo isnt going to be this year because as other peeps have said, a shub is required.

Buuuuuuuut, although Ben has said the vmng300 is end of line, this would be the perfect example and opportunity where you could use a great modem for lower tiers. Make a great deal with ambit to use the current vmng300s for everyone below 30mbit and get them up all to 30, and get them to make a new 8 channel version (or even 16 for future proofing) for 60mbit+. Standardised the network with great equipment and everyone is happy.

BenMcr
01-03-2012, 18:57
Buuuuuuuut, although Ben has said the vmng300 is end of line, this would be the perfect example and opportunity where you could use a great modem for lower tiers. Make a great deal with ambit to use the current vmng300s for everyone below 30mbit and get them up all to 30, and get them to make a new 8 channel version (or even 16 for future proofing) for 60mbit+. Standardised the network with great equipment and everyone is happy.There will be standardisation, but on cable gateways, not standalone modems

Andrewcrawford23
01-03-2012, 18:58
i think it is a great idea, makes everything a lot easier for clearing up all these different tiers they have made over the years. They might get round to doing it eventually but it defo isnt going to be this year because as other peeps have said, a shub is required.

Buuuuuuuut, although Ben has said the vmng300 is end of line, this would be the perfect example and opportunity where you could use a great modem for lower tiers. Make a great deal with ambit to use the current vmng300s for everyone below 30mbit and get them up all to 30, and get them to make a new 8 channel version (or even 16 for future proofing) for 60mbit+. Standardised the network with great equipment and everyone is happy.
the vmng300 only needd a firmware updte to take more than 4 channels i think the update can make it up to 8-16 channels i cant remember the exact number i wass reading up about the modem somewhere, it based off another one jsut liek teh shub is based off another mdoel of netgear modem/wireless combi which the original is better than the shub

Peter_
01-03-2012, 19:02
That agent would probably struggle to find their own backside with both hands, it would be extremely costly to do that as millions of modems would require replacing and that is not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

the vmng300 only needd a firmware updte to take more than 4 channels i think the update can make it up to 8-16 channels i cant remember the exact number i wass reading up about the modem somewhere, it based off another one jsut liek teh shub is based off another mdoel of netgear modem/wireless combi which the original is better than the shub
Do you really think that Virgin Media will invest good money in an obsolete piece of kit, dream on.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Make a great deal with ambit to use the current vmng300s for everyone below 30mbit and get them up all to 30, and get them to make a new 8 channel version (or even 16 for future proofing) for 60mbit+. Standardised the network with great equipment and everyone is happy.
Again why buy cheap tat when you can buy modems from Motorola and Cisco.

Andrewcrawford23
01-03-2012, 20:35
That agent would probably struggle to find their own backside with both hands, it would be extremely costly to do that as millions of modems would require replacing and that is not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Do you really think that Virgin Media will invest good money in an obsolete piece of kit, dream on.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Again why buy cheap tat when you can buy modems from Motorola and Cisco.

wasnt suggesting they will only that it can be done

Peter_
01-03-2012, 22:23
wasnt suggesting they will only that it can be done
I know that but they are unwilling to invest in a modem they view as obsolete especially as many have been replaced by Superhubs.;)

Chrysalis
01-03-2012, 22:24
I know that but they are unwilling to invest in a modem they view as obsolete especially as many have been replaced by Superhubs.;)

docsis3 isnt obselete.

kwikbreaks
01-03-2012, 22:38
docsis3 isnt obselete.It could be in the UK if VM continue in the direction they are currently taking - selling products on infrastructure that is struggling to provide close to what's advertised if even 1% of the users start hammering torrents and Infinity continues with it's fast roll out and remains good.

That's obsolete in the sense that there are no ISPs still operating who use it.

Peter_
02-03-2012, 06:55
docsis3 isnt obselete.
Who mentioned Docsis 3? I was being specific to Andrew's question about the VMNG300 which to all intents and purposes is an obsolete device that they want off the network which they are replacing wherever possible as they obviously have no intention of wasting money with firmware upgrades or reprising the device.

That device should never have been issued as I have said on numerous occasions they tested Cisco and Motorola devices but someone thought it better to go down the generic route, and if you are on ongoing doctors prescription you will know by experience that generic drugs only saves money and is never a quality alternative.

Chrysalis
02-03-2012, 09:08
thats my point, its a docsis3 modem, it isnt obselete.

just because VM no longer supply it doesnt mean its suddenly obselete.

jb66
02-03-2012, 09:13
The vmng300 firmware is becoming obsolete, but the hardware is far from it

Chrysalis
02-03-2012, 09:18
Yeah its simply a case VM have chose to stop supporting the device hence no new firmware. I find peters argument flawed because the cost of fixing the superhub firmware is more then likely a lot more money than simply making a firmware to add 4 DS channels. VM made a business decision to simplify the kit customers have (dumb it down), I doubt it had anything to do with the vmng300 been incapable, the dir615 probably had a bigger factor as that only has 100mbit ports. I also expect cost came into it as well and netgear probably gave them a good price for the superhub vs a gigabit dlink router and the vmng300 combination.

Andrewcrawford23
02-03-2012, 09:42
see i dnt get hwy virign wqanted to supply router in the first place they are supplyinga conenction if a cusotmer wants wirelss they buy it

General Maximus
02-03-2012, 09:46
Who mentioned Docsis 3? I was being specific to Andrew's question about the VMNG300 which to all intents and purposes is an obsolete device that they want off the network which they are replacing wherever possible as they obviously have no intention of wasting money with firmware upgrades or reprising the device.

That device should never have been issued as I have said on numerous occasions they tested Cisco and Motorola devices but someone thought it better to go down the generic route, and if you are on ongoing doctors prescription you will know by experience that generic drugs only saves money and is never a quality alternative.

I can't believe that after spending the last year defending the superhub you are now beating up the vmng300. It kicks ass over the shub and despite Ben's previous assertions that VM also had probms with it, it has been perfect compared to the numerous issues with the shub and the time it has (still is) taking to resolve them.

tomtank62
02-03-2012, 16:52

Mr Bolt tells me I won't be getting 20M until July 2013, so I can't see VM giving me 30M by the end of 2012.

qasdfdsaq
02-03-2012, 17:07
Mr Bolt also tells you his name is Richard Branson.

I wonder if, if VM get pulled up for this campaign and not meeting targets, they'll claim the entire thing was clearly "not meant to be believed".

Peter_
02-03-2012, 17:20
thats my point, its a docsis3 modem, it isnt obselete.

just because VM no longer supply it doesnt mean its suddenly obselete.
As far as the company is concerned it is obsolete and they will endeavour to replace them on sight and writ no firmware upgrades for them.

They should never have gone down the route of buying either the VMNG300 or the Superhub, they should have bought from the suppliers of the CMTS they are using it makes more sense than buying 2 cobbled together devices with a Virgin Media logo on them.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I can't believe that after spending the last year defending the superhub you are now beating up the vmng300. It kicks ass over the shub and despite Ben's previous assertions that VM also had probms with it, it has been perfect compared to the numerous issues with the shub and the time it has (still is) taking to resolve them.
Both devices do the job they were bought to do but the VMNG300 does not have 8 downstreams and no one is going to do anything about that and the Superhub does work fine as a modem and in most cases it does works fine as a wireless router, but both devices are not something anyone would buy to have as their Flagship device unless they were very drunk at the time.

Chrysalis
02-03-2012, 17:27
Mr Bolt also tells you his name is Richard Branson.

I wonder if, if VM get pulled up for this campaign and not meeting targets, they'll claim the entire thing was clearly "not meant to be believed".

I dont get that advert.

We all know VM like to mislead.

But I am truly shocked they done an advert with a guy lying about his name.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

As far as the company is concerned it is obsolete and they will endeavour to replace them on sight and writ no firmware upgrades for them.

They should never have gone down the route of buying either the VMNG300 or the Superhub, they should have bought from the suppliers of the CMTS they are using it makes more sense than buying 2 cobbled together devices with a Virgin Media logo on them.

Now that last point I do agree with, always a good idea to use the same vendor both ends of the connection. So cisco modems with cisco UBR's.

Peter_
02-03-2012, 17:30
Now that last point I do agree with, always a good idea to use the same vendor both ends of the connection. So cisco modems with cisco UBR's.
I have posted the same as above on numerous occasions it is really a no brainer unless you really need to save a couple of pound or feel the need to have your own logo on the device.:rolleyes:;)

ssr
02-03-2012, 20:13
Mr Bolt tells me I won't be getting 20M until July 2013, so I can't see VM giving me 30M by the end of 2012.
Ring retentions and ask them

Peter_
02-03-2012, 20:16
Why they will not know that as it is something they have no need to know, if you have put your postcode in then that is the date.:rolleyes:

jb66
02-03-2012, 20:34

Why? They will say anything

ssr
02-03-2012, 22:53
Time will tell

tomtank62
02-03-2012, 23:24
Time will tell

Lets hope you can come back here at the end of the year and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'!!!

Although I am not sure just what I am going to do with the extra 10M (or 20)
10M is plenty for me.

Peter_
02-03-2012, 23:28
Time will tell
That you are wrong, we already know that so nothing new.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Lets hope you can come back here at the end of the year and say 'I TOLD YOU SO'!!!

See the above.

Meatballs
02-03-2012, 23:43
I'm on 10meg and phoned retentions today. Prompted by their price rise letter (I guess the amount of people who dont bother * £1.50 >>> people who phone up get better subscription for cheaper) .

Price drop, TV M -> M+, and they're sending out a super hub.

The guy said something along the lines of, 'You'll be doubling up to 20 but likely you'll be able to get up to around 30 after the upgrades'. 10Mmeg is more than enough for me(and I'm a pretty heavy user) so I didn't really bother to push him further on it although it did sound a bit weird.

Gavin78
02-03-2012, 23:59
I have the WNR2000 that they supplied a while ago and I am on 30mb reduced from 50mb so I think this router could handle 60mb I wouldn't pay out again for a not needed superhub

ssr
03-03-2012, 07:06
And everybody was cheering like mad, except one little boy. You see, he hadn't heard about the magic suit and didn't know what he was supposed to see. Well, as the King came by the little boy looked and, horrified, said:

"Look at the King! Look at the the King! Look at the King, the King, the King!
The King is in the all together
But all together the all together
He's all together as naked as the day that he was born.

Ye of little faith!

Peter_
03-03-2012, 08:14
It is called knowledge unlike that idiot in Retentions who just lied to sound good.

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2012, 15:56
Isn't that how most men get women?

ssr
03-03-2012, 16:43
Meatballs told vrtually the same story?

jb66
03-03-2012, 17:20
Why would retentions get this info and not technicians, it's just usual retention bs to make customers stay

Nopanic
03-03-2012, 17:26
You guys need to listen to Ben .. he's not going to lie to you ..

Andrewcrawford23
03-03-2012, 17:50
ok im goign to tell you that virin is making 100mb stand end of 2013 and 2gb the top tier product by the same time and i work for rentition so does that make me right?

oh by the way i dnt work for virign meida rentetion jsut using it as a example

BenMcr
03-03-2012, 17:59
ok im goign to tell you that virin is making 100mb stand end of 2013 and 2gb the top tier product by the same time and i work for rentition so does that make me right?No

Andrewcrawford23
03-03-2012, 18:04
No

my point ben :) just cause someone says it doesnt make it right, rentetion i ave found lie to try keep you from leaving, i have phoned then recently because i am considering leaving esicpaly if i can get infitiy already have sky and acces to more channels for what in books is slightly cheaper but i keep virign for broadband and vod however with cost cutting i might need to ditch them but renttions told me i would get free upgrade to 200mb with 40mb upload lol but i knew it aint happening

Peter_
03-03-2012, 20:18
Meatballs told vrtually the same story?
Well then if you must know in my other life I am actually Tom Cruise and love the way women swoon around me, now that is a lie just to get you to read this the same as the clowns in Retentions have lied to you in order to get your signature on the dotted line.;)

I rather doubt that 3 million Superhubs are going to suddenly appear overnight just to prove your fantasy is correct.:rolleyes:

General Maximus
03-03-2012, 20:31
It is funny how the CEOs office allegedly talks bs and now retentions allegedly are as well. Nobody tell the trust apart from 1st line support ;)

I have to admit though, I do agree with Peter on this one. It is one of those common sense things and I said tis before xmas when the speed upgrades were first mentioned. VM have always insisted the shub be an engineer install and there is no way they are going to be able to get hold of enough hubs and have the time to go round to every single customers house (forgetting the logistics of arranging it and making sure people and in when you want them to be) and keep to their rollout timetable.

If they tried rushing 3 million shubs out I can guarantee half of them would go back faulty and that wouldn't make for a very good PR stunt.

BenMcr
03-03-2012, 20:36
VM have always insisted the shub be an engineer install.No they haven't. 30Mbit for the most part has always been available as self install, as has 10Mbit since it was supplied with the SuperHub

What Virgin have insisted on is engineer installs to make sure the network to your property is ok for the faster speeds

However as part of this speed uplift program there is a significant amount of proactive network work to allow upgrades to the higher tiers without an engineer required

Chrysalis
03-03-2012, 20:45
From what ben has been saying I can guess my config is like this.

after speed doubling 10meg users will goto 20mbit if they got a docsis1 modem or to 30mbit if they have docsis3. I believe I am now on that new 30mbit config which still has the upload associated with the 20mbit account.

yes or no?

if no why not just say the clear state of play so there is no confusion as what I am observing is staff telling people they wrong but not saying anything else.

BenMcr
03-03-2012, 20:48

after speed doubling 10meg users will goto 20mbit if they got a docsis1 modem or to 30mbit if they have docsis3. I believe I am now on that new 30mbit config which still has the upload associated with the 20mbit account.There has been no confirmation either way as to whether existing L customers will get anything other than a doubling to 20Mbit

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2012, 21:41

after speed doubling 10meg users will goto 20mbit if they got a docsis1 modem or to 30mbit if they have docsis3. I believe I am now on that new 30mbit config which still has the upload associated with the 20mbit account.

yes or no?

if no why not just say the clear state of play so there is no confusion as what I am observing is staff telling people they wrong but not saying anything else.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33684528-virgin-media-to-double-broadband-speed.html

Chrysalis
03-03-2012, 21:45
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33684528-virgin-media-to-double-broadband-speed.html

?

whats the point of that?

ben said my config is for a future package.

there is no future 30meg package listed.

Peter_
03-03-2012, 22:07
It is funny how the CEOs office allegedly talks bs and now retentions allegedly are as well. Nobody tell the trust apart from 1st line support ;)

I have to admit though, I do agree with Peter on this one. It is one of those common sense things and I said tis before xmas when the speed upgrades were first mentioned. VM have always insisted the shub be an engineer install and there is no way they are going to be able to get hold of enough hubs and have the time to go round to every single customers house (forgetting the logistics of arranging it and making sure people and in when you want them to be) and keep to their rollout timetable.

If they tried rushing 3 million shubs out I can guarantee half of them would go back faulty and that wouldn't make for a very good PR stunt.
I would like to know what they smoke in Retentions.https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/03/35.gif

qasdfdsaq
03-03-2012, 22:08
?

whats the point of that?

ben said my config is for a future package.

there is no future 30meg package listed.
That's the *only* speed upgrades that are currently confirmed on VM.

General Maximus
04-03-2012, 10:19
However as part of this speed uplift program there is a significant amount of proactive network work to allow upgrades to the higher tiers without an engineer required

shouldn't they have done that to start off with and then they could have killed two birds with one stone; improve the network and save themselves a small fortune sending engineers out needlessly to however many homes.

BenMcr
04-03-2012, 10:35
shouldn't they have done that to start off with and then they could have killed two birds with one stone; improve the network and save themselves a small fortune sending engineers out needlessly to however many homes.To be honest, I'd say it probably was better use of the available resources to target network work just to those installs that required it

For a mass uplift however, the numbers work differently - especially as you are taking all 20Mbit customers and uplifting them to 60Mbit, which would be unviable to do via engineer installs

ssr
04-03-2012, 11:24
To fully explain why I rang retentions, is that Virgin rang me from overseas somewhere, and the sales guy offered 30M upgrade from 10M free for three months (I have the superhub) then in June a £5.00 upgrade charge, which would be ONE OFF and no charge after that.
This seemed like a good deal to me but was wary of the one off charge, hence I rang retentions; they had the 30M upgrade on their system but knew nothing of the one off charge, so the deal offered was cancelled, but as a goodwill gesture left the 30M on but advised to check for cancellation charges before April 8th as this is the date for the new packages to start. He then confirmed my first post!

Peter_
04-03-2012, 11:44
To fully explain why I rang retentions, is that Virgin rang me from overseas somewhere, and the sales guy offered 30M upgrade from 10M free for three months (I have the superhub)

So now we are getting somewhere as you already have a Superhub which makes an upgrade for you a simple changing of the Docsis file which Retentions can do over the phone, maybe you should have mentioned that in your first post.:rolleyes:

Now as for upgrading everyone else on a STANDARD MODEM to 30Mb that is never going to happen due to the costs and logistics involved, the is no way they are going to stump up for 3 million plus Superhubs totally for free just because some fool on something in Retentions told you so.

ssr
04-03-2012, 12:13
My mistake sorry

A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.

Nopanic
04-03-2012, 12:19
My mistake sorry

A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it's a forgery.

http://www.brainyquote.com/

In case you run out :cool:

ssr
04-03-2012, 12:43

Peter_
04-03-2012, 15:25
My mistake sorry

I take it you still chose to believe the retentions agent, well maybe the following will help you realise his error.

Just 3 weeks ago I was a 1st line broadband technical support agent for Virgin Media and by virtue of doing that job I had access to everything that agent should have also had access to and the no way that Virgin Media are going to suddenly do away with any lower tiers such as the new 5Mb, 20Mb and even some lucky customers who will go to 30Mb on the say so of an agent desperate to get a sale.

The reason I am no longer working for them can be found HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33681519-virgin-media-closing-albert-dock.html) I am now in another position working for a large multinational company.

ssr
04-03-2012, 16:41
---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

[/COLOR]I take it you still chose to believe the retentions agent, well maybe the following will help you realise his error.

Just 3 weeks ago I was a 1st line broadband technical support agent for Virgin Media and by virtue of doing that job I had access to everything that agent should have also had access to and the no way that Virgin Media are going to suddenly do away with any lower tiers such as the new 5Mb, 20Mb and even some lucky customers who will go to 30Mb on the say so of an agent desperate to get a sale.

The reason I am no longer working for them can be found HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33681519-virgin-media-closing-albert-dock.html) I am now in another position working for a large multinational company.

No sales talk took place apart from cancelling the overseas contract offer

Peter_
04-03-2012, 18:39
No sales talk took place apart from cancelling the overseas contract offer
Whoever you spoke to was telling you porkies.

Chrysalis
05-03-2012, 13:52
I think another caveat of this 30mbit package I am on it seems to have a extremely low STM limit.

I downloaded a iso cd only 700meg and I hit a STM limit last night.

BenMcr
05-03-2012, 13:54
I think another caveat of this 30mbit package I am on it seems to have a extremely low STM limit.

I downloaded a iso cd only 700meg and I hit a STM limit last night.Shouldn't be that low

General Maximus
05-03-2012, 14:03

I downloaded a iso cd only 700meg and I hit a STM limit last night.

how much do you pay for 30mbit atm. I am sure that once they wang the prices down 100mbit is only going to be £25/month so it must be worth the extra few £££ for the speed and un-stm'd-ness

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2012, 15:00
Jeebus. 100mbit for £25 a month, I'd forgotten how ludicrous prices have become these days. No wonder they're suffering congestion issues, if they're advertising connectivity at those prices.

Chrysalis
05-03-2012, 15:09
Shouldn't be that low

thanks for confirming, I will test it again tonight, do you know what the figure should be?

bear in mind was some other use also like youtube etc. which may have added an extra few hundred meg.

BenMcr
05-03-2012, 15:14
thanks for confirming, I will test it again tonight, do you know what the figure should be?

bear in mind was some other use also like youtube etc. which may have added an extra few hundred meg.Well with XL30 you get 5GB in the Evening period so I'd assume it's the same for the tier you are on

Chrysalis
05-03-2012, 15:20
how much do you pay for 30mbit atm. I am sure that once they wang the prices down 100mbit is only going to be £25/month so it must be worth the extra few £££ for the speed and un-stm'd-ness

The stock price minus £3.50.

General Maximus
05-03-2012, 15:26
should be £15/month then

broadbandking
05-03-2012, 18:32

Huh? 100Mb is going to be £25 I haven't seen that.

qasdfdsaq
05-03-2012, 18:38

broadbandking
05-03-2012, 22:15
Doesn't say 100Mb would become £25 unless I have to trawl through 20+ pages

craigj2k12
05-03-2012, 22:22
"100mb users will get a price reduction to match 50mb."

General Maximus
05-03-2012, 22:49
ya, I was defo paying £25 for 50mbit and when I rang up to upgrade they said everything was free (installation and bla bla) and I would only have to pay £10 a month more for 50mbit. Since the speed doubling and price reductions were annouced I have had a letter through saying that my bill was going down by £5.75 a month from April and this included the price increases as well. So all in all, it going back to £25 a month which I think is pretty sweet for 100/120mbit and how much I use it

qasdfdsaq
06-03-2012, 00:11
Doesn't say 100Mb would become £25 unless I have to trawl through 20+ pages
It's in the first post for a reason.

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

"100mb users will get a price reduction to match 50mb."
What he said ^^

broadbandking
06-03-2012, 08:26
O I see now, I don't work with the prices anymore lol so a little out of touch.

kwikbreaks
06-03-2012, 08:34
You only get those prices if you take the phone line. Base price for 10Mbps without it is £21 going up to £22.50 in April. If you take the phone line and don't use it then add about £15 to those discounted prices. If you do use it then investigate alternatives because VM telephony is not competitive.

Even so the price for 50Mbps and soon to be 100Mbps is excellent for those in areas where VM still actually deliver anything close to their advertised speeds.

ssr
06-03-2012, 09:40
Or even 30M by the end of the year!!:D

Chrysalis
06-03-2012, 12:13
I tested STM again last night and it appears to be around 1gig or so.

I checked the STM table which shows the L 10mbit package as 1.5gig limit.

10mbit is usually £4 cheaper than 30mbit so I think the STM limit is lower on this new 30mbit package than it is on the higher priced one.

ssr
08-03-2012, 17:41
Digital Spy forum.
This makes two of us given the same info

I just had a superhub delivered, I called about reducing services and was told 10meg going to 20meg then at later date 30 so you might as well have superhub now.

Andrewcrawford23
08-03-2012, 17:44
Digital Spy forum.

I just had a superhub delivered, I called about reducing services and was told 10meg going to 20meg then at later date 30 so you might as well have superhub now.

think there jsut trying to get everyone onot a superhub and eventally they will upgrade minimum speed to 30mb as it make sense 30 60 and 120

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2012, 17:50
That would mean I'm wrong, and I don't like being wrong :(

Andrewcrawford23
08-03-2012, 17:51
That would mean I'm wrong, and I don't like being wrong :(

how would oyu be wrong?

jb66
08-03-2012, 18:15
Digital Spy forum.

Eventually everyone will have 100meg... What's there point

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2012, 18:35
how would oyu be wrong?
I said (and maintain) there will never be a time when most people have Superhubs as 10mb (70% of VM customers) is going to 20mb and not getting a Superhub.

thenry
08-03-2012, 18:55
the point is getting rid of non docsis3. plus with this new SuperHub coming (Qas) they may as well push the current SuperHub1 stock.. killing a few birds with 1 stone. why they made it hard for themselves i dont know.

Andrewcrawford23
08-03-2012, 19:02
i dnt think there goign to replace 70% of there cusotmer in one swoop but i do seem be seeing a lot of people getitng told this one person i say agent lying but i have read on various forums in excess off 20-30 people being told so i am starting to think they will do gradually 10-30mb uplift and slowly upgrade poepel to shub but renetions are being told to encourage just

ssr
16-03-2012, 19:04
Virgin Media CEO Neil Berkett says he is open to including OTT offerings from the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm.

Speaking exclusively to DTVE at Cable Congress, Berkett said that the UK cable operator would make TiVo its basic offering, bundled with 30Mbps internet access and telephony.

Could this mean that I was right after all!!

jb66
16-03-2012, 19:10
Virgin Media CEO Neil Berkett says he is open to including OTT offerings from the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm.

Speaking exclusively to DTVE at Cable Congress, Berkett said that the UK cable operator would make TiVo its basic offering, bundled with 30Mbps internet access and telephony.

I'm still installing 20meg max hubs,

ssr
16-03-2012, 19:37
Just had call from my son, VM installing Superhub 30M next week. No installation charge and no monthly charge, was told this is the 10M upgrade. This is an engineer install Teesside area

General Maximus
16-03-2012, 19:52

yup, it makes sense. 30mbit is a nice bottom speed to have and makes a mockery of adsl when it come to adverts and comparing speed

jono_h
16-03-2012, 20:48
I was offered my upgrade last week, when I phoned to downgrade my TV.

Currently on the 10meg (the lower one from the 2meg upgrade), but have been sent a SH free of charge and my paperwork says I'll be on BB Large at up to 30meg.
So in some cases it is a 10-30 upgrade and hey are happy to dish out Superhubs.

Not quite so keen on being locked into a new 12mth contract, but I'm not planning in moving.

qasdfdsaq
17-03-2012, 00:33
yup, it makes sense. 30mbit is a nice bottom speed to have and makes a mockery of adsl when it come to adverts and comparing speed
It'd also bring the average VM "fibre optic" connection speed almost up to that of BT.

General Maximus
17-03-2012, 00:45
Not quite so keen on being locked into a new 12mth contract, but I'm not planning in moving.

the speed doubling upgrades dont lock you into a new 12 month contract so you are ok

BenMcr
17-03-2012, 00:46
the speed doubling upgrades dont lock you into a new 12 month contract so you are okSome of the on request ones do if you get new kit.

General Maximus
17-03-2012, 00:53
what about all the peeps clicking this green box on myvirginmedia and being sent a shub? If they were going to get it anyway it is a bit unfair to renew their contract.

BenMcr
17-03-2012, 01:32
what about all the peeps clicking this green box on myvirginmedia and being sent a shub? If they were going to get it anyway it is a bit unfair to renew their contract.As I said, it's only some. If there is a new contract involved it is made clear before hand

ssr
17-03-2012, 06:32
Had this confirmed by retentions yesterday that all 10M users will be doubled to 20M initially and then increased to 30M by year end in most areas, this is due to BT Infinity increasing speeds. Quote "Virgin require to be the best provider"

Could it be that all the doubters and unbelievers have now come round to accept that maybe the guy in retentions who knew nothing was indeed spot on!:cool:

Peter_
17-03-2012, 07:32
Could it be that all the doubters and unbelievers have now come round to accept that maybe the guy in retentions who knew nothing was indeed spot on!:cool:

again as it would require a new Superhub for every single customer below 30Mb the cost would not be viable, accept that he was lying to you.

jb66
17-03-2012, 07:41

Lol, your clueless

jono_h
17-03-2012, 08:52
again as it would require a new Superhub for every single customer below 30Mb the cost would not be viable, accept that he was lying to you.

They were quite happy to send me a SH without charge.

Maybe it is viable if they lock you into a new 12mth contract.

ssr
17-03-2012, 10:39
Lol, your clueless

ye of little faith:rolleyes:

Peter_
17-03-2012, 19:58
ye of little faith:rolleyes:
Not really we are just not stupid enough to believe anything that comes out of a Retentions agents mouth, in fact I would not even trust anything that came out of their backside even if that would be closer to what you have been posting throughout this thread.

The will not be any facts to prove otherwise because quite simply Virgin Media are a business and they will not upgrade people on the say so of an idiot in Retentions.

Kymmy
17-03-2012, 20:28
Anymore religious comments in this thread will be met by the holy infraction grenade of antioch.

Posts deleted now back on topic please

ssr
18-03-2012, 09:31
http://www.digitaltveurope.net/21889/neil-berkett-virgin-media-will-bring-ott-players-like-netflix-to-tivo/

Watch his lips!!

Peter_
18-03-2012, 09:36
So that must include Neil Berkett as well then if you read my previos post

"Virgin Media CEO Neil Berkett says he is open to including OTT offerings from the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm.
Speaking exclusively to DTVE at Cable Congress, Berkett said that the UK cable operator would make TiVo its basic offering, bundled with 30Mbps internet access and telephony".:rolleyes:
Do try to understand what is meant in that statement, it does not mean for one second that the company will throw caution to the wind and upgrade every single person to a Superhub, what it means is that in the future the minimum package to sold be will be 30Mb which is not a free upgrade.

What you fail to realise is that the are people still on 2Mb and the vast majority are on 10Mb and they will not be sent a Superhub on the whim of some idiot in Retentions or because of your rather inane wish to believe said idiot.

In fact the are still people on 512kb packages and even some on 1Mb possibly some still getting broadband through a set top box.

But once again I will reiterate for you

"The is no way that every customer will be put on 30Mb by the end of the year regardless of you blindly believing what a idiotic Retentions agent told because it is not cost effective and it will never happen during the rollout to double speeds."

Now if you still believe otherwise than you are more of a fool than that agent.

You also need to listen again as his main aim is Tivo being bundled with 30mb so do stop trying to put a square peg into a round hole you should have learned the difference as a toddler.

ssr
18-03-2012, 10:48
Peter,
I guess by your number of posts, you feel you have the right to criticize any post that does not fall within your narrow minded views.
Believe me you do not have that right

Nopanic
18-03-2012, 11:05
Peter,
I guess by your number of posts, you feel you have the right to criticize any post that does not fall within your narrow minded views.

opinions aside, he does, its his freedom of speech to give his options so long as they fall within forum rules.

Peter_
18-03-2012, 11:18
Peter,
I actually worked for the company until the 10th February so I know what you were told is not actually going to happen for the reasons I have already posted, the double speed rollout takes precedence over anything else and they are not going to throw a spanner in the works on the say so of some idiot in Retentions giving blag advice.

Remember you have received a Superhub so you are in line for any upgrade but people on standard kit are not and they will not issue 3/4 million Superhubs in a non cost effective upgrade, somehow I rather doubt that Virgin media will pump 30 million pound minimum in a fantasy upgrade from which they would receive no monetary return.

jb66
20-03-2012, 18:29
Well....
Today I installed an L Broadband 30Meg download and 1meg upload!. It seems annoyingly that 30meg might be a minimum for "new" customers by the end of the year. obviously existing customers equipment couldnt handlt more than 20meg

thenry
20-03-2012, 19:18
upgrades in hope will cure everyone on docsis3 but thats exactly it, moving everyone onto docsis3 yet it doesnt have to be 30meg although in this speeeeed world (which i like :D) means bigger number... in hope the end user doesnt run riot... hmmm

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2012, 19:30
Well....
Today I installed an L Broadband 30Meg download and 1meg upload!. It seems annoyingly that 30meg might be a minimum for "new" customers by the end of the year. obviously existing customers equipment couldnt handlt more than 20meg
I think we just broke a record.

Worst upload:download ratio to ever exist in the UK.

jb66
20-03-2012, 19:37
I think we just broke a record.

Worst upload:download ratio to ever exist in the UK.

Still not got the upload increase...

qasdfdsaq
20-03-2012, 19:47
Yeah but even my 50/1.75 is better than that - 28.5:1.

Chrysalis
20-03-2012, 19:57
someone on the VM forums had a 888000 or 800000 (cant remember which) upload on their 30meg config. It in a later post changed to the 2meg upload tho.

General Maximus
20-03-2012, 20:53
Still not got the upload increase...

It is, but it is a negative increase :)

Zee
20-03-2012, 21:47
I've seen a couple of people on the forum who are on 10Mb saying they got calls regarding a free upgrade to 30Mb so there may be some truth to it, we only need to wait and see. Possibly they will begin to upgrade any 512K, 1Mb customers and apparently as far as we know they are already upgrading 2Mb customers to 5Mb.

So no need for everyone to argue, only time will tell...

stevemon
21-03-2012, 09:22
I got a call yesterday offering me upgrade to 60Mb (30 doubled I assume) with free superhub. I am currently on 10Mb. Upgrade on Monday!