PDA

View Full Version : Very slow in RG41

Ken W
01-03-2012, 04:30
Hello,
Is any having probs with brousing in the RG41 area?

151 just get a recorded message saying very busy and phoneing the status it says there are no problems! :(

Ken

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 11:40
have you tried this?

Which modem have you got?

Ken W
01-03-2012, 11:52
have you tried this?

Which modem have you got?

The Virgin Media 256.

10 Mbit broadband.

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 13:05
sorry, i forgot to give you the link :banghead:

https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

Anyways, if it says everything is okay go to 192.168.100.1. Copy the info from the downstream tab, upstream and operational config and paste here

Ken W
01-03-2012, 14:30
sorry, i forgot to give you the link :banghead:

https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

Anyways, if it says everything is okay go to 192.168.100.1. Copy the info from the downstream tab, upstream and operational config and paste here

I cannot get to the link I just get a cannot see web site after 3 mins.

Downstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 2Downstream Frequency : 402750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM256Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmVDownstream SNR : 38.2 dB
Upstream Lock : LockedUpstream Channel ID : 2Upstream Frequency : 22200000 HzUpstream Modulation : QAM16Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream transmit Power Level : 43.5 dBmVUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Download Failed (1)

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

I cannot get to the link I just get a cannot see web site after 3 mins.

Downstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 2Downstream Frequency : 402750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM256Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmVDownstream SNR : 38.2 dB
Upstream Lock : LockedUpstream Channel ID : 2Upstream Frequency : 22200000 HzUpstream Modulation : QAM16Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream transmit Power Level : 43.5 dBmVUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Download Failed (1)

My moden is a VM 256 on the 10 Mbit teir

craigj2k12
01-03-2012, 15:19
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.2 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 43.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

looks fine to me

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 15:31
ya, have you run any speedtests from www.speedtest.net today. It might not be perfect this evening when everyone is home but I think you might have just had a bad spat due to network congestion

Talking about power levels, mine havebeen going down the pan the last couple of days. I am not worried though because i still have no probs pulling 12mb/sec and uploading at 1mb/sec.

Power Level
(dBmV) -4.67 -2.53 -3.50 -3.69

I reckon it is a conspiracy so when I ring up and say something is wrong they can say "well it is obvious your vmng300 is at fault, we are going to do you a huge favour and send you a shub which we guarantee will fix it for you"

Ken W
01-03-2012, 20:49
ya, have you run any speedtests from www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) today. It might not be perfect this evening when everyone is home but I think you might have just had a bad spat due to network congestion

Talking about power levels, mine havebeen going down the pan the last couple of days. I am not worried though because i still have no probs pulling 12mb/sec and uploading at 1mb/sec.

Power Level
(dBmV) -4.67 -2.53 -3.50 -3.69

I reckon it is a conspiracy so when I ring up and say something is wrong they can say "well it is obvious your vmng300 is at fault, we are going to do you a huge favour and send you a shub which we guarantee will fix it for you"

I could not log on to the speed check.
I phoned 151 this after noon only to be cut off twice, on the 3rd attempt I spoke to a agent in India who I could not under stand his accent, he muttered intermittent and takeing 7 days to get an engineer to look into it.

I left my modem switch on and I visited the Virgin Media shop in Reading who got me in touch with the I think Edingburg call center and they did some checks and said my levels need adjusting and logged it as a catagory 5 which he said was a 3 day look at time scale.

I will keep my fingures crosssed.

General Maximus
01-03-2012, 21:11
they were talking about out of their bottoms. They told you 3 days just in case there is a network fault and it gives them time to pick it up and fix it. There is nothing wrong with your power levels and if an engineer comes out he'll take one look at them and leave.

Sephiroth
02-03-2012, 15:43
Ken

Your levels are as good as it gets. I'm in Winnersh too on 50 meg. My frequency plan is different from yours being on the DOCSIS 3 network. You're on the legacy network (6 MHz bandwidth, not 8 MHz, by the way). You'd likely be going onto a legacy server, although that needn't be the case. If it was noise in your local optical node (Wedderburn?), then the stats would show this.

It could be that your optical node is being hammered by other users on your downstream frequency, but I doubt that. So I'd put it down to something at the VM end.

That said, the past two days, peak time, on my 50 meg service have been less than perfect (but nothing like you report). I run the TBB ping and on on a quiet system yesterday, maximum latency shot up and there was packet loss, indicating considerable congestion in my frequency range.

Finally, if web pages are waiting to load, it could be upstream congestion. But why that would suddenly happen is a nystery to me. So something at the VM end is my favourite.

BTW you'll be upgraded to 30 meg later this year. AFAIK the Winnersh area infrastructure hasn't yet been upgraded . I've every confidence that our experience will be better thereafter.

Cheers

Ken W
03-03-2012, 21:17
Ken

Your levels are as good as it gets. I'm in Winnersh too on 50 meg. My frequency plan is different from yours being on the DOCSIS 3 network. You're on the legacy network (6 MHz bandwidth, not 8 MHz, by the way). You'd likely be going onto a legacy server, although that needn't be the case. If it was noise in your local optical node (Wedderburn?), then the stats would show this.

It could be that your optical node is being hammered by other users on your downstream frequency, but I doubt that. So I'd put it down to something at the VM end.

That said, the past two days, peak time, on my 50 meg service have been less than perfect (but nothing like you report). I run the TBB ping and on on a quiet system yesterday, maximum latency shot up and there was packet loss, indicating considerable congestion in my frequency range.

Finally, if web pages are waiting to load, it could be upstream congestion. But why that would suddenly happen is a nystery to me. So something at the VM end is my favourite.

BTW you'll be upgraded to 30 meg later this year. AFAIK the Winnersh area infrastructure hasn't yet been upgraded . I've every confidence that our experience will be better thereafter.

Cheers

It is now at full speed. In had a record call from Virgin Media saying the fault had now been corrected.

Yes I am in Wedderburn, I am on 10 Meg L at the moment so I should be upgraded to 20 Meg within the next 18 months.

You mentioned that I am on the legacy network, what effect dose that have for me?

General Maximus
03-03-2012, 21:22
You mentioned that I am on the legacy network, what effect dose that have for me?

It is all old hardware and basically out of date everything. It doesnt have as much resilience and capability as the newer docsis 3 network they have been trying to get everyone on

Ken W
03-03-2012, 23:39
It is all old hardware and basically out of date everything. It doesnt have as much resilience and capability as the newer docsis 3 network they have been trying to get everyone on

Telecencial first installed phone and TV over 20 years ago, that was taken over by Comtel then ntl and broad band was then available , I was on 120 K, Virgin Media then took over so a rather old installation of our cable network in Winnersh area.

Do you think that Virgin Media will update the network in the Winnersh area?

Sephiroth
04-03-2012, 00:19
Ken

They most certainly will.

My neighbour in Grovelands is on 10 meg and still on the legacy network. I took the Telecential TV service about 15 years ago but only took their broadband (NTL) when it became 20 meg. Never had a problem. I moved to 50 meg 18 months ago.

As I mentioned earlier, you're being upgraded FOC to 30 meg some time this summer. You'll get a Super Hub. They're going to each cabinet and refurbishing the amplifiers. New lasers are going into the optical nodes and I believe additional fibre is being pulled to the optical nodes in order to facilitate the improved upstream (you'll get 3 meg upstream).

Cheers

qasdfdsaq
04-03-2012, 00:35
10mb is only being upgraded to 20, not 30, and won't be getting a Superhub - unless things have changed since VM announced the upgrades.

Sephiroth
04-03-2012, 10:34
I stand corrected.

That said, I believe that Ken will be placed on the "overlay" network and come off the legacy network. Checking back on my 20 meg records, I can see that I was on the overlay network, with DOCSIS 1 sharing with DOCSIS 3.