PDA

View Full Version : 20mb to 30mb and superhub Qs

Smilie
27-02-2012, 20:56
Hi

just want to know

im still on the 20mb and haven't upgraded to 30mb
just wondering if theres still the £30 charge to upgrade it
and will there be a price increase if i do?
as they will upgrade me to 60mb sometime this year anyway
will they still charge for the hub??

still on a old package thats with:

M TV (no +)
M phone
XL BB (20mb)
for £35 or so

want to get the super hub mainly for the G lan
and as old wifi router playing out once in awhile

thanks

Andrewcrawford23
27-02-2012, 20:58
Hi

just want to know

M TV (no +)
M phone
XL BB (20mb)
for £35 or so

thanks
when you get hte free upgrade you will get theshub for free well i say fre euypgrade that really charged to you with tthe april increases lol the shub wireles is crap i suggest jsut buyign a new rotuer and when you do get the shub turn it to modem mode i repeat the shub is crap

General Maximus
28-02-2012, 11:02
as Andrew said above the wireless performance on the shub is rubbish. Any router you get these days will not only support 802.11g but also n which is the latest ratified specification. I would recommend buying a second hand router off ebay to keep you going for now but you'll only be back to square one when they upgrade you to 60mbit because you'll need a shub anyway for when you move on to docsis3.

When you do get upgraded don't even bother giving the shub a chance in routing mode because you will be very disappointed. Treat yourself to a nice linksys router now and then you'll be good to go when the upgrades start. The shub will just be a new modem for you which will make no difference whatsoever.

Tuvoc
28-02-2012, 14:04
I'm in the same boat. I recently got a new DIR-615 off ebay for a tenner, so when the superhub arrives I'll just put in in modem mode and use the DIR-615 for N wireless. My current 4 yr old virgin supplied Netgear only does g speeds.

My understanding is that the superhub will be free, and no contract extension required. Good, because I'll almost certainly jump ship to Sky to get the F1 channel when they offer 40Mb fibre off the BT Infinity infrastructure. The F1 channel must be losing Virgin a lot of customers. Not their fault though that Sky insists on Virgin subscriobers paying £20+ per mth for Sky Sports, in order to get F1. That is Sky being dirty. But, their channel, they can do what they like.

Andrewcrawford23
28-02-2012, 14:08
I'm in the same boat. I recently got a new DIR-615 off ebay for a tenner, so when the superhub arrives I'll just put in in modem mode and use the DIR-615 for N wireless. My current 4 yr old virgin supplied Netgear only does g speeds.

My understanding is that the superhub will be free, and no contract extension required. Good, because I'll almost certainly jump ship to Sky to get the F1 channel when they offer 40Mb fibre off the BT Infinity infrastructure. The F1 channel must be losing Virgin a lot of customers. Not their fault though that Sky insists on Virgin subscriobers paying £20+ per mth for Sky Sports, in order to get F1. That is Sky being dirty. But, their channel, they can do what they like.

sky have no plans to offer fttx off the bt inifity network in the near future so you might be waiting a while

Tuvoc
28-02-2012, 15:01
sky have no plans to offer fttx off the bt inifity network in the near future so you might be waiting a while

I believe they do. It isn't that close though, BT say end of March for my area, and Sky will be some time after that. In any case, I can keep Virgin broadband and switch everything else to Sky. It would be a great shame, I've been totally happy with my Virgin bundle for several years now.

Smilie
28-02-2012, 15:24
I Knew the super hub had problems
When they started sending them out that's why I never upgraded to 30mb
But thought they might of fixed it by now

How bad is it?
Is it just the wifi or wired aswell
All our PCs are connected by wired
And only be using iPad on wireless mainly (old mobile phone usage)

Andrewcrawford23
28-02-2012, 15:34
I Knew the super hub had problems
When they started sending them out that's why I never upgraded to 30mb
But thought they might of fixed it by now

How bad is it?
Is it just the wifi or wired aswell
All our PCs are connected by wired
And only be using iPad on wireless mainly (old mobile phone usage)

its the router poart if you connct more than 1 o2 devices wireed or wirelss it gnerallly falls over

General Maximus
28-02-2012, 15:37
yeah, i think wireless has been more evident than anything else because it just doesnt work at all :) but like Andrew said, even wired, as soon as you start to put any load on it it just dies.

Stephen
28-02-2012, 16:08
I disagree with the above posts, I've used a Superhub for about 17 months now and I get great wireless performance from it. I have many devices using wireless at the same time i.e. Apple TV, PS3, X360, 2 laptops and two iPads and there is always at least 3-4 of them running at the same time.

Its really not as bad as some members on here would have you believe. At the same time you will always here more people voicing their problems on forums than you will people singing its praises.

General Maximus
28-02-2012, 16:14
ok, for a balanced perspective then. I was forced to have shub (long story) when I upgraded to 100mbit and it was pants from the get go. I complained and got my vmng300 back and bought myself a new linksys router to go with my speed upgrade and my linksys router (along with my previous linksys routers) is the bees knees and I have NEVER had any probs with my linksys routers ever.

greyposter
28-02-2012, 16:23
My Superhub works fine.As long as I use channels 6/9/11 it flows.Guess I'm lucky.

Tuvoc
28-02-2012, 17:16
My Superhub works fine.As long as I use channels 6/9/11 it flows.Guess I'm lucky.

Probably normal. I suspect the vast majority of people have no problems at all. The small minority of people with problems post here, and you get the impression that the problems are far worse than they actually are.

qasdfdsaq
28-02-2012, 17:24
https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/

No plans huh?

They've been trialling it for several months.

http://corporate.sky.com/investors/press_releases/2012/sky_builds_on_broadband_growth_with_increased_cove rage_10000_wifi_hotspots_and_new_fibre_launch

Official press release says they're launching in April.

Andrewcrawford23
28-02-2012, 17:48
https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/

No plans huh?

They've been trialling it for several months.

http://corporate.sky.com/investors/press_releases/2012/sky_builds_on_broadband_growth_with_increased_cove rage_10000_wifi_hotspots_and_new_fibre_launch

Official press release says they're launching in April.

no i wasnt meaning no plans i meant that ther eno plans for launch the last tiem i had checked which was mid 2011 , i know they wher eodign trails i neevr said there werent

but thnks for hte links i wasnt aware ofa pmending launch form sky for fibre services

Tuvoc
28-02-2012, 19:51
Yes, Sky are close now, but who knows how quickly they can roll out. It could take them several months to roll out to the major areas. Price will be £20 for 40Mb which is very good I think.

I hugely prefer to get everything from one supplier, so if I have to go to Sky to get the F1 channel, then I want phone and broadband from them too. Perhaps I'd have to stick to Virgin just for the broadband for an interim period, but ultimately everything would go to Sky. Shame they don't have TIVO (which I don't have now) but I already can't keep up with what I'm manually recording on the V+ box, so... To me Sky are the dark side of the force, they've really screwed Virgin on the F1 channel, and it is not a change I would have preferred to make.

Andrewcrawford23
28-02-2012, 20:15
Yes, Sky are close now, but who knows how quickly they can roll out. It could take them several months to roll out to the major areas. Price will be £20 for 40Mb which is very good I think.

I hugely prefer to get everything from one supplier, so if I have to go to Sky to get the F1 channel, then I want phone and broadband from them too. Perhaps I'd have to stick to Virgin just for the broadband for an interim period, but ultimately everything would go to Sky. Shame they don't have TIVO (which I don't have now) but I already can't keep up with what I'm manually recording on the V+ box, so... To me Sky are the dark side of the force, they've really screwed Virgin on the F1 channel, and it is not a change I would have preferred to make.

and that how sky wins by making people force to switch, vote with yoru feet and dnt sign up and everyone should, as i have said before it time sky is broken up ito aplatform and broadcaster that are serperate and ahve to pay each other etc and for all channels to be regulated that sky own premium or not so sky cant not use there market power to win

qasdfdsaq
28-02-2012, 20:18

Not really. You can roll out FTTC to all FTTC areas at the press of a button. They already have backhaul in all the major areas.

Tuvoc
28-02-2012, 22:00
and that how sky wins by making people force to switch, vote with your feet and dnt sign up and everyone should, as i have said before it time sky is broken up ito aplatform and broadcaster that are serperate and ahve to pay each other etc and for all channels to be regulated that sky own premium or not so sky cant not use there market power to win

Well, I've seen first hand how Sky just get what they want by opening their bottomless wallet, totally distorting the market. Something needs to be done about it, they need to be reined in. Maybe I'll resist, who knows. But the prospect of having to settle for half of the F1 races as delayed highlights rather than live is frustrating.

In terms of the original post - I've stuck with 20Mb for ages to avoid the Superhub, but now with modem mode there is no longer any reason not to upgrade. I'm getting one now anyway, with the 20Mb - 60Mb free upgrade. ;)

jenzo
07-03-2012, 09:41
In terms of the original post - I've stuck with 20Mb for ages to avoid the Superhub, but now with modem mode there is no longer any reason not to upgrade. I'm getting one now anyway, with the 20Mb - 60Mb free upgrade. ;)

Getting my upgrade to 30mb next wed and due to be doubled up from July. Excuse my ignorance but i doubt my laptop has N wireless capability. Its a few years old but working fine.

Will the installer setup my wireless to "g" or is it an automatic thing.
If I look at a router and set the shub to modem to I look at a "N" and then I presume I need a dongle for the laptop?

As you can see, my network skills are non-existant.

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 10:05
the router should auto negeitoe th correct speed, however the shub is crap so ic ant say it will, i suggest you put it in modem mode and then attach your own rotuer

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2012, 10:09
To be honest, backwards compatibility and auto-negotiation are extremely basic and fundamental parts of wireless working. If it didn't manage that we'd be seeing a lot more complaints (for example, no iPhones or iPods prior to the iPhone 4 would work).

How well it works it is a different matter entirely... but it will work.

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 10:15
To be honest, backwards compatibility and auto-negotiation are extremely basic and fundamental parts of wireless working. If it didn't manage that we'd be seeing a lot more complaints (for example, no iPhones or iPods prior to the iPhone 4 would work).

How well it works it is a different matter entirely... but it will work.

there a lot fo other standards it meant to meet but doesnt but fair point my suggestion still stands put it in mdoem mode

General Maximus
07-03-2012, 10:57
If I look at a router and set the shub to modem to I look at a "N" and then I presume I need a dongle for the laptop?

As you can see, my network skills are non-existant.

The advice you'll get from all of us is the following:

if your connectivity is primarily going to be wireless then you cant depend on the shub. Put it in modem mode and get yourselt a proper router if you havent already got one and I can guarantee it will works a million times better than the shub. The wireless standards are more to do with speed than distance so if you are happy with your 802.11g devices then you can continue to use an old router if you have got one. Otherwise pretty much all new routers support 802.11 which you'll need to get a dongle for for your laptop but they are only £10 or so.

I'll warn you now, if you are going to connected multiple devices at different speed (e.g 2 laptops, one g and one n) then the router will revert to the slowest speed for compatability so your n laptop will only run at g speed. If you want to connect multiple devives at different speeds I would suggest you get a dual band router (a router which can do both at the same time). I have got one and it is great :)

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 11:00
The advice you'll get from all of us is the following:

if your connectivity is primarily going to be wireless then you cant depend on the shub. Put it in modem mode and get yourselt a proper router if you havent already got one and I can guarantee it will works a million times better than the shub. The wireless standards are more to do with speed than distance so if you are happy with your 802.11g devices then you can continue to use an old router if you have got one. Otherwise pretty much all new routers support 802.11 which you'll need to get a dongle for for your laptop but they are only £10 or so.

I'll warn you now, if you are going to connected multiple devices at different speed (e.g 2 laptops, one g and one n) then the router will revert to the slowest speed for compatability so your n laptop will only run at g speed. If you want to connect multiple devives at different speeds I would suggest you get a dual band router (a router which can do both at the same time). I have got one and it is great :)

my router is able to give it differnet speeds, i did havea b device not now but when i had that i had b/g and n, the b got 11, g 54, n anywhere form 72 to 300

jenzo
07-03-2012, 11:24
Thanks guys

the current setup for my 10mb is a seperate modem and seperate router. I am upgrading to 30mb, then will get the double up to 60mb.

Two things, will the engineer take the old router away? and if they dont will it do the trick if the shub is set to modem.

jb66
07-03-2012, 11:30
Thanks guys

the current setup for my 10mb is a seperate modem and seperate router. I am upgrading to 30mb, then will get the double up to 60mb.

Two things, will the engineer take the old router away? and if they dont will it do the trick if the shub is set to modem.

The tech just takes the modem

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 11:39
Thanks guys

no the old tihng the engineer coudl take is the modem that cant take anything that aint ther eown property and the router is your, yes it work fine wiht teh shub, jsut put shub into modem mode and plug the router into it, everything should work as before as no settings will eb different

jenzo
07-03-2012, 11:54
fab

cheers guys

ssr
07-03-2012, 18:52
as Andrew said above the wireless performance on the shub is rubbish. Any router you get these days will not only support 802.11g but also n which is the latest ratified specification. I would recommend buying a second hand router off ebay to keep you going for now but you'll only be back to square one when they upgrade you to 60mbit because you'll need a shub anyway for when you move on to docsis3.

When you do get upgraded don't even bother giving the shub a chance in routing mode because you will be very disappointed. Treat yourself to a nice linksys router now and then you'll be good to go when the upgrades start. The shub will just be a new modem for you which will make no difference whatsoever.
I have been using the superhub @ 30M for my second free 90 day upgrade with excellent wireless performance, after a couple of tweaks from Virgin technical.
I find it strange to see so many bad reports when my hub acts perfectly giving the full 30M wirelessly

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 18:55
I have been using the superhub @ 30M for my second free 90 day upgrade with excellent wireless performance, after a couple of tweaks from Virgin technical.
I find it strange to see so many bad reports when my hub acts perfectly giving the full 30M wirelessly

some do work fine, but look it this way, you buy 100 say cisco routers you might expect 2 or 3 to be faulty and need replacing but the shub it is more like 95 out 100 needing replaced

jb66
07-03-2012, 19:03

I'm the opposite, after many hubs I've never had one that didn't reboot

General Maximus
07-03-2012, 19:14
some do work fine, but look it this way, you buy 100 say cisco routers you might expect 2 or 3 to be faulty and need replacing but the shub it is more like 95 out 100 needing replaced

i would expect 1 out of 200 (0.5%) Cisco routers to be faulty. I am curious to know what the actual rate is.

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 19:18
i would expect 1 out of 200 (0.5%) Cisco routers to be faulty. I am curious to know what the actual rate is.

if yoru talking enterprise it about 0.004% failure rate home stuff it about 1.5% that rough guess i dnt have the exact figures

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2012, 19:23
Cisco make very few (if any) consumer routers. In fact, they make hardly any consumer equipment of any kind.

Cisco Linksys on the other hand... Most of their stuff is generic OEM faff.

Andrewcrawford23
07-03-2012, 19:51
Cisco make very few (if any) consumer routers. In fact, they make hardly any consumer equipment of any kind.

Cisco Linksys on the other hand... Most of their stuff is generic OEM faff.

i know but people regard the linksys stuff as cisco now and see the cisco as the brand and good brand, just showing the failure rate at consume ris higher than high end stuff, but the shub failure rate is pretty poor

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2012, 20:17
That's the problem with branding, it's meant to make people associate and assume. Except the Linksys products are nothing like the Cisco enterprise core products, the former uses generic OEM parts while the latter are developed in-house by Cisco.

General Maximus
08-03-2012, 00:29
that is good enough for me. The fact that it is even endorsed by Cisco says a tonne for me. You have a choice of two routers, one recommened by Virgin and one recommened by Cisco, which one do you take?

ssr
08-03-2012, 07:16
Hi

just want to know

M TV (no +)
M phone
XL BB (20mb)
for £35 or so

thanks

As it appears that Virgin have now dropped the £30 installation fee for the superhub what have you got to lose by upgrading

qasdfdsaq
08-03-2012, 10:17
that is good enough for me. The fact that it is even endorsed by Cisco says a tonne for me. You have a choice of two routers, one recommened by Virgin and one recommened by Cisco, which one do you take?
What do you say to the fact that Virgin (which used to be known for exceptionally good customer service) decided to "endorse" ntl and sell their brand to them?

cookdn
08-03-2012, 12:26
That's the problem with branding, it's meant to make people associate and assume. Except the Linksys products are nothing like the Cisco enterprise core products, the former uses generic OEM parts while the latter are developed in-house by Cisco.

Yep, Cisco-Linksys is a blatant badging exercise. Nothing wrong with that as Linksys kit was always reasonable for the SOHO market long before they merged into Cisco anyway.

On the other-hand the notion that anything in Cisco Enterprise kit has filtered down to the SOHO kit is a fantasy IMHO. This even applies to SMB kit such as their VOIP handsets.

The firmware in this Sipura-841

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/03/101.jpg

is essentially the same as this Cisco/Linksys SPA-500 series handset

http://www.cigear.com/bmz_cache/3/39e1a24168ac21275c45961117e8c363.image.410x260.jpg

which is styled to look more like this

http://wstelco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cisco_7960.jpg

which is the 'real-deal' (really expensive) Cisco Enterprise VOIP handsets.

Best regards
David