PDA

View Full Version : Superhub £60 for superhub?

Dave42
21-02-2012, 14:43
just tries to change my moden to a suprhub got told £60 one off fee for it is that right for VIP 100 package didnt take it for £60

BenMcr
21-02-2012, 15:05
Actually it's £75 to request to change to a SuperHub without any further upgrade or as part of the uplift program - although if you are on 100Mbit, you should already be on a SuperHub. I assume you declined to have it installed?

Dave42
21-02-2012, 15:08
Actually it's £75 to request to change to a SuperHub without any further upgrade or as part of the uplift program - although if you are on 100Mbit, you should already be on a SuperHub. I assume you declined to have it installed?

no they upgraded automatically on phone when i upgraded never mentioned a superhub

BenMcr
21-02-2012, 15:11
no they upgraded automatically on phone when i upgraded never mentioned a superhubThey've not done it correctly then which is why you are now having issues getting a SuperHub

Dave42
21-02-2012, 15:13
They've not done it correctly then which is why you are now having issues getting a SuperHub

ok thanks Ben

BenMcr
21-02-2012, 15:16
ok thanks BenI would get it escalated to get it sorted as you should have a SuperHub for 100Mbit.

Although it's likely anyone on 100Mbit with a VMNG300 modem will get offered a SuperHub at some point anyway as part of the retier program

thenry
21-02-2012, 15:55
can the OP not just call thinking of leaving.. they should see sense

BenMcr
21-02-2012, 15:57
can the OP not just call thinking of leaving.. they should see senseIs he thinking of leaving?

thenry
21-02-2012, 16:30
i dont know. they sort things out though.

jb66
21-02-2012, 17:28
I only speak to the think of leaving us team

Sirius
21-02-2012, 17:55
Is he thinking of leaving?

He is now Thenry has told him to :rolleyes:

Dave42
21-02-2012, 18:57

nope not leaving not even thinking of it just gonna wait i guess will get one eventually

craigj2k12
21-02-2012, 19:08
ring up again you should be charged, just mention you should have had a superhub from when you got the upgrade

Skie
21-02-2012, 21:37

Well its not like the other tech support option is entitled "Wanting to be fobbed off?"

thenry
21-02-2012, 22:07
Dave you seem relaxed about getting one. id advise you to post on the community forum. itll take them a few days to reply but youll get a free SH posted out to you saving the phone aggro

General Maximus
22-02-2012, 10:03
for goodness sake, none of you have said the right thing yet. Screw the shub. Keep your vmng300 dude and if you are going to cough up £60 better spend it on a decent router which is actually worth it. You can get the linksys E2000 for £63 which will wipe the floor with the shub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B003B20F54/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329904944&sr=1-1

BenMcr
22-02-2012, 10:12
for goodness sake, none of you have said the right thing yet. Screw the shub. Keep your vmng300 dude and if you are going to cough up £60 better spend it on a decent router which is actually worth it. You can get the linksys E2000 for £63 which will wipe the floor with the shub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B003B20F54/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329904944&sr=1-1Except as he is on 100Mbit, he should have a SuperHub for free as part of the engineer install he should have also have had.

As I said before, he'll likely get offered for free at some point due to the speed bump to 120Mbit. Then if he wants, he can immediately put it into modem mode and follow your advice

General Maximus
22-02-2012, 10:25
-MOD EDIT analogy aside this is a family friendly forum-

Don't even bother chasing it up dude. There was a guy on here a few weeks ago who didn't listen and rang up to get a Superhub and as soon as he got it he had nothing but problems and was back on here asking us what router to get. You should consider yourself blessed that they upgraded you over the phone to start off with. I wanted to do that but they refused and I got screwed big time (long story).

Stephen
22-02-2012, 10:38

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B003B20F54/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1329904944&sr=1-1
What you keep forgetting though is thay eventually VM want everyone to be using the Superhub so he will have to get one anyway.

Whether you like it or not the Superhub is VMs CPE choice and its here to stay.

General Maximus
22-02-2012, 10:43

it won't be when I win the euromillions. I am going to team up with VM and Linksys and give everyone a hub for free which actually deserves the desciption of being "super" :)

thenry
22-02-2012, 12:30
it won't be when I win the euromillions. I am going to team up with VM and Linksys and give everyone a hub for free which actually deserves the desciption of being "super" :)

:D

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 15:32
What you keep forgetting though is thay eventually VM want everyone to be using the Superhub so he will have to get one anyway.

I disagree. I don't think VM will ever get everyone to use a Superhub, primarily because I believe the Superhub will be replaced well before that ever happens. VM do not want everyone to be using the Superhub right now as they're still installing non-Superhubs in new installs. They do not want everyone to be using the Superhub eventually as by that time the Superhub will be long obsolete.

I've said many times before I believe the Superhub will need to be replaced for any VM services above 300mbps, if they choose to release that, otherwise it will have to be replaced at the next rollout after 200mbps. Rumour has it the Superhub 2 is already in the works with the hardware choices finalized. My semi-educated guess is the Superhub 2 - or whatever the Superhub's replacement is called - will start rollout within 12-18 months. Absolute maximum of 24 because by that time even the Superhub 2's specs will start to become obsolete. I don't think VM have any intention of replacing circa 4 million CPEs with the Superhub given that timeframe.

The Superhub like any other VM CPE so far, the "current" device that is used for given period after which it will be superseded and replaced with a newer model. They won't be proactively replacing the majority of existing, working CPEs and most users probably won't get one.

BenMcr
22-02-2012, 15:37
as they're still installing non-Superhubs in new installsNo they aren't

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

I don't think VM have any intention of replacing circa 4 million CPEs with the Superhub given that timeframeThere are no plans to force anyone onto the SuperHub*

But any customers that are currently on 20Mbit will require a Superhub to get 60Mbit as part of the retier, plus it's now standard install kit so there will likely be a majority of customers on the current SuperHub in the future

*Except for some customers who are on extremely old kit that may cause issues with the retier

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 15:49
No they aren't
Yes they are. Whether or not that's intentional, it is happening.

There are no plans to force anyone onto the SuperHub*

But any customers that are currently on 20Mbit will require a Superhub to get 60Mbit as part of the retier, plus it's now standard install kit so there will likely be a majority of customers on the current SuperHub in the future

*Except for some customers who are on extremely old kit that may cause issues with the retierYou seem to forget that according to VM's latest report, 71% of customers are on 10mb or less, and so won't be needing a Superhub for this particular uplift. Also according to that report - which doesn't report gross broadband additions, so we have to calculate ourselves - cable signups are at around 700k per year. Taking into account churn, existing Superhub owners, and Superhub disconnections (i.e. a considerable fudge factor), it'd still take 3-6 years before most people had a Superhub.

Again I believe the Superhub will be superseded well before 3 years and most certainly before 6 so I still don't believe there will ever be a time when the majority of customers will ever be on the current Superhub.

Stephen
22-02-2012, 15:49
I disagree. I don't think VM will ever get everyone to use a Superhub, primarily because I believe the Superhub will be replaced well before that ever happens. VM do not want everyone to be using the Superhub right now as they're still installing non-Superhubs in new installs. They do not want everyone to be using the Superhub eventually as by that time the Superhub will be long obsolete.

I've said many times before I believe the Superhub will need to be replaced for any VM services above 300mbps, if they choose to release that, otherwise it will have to be replaced at the next rollout after 200mbps. Rumour has it the Superhub 2 is already in the works with the hardware choices finalized. My semi-educated guess is the Superhub 2 - or whatever the Superhub's replacement is called - will start rollout within 12-18 months. Absolute maximum of 24 because by that time even the Superhub 2's specs will start to become obsolete. I don't think VM have any intention of replacing circa 4 million CPEs with the Superhub given that timeframe.

The Superhub like any other VM CPE so far, the "current" device that is used for given period after which it will be superseded and replaced with a newer model. They won't be proactively replacing the majority of existing, working CPEs and most users probably won't get one.
Whether everyone gets the superhub or a Superhub V2 they will still all have Superhubs :p:

However for the speed doubling happening over the next 18 Months everyone that needs one will get a free one. So thats one ways of making sure as many customers as possible get the Superhub.

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 16:01
Whether everyone gets the superhub or a Superhub V2 they will still all have Superhubs :p:

However for the speed doubling happening over the next 18 Months everyone that needs one will get a free one. So thats one ways of making sure as many customers as possible get the Superhub.
Naming debates aside, yes, everyone who will need a new Superhub for the speed doubling will get one free, but that still accounts for less than 17% of VM customers.

BenMcr
22-02-2012, 16:18
Yes they are. Whether or not that's intentional, it is happening.The only thing apart from the SuperHub that is in stock (for faults swaps) may be the VMDG280

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 16:19
The only thing apart from the SuperHub that is in stock (for faults swaps) may be the VMDG280
Which is exactly the non-Super Hub I was talking about. One person on this forum has reported getting it (in error IIRC) and at least one person I know off this forum has also received one on a new install.

BenMcr
22-02-2012, 16:25
Which is exactly the non-Super Hub I was talking about. One person on this forum has reported getting it (in error IIRC) and at least one person I know off this forum has also received one on a new install.Unless it's for anything a swap for an existing D2 modem or existing D2 Hub it is in error

Virgin's policy is SuperHub as standard, and will soon apply to all fault swaps too once any remaining stock of the D2 kit runs out

General Maximus
22-02-2012, 16:32
the interesting thing is going to be whether shub2 is just as bad as shub1. Although there is no excuse for the current fiasco they should be taking all this learning and applying it to shub 2, making it a semi-decent router. If we have the same problems with shub2, especially with wireless, it will be an absolutely joke and I will have lost all respect for VM.

jordyGFC
22-02-2012, 16:33
Stop beating around the bush with it here. Ring them up and tell them straight.

Your leaving because they did not handle your 100Mb upgrade correctly. You obviously arnt going to leave but ull get a super hub :)

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 16:41
the interesting thing is going to be whether shub2 is just as bad as shub1. Although there is no excuse for the current fiasco they should be taking all this learning and applying it to shub 2, making it a semi-decent router. If we have the same problems with shub2, especially with wireless, it will be an absolutely joke and I will have lost all respect for VM.
While I believe the Superhub's hardware was deliberately cut down to be cheap I don't think it was so cheap to be actually causing faults (apart from the dumb placement of the wireless antennas as mentioned by others). I think most of the problems were down to firmware - indeed, it's violation of WiFi standards out of the box was purely firmware and VM have slyly admitted this and actually decided they might fix it (for some people).

The Superhub 2's hardware, or what I've seen of it, is no longer bargain basement el-cheapo-as-it-can-be-made but is more mid-range - but again, most of the problems on the SH1 were either bad quality control or bad firmware rather than bad by design. Just as much opportunity for them to make it decent or screw it up depending on the suits.

General Maximus
22-02-2012, 16:41
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

yes they did, they upgraded him over the phone and spared him the torture of using a shub. All is good in the world.

kop32
22-02-2012, 17:42

Even if my speed doubles it will still not come near to the speed I actually pay for now (especially between 17:00 and Midnight),when I ring faults they just say it is due to demand...not good enough excuse in my opinion but what else can I do!!.:mad:

And just for the record here is the latest speed test result,I take two at the same time each day and it's via the super duper all singing all dancing Superhub.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1789825232.png

pps I pay for 30 meg service BTW.

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:08
capacity should be improved before speed doubles get pushed but we shall see if it happens properly in all areas

raging bull
22-02-2012, 18:38
Regarding the results of kop32, mine is a steady 9.8/1.00meg on 10 meg.
So why go to 30?

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:41
Regarding the results of kop32, mine is a steady 9.8/1.00meg on 10 meg.
So why go to 30?

That was what I was on before I got talked into upgrading and my speed was a constant 8.5-9.5 meg!!

General Maximus
23-02-2012, 08:49
someone else had this problem last week. It is because 10mbit is on docsis 1 and 30mbit is on docsis 3. He rang up and complained and got himseld downgraded to 10mbit again and he got his old speed back.

thenry
23-02-2012, 13:29
was that a downgrade to a non docsis3 modem/hub too?

General Maximus
23-02-2012, 14:15
I cant remember tbh. i think he said he got his old modem reactivated. you had made several posts in the thread as well. i cant be arsed to look it up :)

thenry
23-02-2012, 14:22
Think I remember, not sure what I said though. Anyway 10Mb is on docsis3 too General.. was it you that got put on it or kwik

General Maximus
23-02-2012, 14:31
Lol, i am on 100mbit so i hope i am on docsis3

thenry
23-02-2012, 14:35
well someone did. complained about oversubbed. got downgraded to 10Mb to only then moan again because he was still on docsis3... 4 down channels lol