PDA

View Full Version : 30M Connection slows down after 17:00 hrs

kop32
20-02-2012, 19:12
Ok, I have had the 30 meg service via the Superhub for three weeks now and every day without fail at around 17:00hrs until after midnight my connection speed falls to less than 6 meg with pings in the region of 40-50,now I know from reading on here speeds are throttled but this is ridiculous,I may as well of stayed on 10 meg as that always gave me between 8-10 meg,any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

PS I use Speedtest.net for test purposes and I have tried via Ethernet and Wireless.:confused:

thenry
20-02-2012, 19:33
only if youve gone over the download limit.. have you?

set up a pingmonitor on thinkbroadband.

kop32
20-02-2012, 19:41
only if youve gone over the download limit.. have you?

set up a pingmonitor on thinkbroadband.

Thanks for the swift reply,I certainly haven't gone over my download limit so not really sure what else it could be.

I will set up a pingmonitor ASAP.

thenry
20-02-2012, 20:27
capacity, someone hitting his or her connection hard. The monitor will tell us more.

You could try tech support but you need a uk agent to get decent info..

make sure youve got respond to ping enabled within superhub setting.. 192.168.100.1 > login > advance settings > dmz page i think

kop32
20-02-2012, 21:07
capacity, someone hitting his or her connection hard. The monitor will tell us more.

You could try tech support but you need a uk agent to get decent info..

make sure youve got respond to ping enabled within superhub setting.. 192.168.100.1 > login > advance settings > dmz page i think

These are my latest figures http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/132977193096393217194.png

thenry
20-02-2012, 21:11
whats your ping monitor like. there should be a share link.. or printscreen/upload

thedogger
20-02-2012, 21:16
Ok, I have had the 30 meg service via the Superhub for three weeks now and every day without fail at around 17:00hrs until after midnight my connection speed falls to less than 6 meg with pings in the region of 40-50,now I know from reading on here speeds are throttled but this is ridiculous,I may as well of stayed on 10 meg as that always gave me between 8-10 meg,any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

PS I use Speedtest.net for test purposes and I have tried via Ethernet and Wireless.:confused:
virgin media throttle speeds or as they put it traffic shape at 1700 till 0000 hours so speedtest.net shud still show ur correct speeds but they use diff ports to test speeds.i can test my speed at 1800hrs speedtest.net will show 50meg.but if i go to d/l via giganews on the newsgroups my d/l speed will be basically dial up.then at midnight bang back up to full speed.

kop32
20-02-2012, 21:33
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/29200371c1d7b58a590b0a9f9968dd8e-20-02-2012.html

thenry
20-02-2012, 21:44
keep the monitor running for a while. it'll auto store each days results.

doesnt look good atm. capacity issue.

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:06
have you taken down the monitor?

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:08
have you taken down the monitor?

how do I copy/paste the results?

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:17
login into thinkbroadband and share your live graph>generate a share link. not sure how you post itin image form in this thread.. wrap the link inbetween...... ?

as for previous days.. again generate a link... show previous days.. click on date then share snapshot>generate link.

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 18:29
Yuck

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:31
Yuck

That's one of the better graphs!!!:mad:

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:33
edit your post above mate. not a real biggy but still your IP is showing. remove the image posted above, edit the post. . use paint or something to rub the ip out

could you upload another graph too mate. on your thinkbroadband monitor page.. click on Show Previous Days.. pick yesterdays or the day before and it'll show results of the entire day.

with what i saw from your montior before and that i think its safe to say your areas max subbed needing upgrading.

whats your speed doubles ETA.. capacity is said to being upgraded before the roll out

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:39
edit your post above mate. not a real biggy but still your IP is showing. remove the image posted above, edit the post. . use paint or something to rub the ip out

could you upload another graph too mate. on your thinkbroadband monitor page.. click on Show Previous Days.. pick yesterdays or the day before and it'll show results of the entire day.

with what i saw from your montior before and that i think its safe to say your areas max subbed needing upgrading.

whats your speed doubles ETA.. capacity is said to being upgraded before the roll out

Deleted previous post and am posting a shared link

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/fdc0e7b2371697942cc556cf10046018-22-02-2012.html

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:43
:tu: new link.
:td: graph/results.

post up on the community forum... print screen all your previous stored days, take out your IP via paint or a program of your choice then upload the images. they will then note it :erm:

when do your speed doubles kick in.. what ETA do you get > http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 18:46
While such a graph shows your connection is heavily congested, particularly on the upstream it seems, though I can't be certain.

Nevertheless it's still pretty bad.

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:47
:tu: new link.
:td: graph/results.

post up on the community forum... print screen all your previous stored days, take out your IP via paint or a program of your choice then upload the images. they will then note it :erm:

when do your speed doubles kick in.. what ETA do you get > http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/

On point 1 I have even been through retentions and they put me through to Cardiff,no joy.

My expected date is Mid April 2012

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:50
same as me. capacity should be upgraded before that rolls out. still a month+.. better than 2013 like some have been told :shocked:

kop32
22-02-2012, 18:55
same as me. capacity should be upgraded before that rolls out. still a month+.. better than 2013 like some have been told :shocked:

Signing off now,thanks for all your help and I may see you on Sunday when we visit "Our Second Home", Wembley.....:D:D:D,Oh sorry you will be still licking your wounds after Milan...

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 18:55
Heh, for me they still have to do the upstream upgrades first, and then then the 100mb rollout upgrades, before they even start on the double speed upgrades.

Be glad the network in your area isn't already two upgrade cycles behind, and about to become three!

(Also, I'm starting to doubt if they'll even manage to hit the already twice-delayed Mar-12 target for the first round of upstream upgrades. Five weeks to go and still no sign of 6.4Mhz upstream channels, let alone the actual config uplift that happens weeks to months after that...)

thenry
22-02-2012, 18:59
:rolleyes:

Andrewcrawford23
22-02-2012, 18:59
im mar to apr 2012 right after the 100mb being made available only been able to order it for 2 week snow

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 19:07
:rolleyes:
Remember the first lucky few who got it in October 2010 (http://web.archive.org/web/20101030160222/http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/discover-broadband/broadband-speed/upload-speeds.html?buspart=DD_31)?

I find it funny how they've now added a +1 to the year digits just to make it look like they're not quite as far behind as they actually are...
The new speeds will be rolled out across the network starting in September [2010] and continuing through 2011.
The new speeds started to roll out in 2011 and will continue through 2012.

thenry
22-02-2012, 20:12
thats not upload ETAs surely qas.. Im sure I got mine before that

qasdfdsaq
22-02-2012, 20:15
Read the link yourself:

Great news, we're increasing the upload speeds on our fibre optic broadband, free of charge! The new speeds will be rolled out across the network starting in September and continuing through 2011.And today:
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/discover-broadband/broadband-speed/upload-speeds.html?buspart=DD_31
Great news, we're increasing the upload speeds on our fibre optic broadband, free of charge! The new speeds started to roll out in 2011 and will continue through 2012. The new speeds are:Yes I know it's a downright lie. No I'm not at all surprised.

Damien
23-02-2012, 11:18
Some posts removed. Please keep on topic

tweetiepooh
23-02-2012, 15:31
I'm on 50Mb and have now started getting less good service between 17:00 and midnight.

Upto August 2011 : nice flat line at 50Mb all day, everyday (average, very few anomalies)

Starting Sept 2011 and getting worse there is a noticeable dip over the aforementioned time period. Min speeds can drop to 17Mb and average is now noticeably dipped.

The data is from SamKnows monitoring so isn't PC or internal connections, the router does the tests.

Did note that Downstream power was in the 12-14 range which according to this site seems a might high. Rebooted SACM lastnight, will see what's what tonight.

Packet loss - negligible until Sept 2011 now it's definitely there (upto 8.5%/day)
Latency - never exceptional but pretty flat until Sept 2011, now much more "wobbly"
RTP jitter - same sort of picture. (Both later had issue upto May 2011 then improved til Sept)
Downstream (raw) - again got worse Sept 2011)

Now my figures are much better than some but still something happened Sept 2011 that has shown as degradation in service, even if I mostly don't notice. But figures are getting worse and Feb 2012 is currently the worse yet.

kop32
23-02-2012, 15:50
I'm on 50Mb and have now started getting less good service between 17:00 and midnight.

Upto August 2011 : nice flat line at 50Mb all day, everyday (average, very few anomalies)

Starting Sept 2011 and getting worse there is a noticeable dip over the aforementioned time period. Min speeds can drop to 17Mb and average is now noticeably dipped.

The data is from SamKnows monitoring so isn't PC or internal connections, the router does the tests.

Did note that Downstream power was in the 12-14 range which according to this site seems a might high. Rebooted SACM lastnight, will see what's what tonight.

Packet loss - negligible until Sept 2011 now it's definitely there (upto 8.5%/day)
Latency - never exceptional but pretty flat until Sept 2011, now much more "wobbly"
RTP jitter - same sort of picture. (Both later had issue upto May 2011 then improved til Sept)
Downstream (raw) - again got worse Sept 2011)

Now my figures are much better than some but still something happened Sept 2011 that has shown as degradation in service, even if I mostly don't notice. But figures are getting worse and Feb 2012 is currently the worse yet.

Reading into the post above it seems that all the "free double your speed" hype will mean nothing if for most of the time the doubling of that speed will only mean getting what you pay for now,ie I pay for 30 meg but get no more than 10-12 meg at the best of time,not a happy camper.:(:(

tweetiepooh
23-02-2012, 15:58
Reading into the post above it seems that all the "free double your speed" hype will mean nothing if for most of the time the doubling of that speed will only mean getting what you pay for now,ie I pay for 30 meg but get no more than 10-12 meg at the best of time,not a happy camper.:(:(

No, my averages even in the worse times are still over 40Mb.

However in Aug 2011 my minimum was around 48-49 where as now the minimum flickers wildly, even down to much lower speeds and there is very noticeable issue between 1700 and 0000.

Chrysalis
23-02-2012, 16:26
Heh, for me they still have to do the upstream upgrades first, and then then the 100mb rollout upgrades, before they even start on the double speed upgrades.

Be glad the network in your area isn't already two upgrade cycles behind, and about to become three!

(Also, I'm starting to doubt if they'll even manage to hit the already twice-delayed Mar-12 target for the first round of upstream upgrades. Five weeks to go and still no sign of 6.4Mhz upstream channels, let alone the actual config uplift that happens weeks to months after that...)

what 100mbit rollout upgrades? haha

I think they just monitor things for a bit after the upstream upgrades and a switch is flicked for 100mbit.

as it seems not many areas had a 5th DS enabled for 100mbit.

qasdfdsaq
23-02-2012, 16:30
If that's the case then the actual effect would be the opposite, the few people disproportionately using excessive amounts of capacity will be able to use twice as much, and the remaining customers who do one thing at a time and can't brute force a youtube video with 100+ connections will end up with less capacity left over to share

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

what 100mbit rollout upgrades? haha

I think they just monitor things for a bit after the upstream upgrades and a switch is flicked for 100mbit.

as it seems not many areas had a 5th DS enabled for 100mbit.
Allegedly there was some resegmenting and node splitting going on, neither of which would be easily observed or proven by external folk like us.

Allegedly.

(Do note that if a node split did happen, that'd be almost the equivalent of going straight to 8 downstream channels)

Chrysalis
23-02-2012, 22:04
I think I would have noticed a node split ;)

even a reseg probably would have been noticed with an outage.

Seems too many stories of people seeing declines in service when 100mbit launched. Also 100mbit often launched either at the same time as upstream upgrades or very shortly after. Given how long it takes for VM to usually do upgrade work it would suggest any upgrade work would have been already carried out (in the form of the upstream upgrades). So I have concluded VM probably considered the upstream upgrades also adequate for 100mbit services, at least in the short term.

qasdfdsaq
24-02-2012, 13:52
They have, for many years, been pushing the service as far as they conceivably could with virtually as little upstream as humanly possible just so they could peddle a higher downstream product. Long-term planning decisions to push extreme downstream at the cost of upstream have long-lasting effects...

That said, I should probably mention BT are currently doing the same thing, deliberately replacing upstream frequencies with downstream so people get higher download speeds at the cost of upload. Though it should be mentioned too that before the change, the bandplan for profile 8c was giving around 3:1 Download:upload ratio which is just humongous and profile 17a and its new bandplan still nets you approximately 5:1 download:upload ratio, double what VM could ever achieve.