PDA

View Full Version : 20mb to 30mb upgrade with superhub - charges

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 14:59
I'm currently on 20MB BBXL and figured that Virgin might like to upgrade me to their 30MB and give me a superhub for free,so I gave them a call.

It turns out that they'd be fairly happy to give away their superhubs,but that's not the end of the story - they want an extra seven quid a month for the "upgrade" to 30MBs.

I was under the impression that since I'm already on XL that the only potential cost for the upgrade would be the fee for the superhub?

Andrewcrawford23
16-02-2012, 16:23
I'm currently on 20MB BBXL and figured that Virgin might like to upgrade me to their 30MB and give me a superhub for free,so I gave them a call.

It turns out that they'd be fairly happy to give away their superhubs,but that's not the end of the story - they want an extra seven quid a month for the "upgrade" to 30MBs.

I was under the impression that since I'm already on XL that the only potential cost for the upgrade would be the fee for the superhub?

why bother upgrding you will be upgrade to 60mb for free in the near future

BenMcr
16-02-2012, 16:32
I was under the impression that since I'm already on XL that the only potential cost for the upgrade would be the fee for the superhub?Depends on the bundle you are on - if you are paying less for XL 20 than you should it'll cost you more to upgrade to XL 30

General Maximus
16-02-2012, 17:52
figured that Virgin might like to upgrade me to their 30MB and give me a superhub for free

that is great, I am going to have to save that for the future. It is like me saying "well I do all my shopping at Sainsburys so I think they should upgrade me and give me all Taste the Difference food and better yet, deliver it for free as well.

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 18:05
why bother upgrding you will be upgrade to 60mb for free in the near future

It'll be at least a year and a half before any theoretical upgrades might come our way,and it seems unlikely that we'll get anything "for free".

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Depends on the bundle you are on - if you are paying less for XL 20 than you should it'll cost you more to upgrade to XL 30

How would I know if I was paying "less" since it's (20mb) no longer listed as an option?How could I ever hope to deceipher the bizzarre sytem of Virgin discounts and rebates?

It seems to me that although I'm listed as being XL broadband,that I'm only getting the second rate version but paying all the money.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

that is great, I am going to have to save that for the future. It is like me saying "well I do all my shopping at Sainsburys so I think they should upgrade me and give me all Taste the Difference food and better yet, deliver it for free as well.

I guess the situation I'm in now is like going to the supermarket and only being offered all of the rotten old out of date stuff from the dumpster out back,but at the same prices everyone else pays for the fresh stuff...

craigj2k12
16-02-2012, 18:15
ring up retentions see what they can do for you

thenry
16-02-2012, 18:18
as craig said ring up thinking of leaving.. 150 from your VM homephone > option 5 then 2.

that said whats your bill like at the moment, could you post up all charges?

have you considered BT Infinity?

BenMcr
16-02-2012, 18:18
How would I know if I was paying "less" since it's (20mb) no longer listed as an option?How could I ever hope to deceipher the bizzarre sytem of Virgin discounts and rebates?Overall, do your total services cost more than they would do for a new customer or less?

Peter_
16-02-2012, 18:19
If he is already on a Retentions deal then the is probably little they can do as it usually means they are already paying less than everyone else.

Then again £1.75 a week is not much for a 10Mb rise in speed.

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 18:19

Retentions was who I spoke to.

I was under the impression that the upgrade to 30MB just meant paying for the Superhub - I'd not seen any mention of a monthly increase too.

BenMcr
16-02-2012, 18:26
Retentions was who I spoke to.In that case it's likely you are definately paying less, as they would have probably offered you the best deal they had available which normally has some leeway on the new customer pricing in the first place

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

I was under the impression that the upgrade to 30MB just meant paying for the Superhub - I'd not seen any mention of a monthly increase too.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

Customers on non-standard pricing (such as loyalty discounts) must move to standard pricing to be eligible for offer

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 18:26
In that case it's likely you are definately paying less, as they would have probably offered you the best deal they had available which normally has some leeway on the new customer pricing in the first place

Retentions just tried to talk me into downgrading my other services to pay for the broadband 'upgrade'.

thenry
16-02-2012, 18:28
your telling us half the story, and its not clear. could you at least make things clear by posting what services you have and how much you pay including paper bill if you have it, non direct debit etc.

Peter_
16-02-2012, 18:30
Retentions was who I spoke to.

Its £30 for the Superhub and your price has to align with everyone else so you may have a retention deal from a previous call.

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 18:41
In that case it's likely you are definately paying less, as they would have probably offered you the best deal they had available which normally has some leeway on the new customer pricing in the first place

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

http://shop.virginmedia.com/existing-customers/customer-offers/upgrade-to-faster-broadband.html

I have a "triple combo loyalty discount" that's 'worth' £27 on its own - Virgin overcharge us and then bring the cost back down with silly discounts just to deliberately confuse the issue.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Why do I get the feeling that I'm having an online discussion with a bunch of Virgin Media staff?
Is this what you guys do in between answering calls from disgruntled customers?;)

thenry
16-02-2012, 18:43
BenMcr is the only VM employee...

The combo discount is one thing, additional discounts is something else. why are you avoiding posting your charges/services etc. do you subscribe to naughty channels?

Peter_
16-02-2012, 18:54
I have a "triple combo loyalty discount" that's 'worth' £27 on its own - Virgin overcharge us and then bring the cost back down with silly discounts just to deliberately confuse the issue.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Why do I get the feeling that I'm having an online discussion with a bunch of Virgin Media staff?
Is this what you guys do in between answering calls from disgruntled customers?;)
Ben is the only employee in this thread but he knows about account issues as that is his area.

I was an employee up to last Friday but in technical support, but have seen this same thing posted many times on various forums and from customers on the phone, probably why you think the is more than one employee here.;)

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

BenMcr is the only VM employee...

The combo discount is one thing, additional discounts is something else. why are you avoiding posting your charges/services etc. do you subscribe to naughty channels?
In his account notes the will probably be a discount with RET listed next to it which may not show on a bill.

thenry
16-02-2012, 18:57
In his account notes the will probably be a discount with RET listed next to it which may not show on a bill.

Could the OP ask for a full breakdown from retentions or have them send out a letter in which has all services/charges/discounts listed ?

Peter_
16-02-2012, 19:03
Could the OP ask for a full breakdown from retentions or have them send out a letter in which has all services/charges/discounts listed ?
They will tell him what is causing the bill to go up by £7 if he asks them over the phone at which point he can decide if he wants the discount or the uplift in speed.

Rileylou
16-02-2012, 19:24
They will tell him what is causing the bill to go up by £7 if he asks them over the phone at which point he can decide if he wants the discount or the uplift in speed.

It was actually £6.47 they wanted taking my bill to £62.96,I have an additional loyalty discount of £1.75,dunno what for,and they said that a couple of pounds was the upcoming price rise being brought forward for some reason.

Can't see much point in posting all my billing details online,since you're all just going to tell me that I'm going to have to pay the full price as if I was a new customer signing up for the first time,which I'm not.

thenry
16-02-2012, 19:37
upcoming price increase brought forward? for what reason? the new price increases surely wont automatically lock everyone into a new contract when it becomes active so VM can hardly say it works out that way.

your bill posted on here would actually help understand.

Slyder
16-02-2012, 19:53

Ive only skimmed this thread, but hows this..

Your willing to upgrade so you can get a superhub? I'm sorry, but I would strongly advise you stay away from the hub

And no.. I dont work for Virgin, BT, Sky or anyone in communications lol

BenMcr
16-02-2012, 20:26
I have an additional loyalty discount of £1.75,In that case you are definately on a bundle that will charge less than the current standard prices for 30Mbit, which is why you are being asked to pay more

So your choice is either do nothing now, and get upgraded to 60Mbit (including a SuperHub) as per the schedule at www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed (http://www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed)

OR

Upgrade to 30Mbit now (including a SuperHub), pay extra and then get upgraded to 60Mbit as per the schedule at www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed (http://www.virginmedia.com/doublespeed)

Your choice

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

upcoming price increase brought forward? for what reason? the new price increases surely wont automatically lock everyone into a new contract when it becomes active so VM can hardly say it works out that way.Actually, since the 1st Feb if you agree to a new bundle which involves a new contract, then the price quoted is the post-April price.

This means that the price change clause is negated as you've accepted a price which won't go up again in April

thenry
16-02-2012, 20:56
so VM have covered their rears. shame they didnt/dont take that stand in all areas.. before customers get fed up and voice their frustration.

Rileylou
17-02-2012, 12:05
So if I paid the extra monthly money now to upgrade from 20mb to 30mb where would that leave me when all the other 20mb customers are eventually upgraded to 60mb for free?

Seems like we'd then be paying different amounts for the same service?

Andrewcrawford23
17-02-2012, 12:07
So if I paid the extra monthly money now to upgrade from 20mb to 30mb where would that leave me when all the other 20mb customers are eventually upgraded to 60mb for free?

but you are paying less than someone witht eh same package as oyu since oyu havea retention deal

Peter_
17-02-2012, 12:08

It depends what you want from your connection and if you are happy to wait XX amount of months for the upgrade to go through, the ball is firmly in your court.

BenMcr
17-02-2012, 12:27
So if I paid the extra monthly money now to upgrade from 20mb to 30mb where would that leave me when all the other 20mb customers are eventually upgraded to 60mb for free?You'd also get upgraded to 60Mbit

Both XL 20 and XL 30 will both become XL 60

Rileylou
17-02-2012, 12:50
but you are paying less than someone witht eh same package as oyu since oyu havea retention deal

But the numbers don't seem to add up,I only get £1.75 off with my "deal".

I get the feeling that how much we pay depends on how much they can diddle us out of with their "deals" and that nobody pays the same as anyone else?

Is this how the billing system works at Sky too?

BenMcr
17-02-2012, 12:56
But the numbers don't seem to add up,I only get £1.75 off with my "deal".It it would cost £7 to go from XL 20 to XL 30 then you are paying £7 less for it that the current customer price.

Some Customer Relations deals are made up of two parts - a main adjustment that takes the bundle below the current customer price, and then a 'line rental matcher' which is the extra £1.75.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

But again to point out, your best course of action is to not do anything. That way you will get an upgrade to 60Mbit and keep the price that you are happy with

Rileylou
17-02-2012, 13:07
It it would cost £7 to go from XL 20 to XL 30 then you are paying £7 less for it that the current customer price.

Some Customer Relations deals are made up of two parts - a main adjustment that takes the bundle below the current customer price, and then a 'line rental matcher' which is the extra £1.75.

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

But again to point out, your best course of action is to not do anything. That way you will get an upgrade to 60Mbit and keep the price that you are happy with

So whats going to happen after the 60MB upgrade - with the 20MB customers then be made to pay the same as the 30MB customers?

It would seem unfair to expect the customers that upgraded to 30MB to continue to pay seven quid extra for the same 60MB service...it doesn't add up does it?

BenMcr
17-02-2012, 13:14
It would seem unfair to expect the customers that upgraded to 30MB to continue to pay seven quid extra for the same 60MB service...it doesn't add up does it?Most customers are paying roughly the same for XL 20 as XL 30. The only reason there wasn't an automatic upgrade last year was because the SuperHub was new it couldn't be provided to everyone, so it was done as an on demand upgrade with a £30 activation fee.

You are paying £7 less than they are