PDA

View Full Version : Two Installations

fadsarmy
13-02-2012, 10:45
Hi. We have 2 houses next to each other.

House A has cable installation at the rear of the house and does not subscribe for internet.

House B has cable installation at the front of the house and subscribes for internet.

House B have their Virgin router at the rear of the house and have therefore connected their router to house A through an external cable.

We now need another subscription in house A.

Can the new router be attached to the same installation (there is a spare connection) or tell house B to use their own.

Stuart
13-02-2012, 10:54
Virgin don't generally allow two Internet connections to one house, unless the house has been divided into flats.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

fadsarmy
13-02-2012, 11:02
Virgin don't generally allow two Internet connections to one house, unless the house has been divided into flats.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

There are two houses.

danielf
13-02-2012, 11:09
If you've got separate installations/subscriptions for the two houses there should be no problem adding internet to the one that doesn't have it.

I wonder why you would want to pay for a second installation though. Surely, sharing one installation between the house will be the cheaper option?

qasdfdsaq
13-02-2012, 12:19
House B shouldn't really be using the connection from House A, but nevertheless it normally works fine.

As you know you can move modems between connection points freely. As such, if you were to subscribe house A to use VM, I'd suggesting hiding B's modem on the day of the engineer visit (if any) but you'd otherwise be perfectly OK to proceed as normal.

(Trivia: Hundreds of modems can be connected to one attachment point given the right conditions, as all the cables merge eventually anyway, even if they don't merge in your house they'll inevitably be merged in your street or cab)

BenMcr
13-02-2012, 13:15
Virgin don't generally allow two Internet connections to one house, unless the house has been divided into flats.That's not exactly true anymore. You can request to have two connections in the same address, but there restrictions on it and you have to get the existing account holders permission.

fadsarmy
13-02-2012, 13:28
House B shouldn't really be using the connection from House A, but nevertheless it normally works fine.

As you know you can move modems between connection points freely. As such, if you were to subscribe house A to use VM, I'd suggesting hiding B's modem on the day of the engineer visit (if any) but you'd otherwise be perfectly OK to proceed as normal.

(Trivia: Hundreds of modems can be connected to one attachment point given the right conditions, as all the cables merge eventually anyway, even if they don't merge in your house they'll inevitably be merged in your street or cab)

Thanks. At last, someone understands what I meant. House B's modem is in house B. There's just a cable going into house A attachment point. So the engineer won't see the modem.

Will there be any speed drop though with two modems on the same line?

Graham M
13-02-2012, 16:36
Will there be any speed drop though with two modems on the same line?

If it get's done properly then no

fadsarmy
14-02-2012, 14:29
I wonder why you would want to pay for a second installation though. Surely, sharing one installation between the house will be the cheaper option?

I didn't know one will be cheaper than two but thanks for letting me know.