PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Why does my IP address change when..

Efour
05-02-2012, 19:03
Hi there,

Why does my external IP address change when i run the superhub in modem only mode?

Does it get routed differently?? Im reasonably technically minded but i don't get this at all.

Please explain :)

Andrewcrawford23
05-02-2012, 19:06
Hi there,

Why does my external IP address change when i run the superhub in modem only mode?

Does it get routed differently?? Im reasonably technically minded but i don't get this at all.

Please explain :)

everytime a new device is conencted is new mac of amachine it will generally givea new ip it one way to get anew ip, why does it change in rotuer mode the rotue gives the modem part of the shub a mac that is internal of the shub rotuer part but in modem mode the rotuer part is isable and the amc of the deivced connected is seen hope tha helps

Efour
05-02-2012, 20:43
Hmm surely it only has 1 MAC and the modem part is the only part that is ever connected to the Network in both cases? so the MAC never changes.!?

confused now...

HELP :)

Nopanic
05-02-2012, 20:56
Hmm surely it only has 1 MAC and the modem part is the only part that is ever connected to the Network in both cases? so the MAC never changes.!?

confused now...

HELP :)

The lease is granted to the attached device, not the modem.

Efour
05-02-2012, 21:02
ok so its the network card in modem mode?
And the inbuilt router in Router mode ?

If i connected my own router id get assigned 3rd different IP address?

am i getting it right yet?

Kymmy
05-02-2012, 21:03
To expand on that, the router side of the superhub has it's own MAC and it's that MAC which leases the address, when you put the superhub into modem mode the attached device is the external router (or PC) hence it then leases a new address..

Andrewcrawford23
05-02-2012, 21:03
ok so its the network card in modem mode?
And the inbuilt router in Router mode ?

If i connected my own router id get assigned 3rd different IP address?

am i getting it right yet?

yes

network card of the deivce connected in modem mode

inbuilt router mac in rotuer mode

own rotuer mac if rotuer connected in modem mode

sorry for confusing oyu more

Efour
05-02-2012, 21:10
hehe its fine thanks for the help :)

horseman
07-02-2012, 19:43
Impressive - and they managed to bumble thru all that explanation without even mentioning Layer 2 transparent bridging, private/public Ip addressing, dhcp relay agents, and cmts mac/ip snooping tables or walled gardens….. ;)

qasdfdsaq
07-02-2012, 21:00
Gardens are for the weak. As are walls.

Now about all that other stuff...