PDA

View Full Version : Superhub Superhub Q's

db133
04-02-2012, 18:28
New VM superhub arrived, how super are they ?

Does it have an improved modem inside it ?

Any fitting tips ? Looks easy enough to do.........

thenry
04-02-2012, 18:58

Login...
Admin
changeme

Advanced settings below the 3 red boxes...

---------------

You moving from the old modem to the SH? VMs B'town network is a joke

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Out of curiousity when do the free upgrades roll out for you?

Skie
04-02-2012, 19:04
Weak wifi, average routing and a decent DOCSIS3.0 modem.

If you have the VMNG300 stick with that until it dies or your service goes to pot. Most of us see lower latency with that than the Superhub in modem mode too.

v0id
04-02-2012, 19:32
Weak wifi, average routing and a decent DOCSIS3.0 modem.

Not for every Superhub user ;)

Skie
04-02-2012, 20:05
Thats more down to environmental circumstances and usage. The superhub has 2 antennas in a poor position and an underpowered CPU. Compared to a half decent router it is poorly specced. Some people will get some mileage out of it, but its still true.

Especially when put against VM's claims about the capability of the device.

hjf288
04-02-2012, 23:19
About as super as a kick in the nuts...

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 03:37
Not for every Superhub user ;)
Yes it is, just not every user cares or notices.

Again, the wireless is so b0rked it doesn't even qualify for WiFi certification, yet the only reason for that is because VM decided to screw with it for their own nefarious purposes.

That, and the might-as-well-be-junk underpowered previous-generation-before-last processor driving it was outdated a year before it was released, having not been competitive since 2007. The last time a decent device carried such a slow processor was April 2006.

vmfriend
05-02-2012, 09:14
Yes it is, just not every user cares or notices.

Again, the wireless is so b0rked it doesn't even qualify for WiFi certification, yet the only reason for that is because VM decided to screw with it for their own nefarious purposes.

That, and the might-as-well-be-junk underpowered previous-generation-before-last processor driving it was outdated a year before it was released, having not been competitive since 2007. The last time a decent device carried such a slow processor was April 2006.

Do you have some sources for this information as I would be interested in reading it.

kwikbreaks
05-02-2012, 09:18
Do you have some sources for this information as I would be interested in reading it.
The complaints about it here, on the VM community board, and just about any other forum with a section for VM cable would be a good starting point for your self education.

vmfriend
05-02-2012, 09:22
The complaints about it here, on the VM community board, and just about any other forum with a section for VM cable would be a good starting point for your self education.

I am well aware of the comments in this forum and others, maybe I should of specified, I am interested in the source for the claims related to the use of an out of date processor and what device last used it in 2006.

db133
05-02-2012, 10:42
Hi

At the moment I have one of these :
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/46.jpg

Which I feel is working ok. So do I change over to the superhub (do not require wi-fi at the moment) or just leave it alone which I must admit appeals to me. I have just received my VM junk mail which informs me Richard Branson is going to be doubling my speed from 10Mb to 20Mb.

1. With all his money he should delegate it out to someone else.

2. Best to sort out the drops down to 3 to 4 Mb first.

3. Will I be able to receive 20Mb if and when Richard turns it on ?

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Login...
Admin
changeme

Advanced settings below the 3 red boxes...

---------------

You moving from the old modem to the SH? VMs B'town network is a joke

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Out of curiousity when do the free upgrades roll out for you?

What free upgrades ? (sorry I'm a bit slow now !)just received mail shot which says up to 18 months I'l go and have a look and pop back.... Just found out BN1 is from July onward. What does 'from July onward' tell us ?

banjo
05-02-2012, 11:33
Hi

At the moment I have one of these :
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/46.jpg

Which I feel is working ok. So do I change over to the superhub (do not require wi-fi at the moment) or just leave it alone which I must admit appeals to me. I have just received my VM junk mail which informs me Richard Branson is going to be doubling my speed from 10Mb to 20Mb.

1. With all his money he should delegate it out to someone else.

2. Best to sort out the drops down to 3 to 4 Mb first.

3. Will I be able to receive 20Mb if and when Richard turns it on ?

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

What free upgrades ? (sorry I'm a bit slow now !)just received mail shot which says up to 18 months I'l go and have a look and pop back.... Just found out BN1 is from July onward. What does 'from July onward' tell us ?

Please stay with the modem shown as I "upgraded" to 30meg from 10meg , when I started to use the shub my service became unusable and after a week i had to go back to my old modem as the shub was slower than my old set up and it would constantly need rebooting and was driving me round the bend !

thenry
05-02-2012, 11:50
free upgrades ETA > http://doublespeed.virginmedia.com/

B'town network sucks. normally people revert back to docsis 1.1/2 after failing with docsis 3 but in your case your screwed either way. I've seen B'town users post up some pathetic stats. having said that users were given dates of fixes or work around fixes.. you could always try docsis3, the SH see how you get on if it plays up and your getting worse speeds etc. on it then revert back to your trusty modem you already have linked up.

100Mb in B'town is set to become available in April, capacity set for a proper upgrade is beyond me... I'd guess closer to your free upgrade ETA

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

your somewhat maxing out now with your modem ?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33685320-brighton-4277kpbs.html

Andrewcrawford23
05-02-2012, 12:45
I am well aware of the comments in this forum and others, maybe I should of specified, I am interested in the source for the claims related to the use of an out of date processor and what device last used it in 2006.

open one up you might get your answer first hand ;)

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 13:43
Again the info is all over this forum.

vmfriend
05-02-2012, 18:40
Searched all over for a 'tear down' but couldn't find one.

qasdfdsaq
05-02-2012, 18:54
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33684510-what-hardware-versions-revisions-superhub-there.html