PDA

View Full Version : want VM in room upstairs-what kind of splitter?

zola69
04-02-2012, 16:58
hi,
i have a 3 way splitter at entry point to property-tv/modem/cable box..wish to add a box upstairs-do i just make the 3way a 4way splitter and get acquired length of cable off ebay, i have a hd box on the way so thinking my vbox can go
into bedroom
thanks in advance

nodrogd
04-02-2012, 17:15
What exactly are you doing. If the HD box is a self-install addition rather than a replacement, VM would provide you with a splitter, though they don't normally do self-installs for multiroom, as it may affect signal levels. If it's a replacement for the other box, they will expect the old box to be returned within a specified period.

zola69
04-02-2012, 20:37
the HD box is a self-install upgrade-ive been told not to bother returning the old v box,so thought may as well get some use out of it- the lead for cable modem goes up stairs to bedroom-i was thinking of putting a splitter on that and connecting box to it (as well as modem) will this work--other option was to put a 4 way splitter onto may entrance of vm and add enough cable to go upstairs

Graham M
04-02-2012, 20:54
The card from the old box will go in the new box, rendering the old box useless.

nodrogd
05-02-2012, 00:45
As Graham says, the new box uses your existing viewing card. As soon as you activate the new box, your old box will be wiped off the system. They don't want it back!. No wonder these things end up on eBay and people waste their money buying them.

zola69
05-02-2012, 09:48
As Graham says, the new box uses your existing viewing card. As soon as you activate the new box, your old box will be wiped off the system. They don't want it back!. No wonder these things end up on eBay and people waste their money buying them.

thanks for the info guys! i did buy a v box off ebay 2 years ago-never got it installed and put it back on sell-it was sold for the price i bought it for;)

ok 1 last question...previous owner has left sky dish up and cable coming in..
ive read that a freesat box will recieve the sky signal(free to air channels)
is this right?

Graham M
05-02-2012, 11:49
A "FreeSat" box will receive the FreeSat channels which are broadcast from the same satellites.