PDA

View Full Version : 50M Really Frustrating :(

savvychels
01-02-2012, 18:36
Off and on for the past 2-3 weeks (more often than not) I am getting speeds of only 10MB or less. Pings of 70-100, stuttering pages, pages hanging forever. Upload seems to be consistent at 5mb, but I'm not getting anywhere near the 50mb I'm supposed to be getting for download. Half the time the speedtest server hangs during the test today, that's if I can even get the original page to load.

I rang CS about a week or so ago and they said there was an issue that had been from the 17th. I can't remember when they said it would be fixed, but I think I might have a Feb 2nd date in my head. They did give me a credit on my bill.

When I check the status page there is never an issue - it's always 'good service', so if there is a recognised overload issue in the area then how can it say good service and if it's an issue that's expected to hopefully be fixed say 3 weeks from when it started why isn't it showing on the page?

Does anyone know any more about this? I can try calling CS again, but just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this. I've had a browse through subject titles, but not sure if it's the same issues I'm seeing.

At this point I don't care about the double speeds, I'd be happy with half speed LOL.

As I finish writing this I'm heading over to the official forums as well.

I guess I'm just frustrated and want to know I'm not the only one in the same boat, and to know if anyone has heard of a fix date and what the actual issue is?

Just taken when I could finally get it to load

http://www.pingtest.net/result/55884822.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/02/106.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

The speedtest was done from the Newbury server as my local server kept hanging at 1.3MB download

Andrewcrawford23
01-02-2012, 19:02
some issue are listed ont ehte service status page but are on the internal outpage pagesthat vm staff can see

try using google dns or open dns if you aint already,

try downloading a ubutnu torrnet or iso and post hte tranfer rate

vmfriend
01-02-2012, 19:34
Not sure what DNS has to do with but willing to be enlightened.

I would call CS back and confirm the fix date, they should also be able to provide a fault reference number. If it isn't fixed on the date they say call them again.

No-one on here can fix the issues if VM have already confirmed/acknowledged that there is an issue and supplied a planned fixed date.

savvychels
01-02-2012, 19:38
running out the door, but I appreciate the post. Unfortunately I'm really illiterate at the technical stuff so haven't a clue what those things are. I don't use torrents, but will have a look when I get back, or download a large file from somewhere and see what the transfer is and will post.

Thanks

My brain finally started functioning a bit better about 10 minutes ago and the wording that escaped me in the original post was 'over-utilization' as the issue...

Will look in when I get back.

vmfriend
01-02-2012, 19:45
My opinion :

VM have acknowledged an issue/problem and provided a fault fix date (albeit you can't remember the date) so therefore I would logically assume that your speediest issues will be related, therefore before changing every setting under the sun, ring VM back, confirm the fix date and then decide on your next course of action.

Andrewcrawford23
01-02-2012, 20:22
My opinion :

VM have acknowledged an issue/problem and provided a fault fix date (albeit you can't remember the date) so therefore I would logically assume that your speediest issues will be related, therefore before changing every setting under the sun, ring VM back, confirm the fix date and then decide on your next course of action.

i suggest dns because of the stuttering pages and pages hanign, to be truthful i dnt think it will help but sometimes it can dns can be strange in that way without packet caputring the raw data it hard to udnerstand why it does it, but i think it wont help but i suggest downloading a file liek ubuntu iso and post the tranfer rate as this can sometiems be mroe accurate than the speed test sites

savvychels
01-02-2012, 22:04
Thing is when I called them a week or so ago my blue light had actually gone to green. I have to be honest and say I don't entirely trust the information I get, so the reason for posting here is not to get someone to fix it (and I certainly don't see anywhere in my first post that suggests that's what I'm after), but just to ask if others are experiencing the same thing at all or if any of the helpful insiders that used to post here may know something more.

I'm happy to ring CS back at some point if it's still this bad tomorrow (this is the worst it's been), but I figure it's worth going in armed with whatever other information I may be able to gain from members here. It's all well and good to get CS saying there is or isn't a potential problem, but as the service status was showing as all ok, it's worth asking if others are experiencing an issue. It's supposedly a long term issue with a potential fix date, yet service status is fine. So who to believe. So I post here and double check, see what others are experiencing and go back to CS armed with a bit more outside info as well as what they tell me which may or may not be accurate depending on which service department picks up.

There used to be a time when this forum was really helpful if someone said 'I'm having this type of issue are others' and at the very least people would know if it was just them so worth pushing VM to do something or an area wide thing in which case wait it out. Now the number of posts I read where the OP is got at with something like 'this isn't VM so what do you expect us to do' or 'no one here can fix it'... That's not helpful and isn't remotely what most people are asking. Some are, but certainly in this case that wasn't at all what the original post was about. And I also stated that I was heading to the official VM forums to see if there was info there.

For those who tried to be helpful I appreciate it, and if anyone knows any more about any areas experiencing this kind of supposed 'over-utilization' issues I'd appreciate hearing from you, same with anyone experiencing the same kind of problems.

I will try and download a file (I've never used torrents so will have a look) and see the transfer rate. I have tried 2-3 speedtest sites and now most are hanging, or getting download speeds of less than 3mb now.

I'll give it till tomorrow in case there's an area issue and ring first thing in the morning when chances are I might get someone in this country to look into it.

savvychels
14-02-2012, 13:14
So have finally managed to speak to someone again regarding this and it's down to 'overutilization' and now the fix date has passed and now moved to the 29th March!!

Off-peak I'm lucky to get 20 meg. At Peak I'm lucky at times to get 1-2meg. Seriously it's that bad! They're talking about doubling the speed, yet I can't currently even get 5% of the speed I'm paying for?

And the thing is I don't do a lot of downloading, I don't do big files, mostly I just surf - but even just surfing it can take ages for a single page to open during peak times.

Like the original title says - not expecting anyone to do anything, but finding it really frustrating :(

tridens
14-02-2012, 19:07
Hi can i ask if you don't download big files and just browse why not save your self some money and get the 10 Meg if you getting poor speed why pay for 50 Meg if you don't get it

Andrewcrawford23
14-02-2012, 19:17
Hi can i ask if you don't download big files and just browse why not save your self some money and get the 10 Meg if you getting poor speed why pay for 50 Meg if you don't get it

most peole who got it n the past where msotl gamers and wanted it for the better upload speeds and at the time better pings but that isnt the cse now but cant say why the op has it just that wha ti have noticed myself if someone wasnt downloading it was for gming

vmfriend
14-02-2012, 19:51
Appreciate your comments but to be honest i couldn't understand the 'change dns' suggestion based on the fact VM had already acknowledged an issue (which they have now confirmed)

Personally i didn't see/don't see the value in changing a number of settings which ultimately were not going to resolve anything considering VM had already told you that there was a fault.

If my post came across as unhelpful then that is your view, it wasn't meant that way.

craigj2k12
14-02-2012, 20:02
changing dns will do nothing at all to help you

Andrewcrawford23
14-02-2012, 20:48
not in this case no, i only suggested it because virgin dns are sometime giving slow responses which oculd cause some of the problem but i ratehr suspect it was ultisation but at least oyu have it confirmed now

vmfriend
14-02-2012, 21:44
Your initial response never mentioned utilisation ;-)

savvychels
14-02-2012, 22:35

VIP50 pack, so it's cheaper this way with everything else we have.

But right now even when it's supposedly giving 10-20 meg it's still stalling out on pages etc. It's not keeping any steady stream of data transfer.

___

I'm confused as who's replying to what. I couldn't remember the term overutilization in my initial post, but in my next post I think I used it.

Keeping in mind this has now been going on in our area since the 17th of January and supposedly originally had a fix date of early Feb and now 28th March :( But yet they're advertising everywhere this whole 'double your speed'. THAT'S actually the frustrating bit. Get the current speeds sorted before the new advertising campaign.

Even if I was only paying for 10meg I wouldn't be getting that half the time - Peak periods I get less than 5, and not steady.

Have had a partial refund for last month and this month for 'less service' which they apparently are authorised to give, but only if they are actually asked about it.

I actually overall am very happy with VM over the years (a FAR FAR cry from NTheLL) and the majority of their offering. Just there are times where they seem to get ahead of themselves.

I wouldn't even mind if I was getting a steady stream of 20 and knew it would take that long to fix, but it's the instability of the connection that really is the final kicker :(

Anyway, moan over. I'm seeing more and more posts about this from other areas as well, so it seems to be a widespread issue, maybe related to the upgrade... who knows.

However it would also be helpful if it was noted on the Service Status because seeing the Status say normal when you know darn well things aren't isn't right either.

Rant over ;)

Andrewcrawford23
15-02-2012, 10:16
Your initial response never mentioned utilisation ;-)

no as i was only suggesting something that maybe coudl hav helped but like most problems i am seeing cusotmer have now i suspect it is because of ulisation it pretty bad when i was there esicpally in some areas and virign aint stop selling the products and altohugh have been doing upgrades to teh capicty i dnt think it enough in teh form of how much there selling

xtopher
15-02-2012, 15:09
Hi Savvychels, Just for your info as we are miles apart (relevant?!) I am here in Berkshire and have been for the last week having what I call 'flaky reception'. I know my router is ok and my modem just stares at me not functioning. On one particular day no amount of rebooting router and modem would kick it into action. Fortunately I have my Panny TV hooked up to Viera Cast so can check connection to the server and often it could not find server. Later that day it just suddenly burst into life. Hope this restores 'some friendliness' and yes I did understand the direction of your first posting. Over-utilisation eh, that's a new on me! Not very techy, xtopher

vmfriend
15-02-2012, 19:41
VM are very very unlikely to provide over utilisation as a reason on the service status page ! I believe the doubling of speeds is related to network upgrades so its 'possible' that this may resolve the issues you are experiencing. (there are other threads about over utilisation and network upgrades)

If i were you i would ring VM every month if it not resolved and get a refund until such time it is.

savvychels
15-02-2012, 20:28
They don't have to necessarily state 'overutilisation' on the status page, but to state that everything's normal isn't right either. They could just be vague and say 'experiencing issues, expected fix date xxx.

Thanks everyone :)

Andrewcrawford23
16-02-2012, 13:17
They don't have to necessarily state 'overutilisation' on the status page, but to state that everything's normal isn't right either. They could just be vague and say 'experiencing issues, expected fix date xxx.

Thanks everyone :)

the service staus page is for that service outages but over ulitsation i believe they dnt need to meantion but they dnt want ot etiehr as it put people off buying

craigj2k12
16-02-2012, 18:00
the service staus page is for that service outages but over ulitsation i believe they dnt need to meantion but they dnt want ot etiehr as it put people off buying

they dont put it on there because the status page applies to the whole area the uBR serves, whereas high utilisation issues only apply to smaller service groups

I should point out that non-customers dont have access to the service status page