PDA

View Full Version : Superhub superhub wireless?

raspberry
01-02-2012, 13:57
Mother in law has now decided not to re-route her broadband cable but go the wireless route instead.
She has the 'superhub' modem,can she simply connect to it wirelesley or does she need a dingle dangle dongle thing to plug in her pc to connect.
Thanks guys.

Andrewcrawford23
01-02-2012, 14:44
Mother in law has now decided not to re-route her broadband cable but go the wireless route instead.
She has the 'superhub' modem,can she simply connect to it wirelesley or does she need a dingle dangle dongle thing to plug in her pc to connect.
Thanks guys.

if the pc does not havea wireless card or wireless usb stick then it will require one first if it does just need ot configure the superhub witht eh cable in first to make sur ehte wireless is secure and you know hte password connect witht eh wireless adapter and then remove hte cable all should be working fine

General Maximus
02-02-2012, 08:51
pcs typically arent wireless so yes you will need a dongle. I dont know if they are still doing it or not but when I got my shub I got a free netgear dongle with it so you can always use that f you was given one. Failing that, depending how you feel about cables and how far away the shub is you can always buy yourself a 10m or 20m cate patch cable for a few £££ and run it round the skirting board

Andrewcrawford23
02-02-2012, 12:08
pcs typically arent wireless so yes you will need a dongle. I dont know if they are still doing it or not but when I got my shub I got a free netgear dongle with it so you can always use that f you was given one. Failing that, depending how you feel about cables and how far away the shub is you can always buy yourself a 10m or 20m cate patch cable for a few £££ and run it round the skirting board

my experaince is some peopel refer laptop to pcs why ia int sure but they do so that why i dnt assume it wont but if it is apc then yoru right the likely hood of it having a wireless card is slim

qasdfdsaq
02-02-2012, 12:43
Laptops ARE PCs.

Andrewcrawford23
02-02-2012, 13:59
Laptops ARE PCs.

not in the defintion that pcs where meant for, pc was meant to refer to a desktop personal computer, laptops where meant to refer to that portable computers

it al depends on yoru up bringing in computer how oyu refer to it

raspberry
02-02-2012, 15:26
Thanks all so far,i'm off round there again in a minute to do something else so i will take the wifes laptop which is wifi enabled to have another go!
If it turns out the in laws desktop is not wifi enabled,where can i get one of those plug in dingle/dangle/dongle things from?
This is of course,assuming that the 'superhub' allows wireless-am i correct in this?

General Maximus
02-02-2012, 17:39
Purely as an example, and I wouldn't go for this one, this is the sort of thing you would be looking at http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20376617/Edimax-EW-7722UTN-300Mbps-Wireless-Mini-USB-Adapter/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=wireless+usb+adapter&urlrefer=search. Bellkin ones go for £16 and Netgear and Linksys would probably be similar or around the £20 mark.

In all honesty though if neither yourself or parent-in-laws are tech savvy i think you are going to have all sorts of problems setting up the wireless on the shub. If I were you I would pay the extra few £££ and buy a decent wireless router which you can setup and you know it is going to work.

Kymmy
02-02-2012, 18:59
Off topic bickering deleted, please stay on topic