PDA

View Full Version : Tool for coax/tv connection

raspberry
31-01-2012, 13:41
Hi,
i was left a few connectors by the install guy when he fitted our tv box as i said i was going to have to extend the cable in the future.(only a few metres)
The future is now here!
Can any one point me in the right direction for the crimping tool to 'put' the plugs on the coax,a link with a photo would be brilliant!!! :D

Thanks.

Peter_
31-01-2012, 14:12
Buy the correct length ready made with a connector from Ebay as the tool will cost a damn sight more.

Click Me. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Virginmedia+extension+cable&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

Sirius
31-01-2012, 14:19
Hi,
i was left a few connectors by the install guy when he fitted our tv box as i said i was going to have to extend the cable in the future.(only a few metres)
The future is now here!
Can any one point me in the right direction for the crimping tool to 'put' the plugs on the coax,a link with a photo would be brilliant!!! :D

Thanks.

The official tools are well over £50.00 a pop

Peter_
31-01-2012, 14:31
The official tools are well over £50.00 a pop
I did not want to frighten him.;)

Sirius
31-01-2012, 14:31
I did not want to frighten him.;)

:LOL:

Peter_
31-01-2012, 14:36
He could buy this one.;) (http://www.dataconnectsolutions.com/crimp-tools/f-type-coaxial/f-crimper-for-rg6/59-and-ct100/prod_83.html)

Better buying ready made from Ebay a lot cheaper.

raspberry
31-01-2012, 15:52
Thanks Peter,i notice the smilie, i take it this is no good?
Are none of these tools from ebay,around £20ish any good?
I will use the tool again but as you say £50 is a bit steep.

Sirius
31-01-2012, 16:06
He could buy this one.;) (http://www.dataconnectsolutions.com/crimp-tools/f-type-coaxial/f-crimper-for-rg6/59-and-ct100/prod_83.html)

Better buying ready made from Ebay a lot cheaper.

Thats the old type tool

This is the one used now, It depends which type of connector has been left

raspberry
31-01-2012, 16:19
Is that old type tool still available/any good for the odd connection?
The connectors the guy left were (here goes for a great description!) hexagonal for the stb connection--round black plastic bit--round metal were the coax goes in and gets 'squashed'.Told you it would be good!!!
Whilst on the subject,where can i get these decent connectors from?
Thanks all for your help so far.

Sirius
31-01-2012, 16:21
Is that old type tool still available/any good for the odd connection?
The connectors the guy left were (here goes for a great description!) hexagonal for the stb connection--round black plastic bit--round metal were the coax goes in and gets 'squashed'.Told you it would be good!!!
Whilst on the subject,where can i get these decent connectors from?
Thanks all for your help so far.

You need the tool i just posted. Last time i needed to order one it was £58.99. Don't think you can buy those tools in the normal high street shops.

Don't know where you would get the connectors

Peter_
31-01-2012, 17:03
Thanks Peter,i notice the smilie, i take it this is no good?
Are none of these tools from ebay,around £20ish any good?
I will use the tool again but as you say £50 is a bit steep.
Click my link and buy a ready made cable of the required length with a male to male connector included, I did when I moved my set top box, it is cheaper and it does the job, most of those guys are probably ex engineers.

raspberry
31-01-2012, 17:14
Thanks,think i will opt for the ready made cable.Apart from having to drill a slightly bigger hole in the wall to get the connector thru' and possibly trying to 'lose' a bit of slack,it has to be the cheaper option.
Thanks to everyone.